Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2017, 12:11 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Coolant Filter

Ok, so the manual for my coach gives a number for a coolant filter. So, in planning on servicing my coach this weekend, I picked one up. So, I drained the oil, changed the oil filter, changed the fuel filter/water separator, did not change the engine mounted fuel filter as I will need to remove the air filter assembly to get to it and didn't have the time this go around. (Has anyone remote located this one? The location is ridiculous!). Went to change the coolant filter........looked and looked but could not locate it. Is there one? If so, where is the darn thing?
2006 Alpine Apex 40FDQS #75583
Yakima, WA
bcruzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2017, 07:16 AM   #2

...can't find the filter--that is because Cummins did away with the coolant filter around 2005 when they went to the Pegasus model engine. That is also when they added the secondary fuel filter mounted on the engine, above the starter. Most owners have been able to change that filter with some effort, without removing the air filter canister. Be careful, unless you disconnect the battery bank, the high amp cables on the starter solenoid are live all the time, so don't contact them with metal tools or filter.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Ok, sounds like I'll be taking back the filter and adding a strike through on that part in the manual. Glad to know I'm not blind! Thanks for the tip on the starter. I was wondering about that as I was looking at it. Thanks!
Yakima, WA
Old 08-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Can you get at the fuel filter over the starter from above by opening the access panel in the floor? My coach is different from yours and has a north-south bed that lifts up to access the top of the engine from beneath the bed platform. Getting at that fuel filter wasn't too bad that way. I have read some posts that the access panel on east-west beds can be hidden under the carpet that is installed with a 100 staples.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #5

The 05 an newer coaches with the bed slide -- have engine access thur the back floor of the bedroom, between the bed and the back closet. Carpet is stapled to the plywood floor panels--two panels in an L-shape: one on the floor, the other on the knee-wall below the closet doors. Don't have to remove the staples but there are 8-10 screws imbedded in the carpet that hold the panels in place--they are hard to find in the carpet pile. 2004 and earlier coaches only had a small 14x14" door in the floor behind the bed--almost useless as access to the engine......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 08-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
It still looks like the easiest access would be to remove the air cleaner assembly and the air cleaner to turbo compressor volute tubing. After that is out of the way, there should be a straight shot to the filter. The bed access is as how Old Scout describes. Still a narrow opening between bed and closet and appears that you would be reaching up under the floor in an odd position to reach the filter. Besides, being in an odd position with a filter full of fuel in and out makes me nervous for spills. Don'd need the bedroom smelling like fuel for next two months. There is absolutely no access from the front (rear) of the engine or from the bottom. This filter really needs to be remote located - if its even possible.
Yakima, WA
Old 08-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #7

Lots of discussion on whether the fuel filters need to be pre-charged. Always wondered where you get "clean" diesel to fill the filter with????? With the lift pump available, I have never pre-charged the fuel filter--14years and 170k miles--no issues.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 08-22-2017, 12:59 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Lots of discussion on whether the fuel filters need to be pre-charged. Always wondered where you get "clean" diesel to fill the filter with????? With the lift pump available, I have never pre-charged the fuel filter--14years and 170k miles--no issues.....

Just following the manuals as outline by Cummins. It also states on the filter to pre fill (both fuel and oil filter). Fairly large filters and that's a lot of air to purge through the system and running your pump dry. Back in my truck driving days, there was another company that hauled for the company I worked for. The owner of that company would NEVER change the oil in his rigs. He would get 750k+ miles out of them so you couldn't really argue with him about it. He would regularly change filters and top those new filters off with fresh oil. He had a driver once that pulled his truck into the shop and started changing the oil. He was fired on the spot. Now, would I do that to my rig just because it worked for him? Probably not.
Yakima, WA
Old 08-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #9

Won't debate with experience, especially "blue-collar" experience. Always pre-charge the new oil filter when I change it--use some of the plastic shipping wrap from the new filter to place over open end of the filter as I position it to thread on the mount. Fuel filter mount on my 2003 has a vent plug so I can "prefill" the filter with gravity feed from tank. My 2003 era engine doesn't have the secondary fuel filter mounted on the engine so not an issue for me. If I were to pre-charge a fuel filter, guess I would be concerned about finding clean/filtered fuel to put in new filter [unless you pour fuel in outside ring of filter???]. Would also need to keep filter opening protected from dirt/debris prior to/while mounting on engine......
New Braunfels, Texas