Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2006, 02:59 PM   #1

Hi fellow Alpiners, we are new owners of a used 2003 36MD., and live in Indio, Cal. (near Palm Springs) Looking for info on the right coolant, going to change it and the filter my self. Can't buy Fleetguard Compleat in this area. Can someone recommend a fully formulated low silicate antifreeze or coolant that meets TMC RP 329 or 330 and ASTM4985 spec's.?

Also, ref. DCA4 additive. Verify if I am on the right track. Cummins booklet states system needs average 1.5 units @ 1 gal. At about 11 gal's.=16.5 units. A WF2074 filter (same as original) holds 12 units. So If I add 4.5 units of DCA I should be about right, right??? Appreciate any assistance. We love our Alpine!
Brent and Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2006, 02:59 PM   #2

Hi fellow Alpiners, we are new owners of a used 2003 36MD., and live in Indio, Cal. (near Palm Springs) Looking for info on the right coolant, going to change it and the filter my self. Can't buy Fleetguard Compleat in this area. Can someone recommend a fully formulated low silicate antifreeze or coolant that meets TMC RP 329 or 330 and ASTM4985 spec's.?

Also, ref. DCA4 additive. Verify if I am on the right track. Cummins booklet states system needs average 1.5 units @ 1 gal. At about 11 gal's.=16.5 units. A WF2074 filter (same as original) holds 12 units. So If I add 4.5 units of DCA I should be about right, right??? Appreciate any assistance. We love our Alpine!
Old 04-21-2006, 03:45 PM   #3

Welcome to the site!

I have a suggestion. Instead of messing with additives and worrying about pump seals and hoses....Why not consder a synthetic coolant? I have synthetic coolant in my diesel and it has been there for 3 years and 40,000 miles with zero problems. It was sold and installed as a "lifetime" coolant. It uses no water at all, it gets hot around 450 degrees and gets a little slushy around 60 below zero.
The product is Evans NPG coolant. It is pricey at around $18.00 per gallon. But it runs a ZERO pressure and never ever has to changed or tested. You can do a web search to find a supplier.
Just a thought to save some money in the long run.
Chet
Old 04-21-2006, 03:54 PM   #4

You should be able to buy coolant at any truck stop. Or at a truck service center. The additive is also avaliable at most truck service centers.

The synthetic coolant my not be low silicate and may not work in a wet sleave engine like the Cummins ISL.

You need to buy a test kit. This consist of several litmus paper strips that you use to test the coolant. When you test the coolant draw the coolant sample from the radiator out of the drain valve on the bottom, not from the coolant resevior tank.
Trehcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 04:08 PM   #5

Thanks Cybervet65 and Trehcub for the info.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:30 PM   #6

Hi Brent & Monica:
Thanks for reminding me. It is time to replace our coolant too. We have an 03 alpine also. Lets look at things a bit differently. First call the local Cummins distributor. I think they are located in Colton or Irvine. Ask what coolant they reccommend. They of course will say Fleetguard, their in house brand. So ask what other coolant on the market meets these same specs. I think you will find that several of the name brands like Prestone,Peak or Zerex will meet the specs. Be sure to buy the full strength type. They love to sell you the premixed type, which of course is half water. As far a coolant filters go, either Fleetguard or Baldwin or Donaldson will work well. If you are really concerned about the correct concentration of coolant or additive, you will have to buy a test kit from the local Cummins dealer. Remember the additive is in the new coolant filter you spin on. By the way, you wll have fun trying to remove the spent coolant filter. It is way up high on the engine and stuck hard to the threads.
Also it is good to remember we are using these engines in a light to medium duty application. We are not as rough on em as the Big 80,000lb rigs we see goin down the highway.
Someone else on this forum recommended a new, really expensive coolant. I read up on it and would offer a note of caution. I know of nothing that has ever been found that cools better than water. Nothing. Ethylene glycol mixed 50/50 with water is almost as good in its cooling qualities. However Ethylene glycol with the proper additive package prevents freezing, increases the boiling point, and prevents corrosion. So all in all is the best for engines.
This Evans product may be fine, however it is really an unneccessary additional expense.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:46 PM   #7

Stretch, Thanks for replying, Brent
Old 04-21-2006, 07:55 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Brent & Monica:

Welcome to IRV2, I would check the yellow pages for a HD Truck Parts house, a Freightliner dealer/service center or an RV service center and you can get coolant and filters their. (Guaranty RV in Indio may stock the filters and coolant) If you get regular coolant and mix it yourself 50/50 water coolant use distilled water not tap water. If you purchase premixed coolant they use distilled water and charge you a lot more. I found that my 350 ISC takes a total of about 10.5 gal.

I have called Cummins Northwest and ordered filters from them and they will ship to you (509) 248-9033
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:05 PM   #9

Dave, Thanks for your input, look forward to seeing you in Tombstone. Brent.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:21 AM   #10

I ordered all my filters, coolant flush kit, coolant test strips, bottles of DCA and Transynd from:
http://www.rvchassisparts.com/Rally.asp
They have very competitive prices.
I didn't order the antifreeze from them since they sell the 50/50 mix.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:21 PM   #11

When I replaced mine, I switched to Rotella organic. Of course I phoned Cummins first to see if it was acceptable, and it is. What is nice about the organic is it doesn't require SCAs and doesn't have to be monitored to make sure it is within limits. I have to look at the specs but I believe it is good for 300K miles or 6 years...maybe no time limit if filter is changed. Anyway, at the time I replaced it last year it seemed an excellent way to go because so little maintenance is required.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote