Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Coolant Replacement & Filter Addition

Well, its time to get the old lady out of hibernation and I have been compiling my task list to get it ready for the new season. Top of my list is addressing my coolant. I need to flush it and would like to replace it with the newer Fleetcool EX, ES Compleat or ES Compleat OAT (all Fleetguard). Suggestions? At the same time that I replace and flush the system I would also like to add a coolant filter. Has anyone done this? Best place to tap into the system and mount the filter? Any suggestions and pointers on flushing the system would be great too. Does Cummins require coolant additive DCA for anti-cavitation?
2006 Alpine Apex 40FDQS #75583
Yakima, WA
bcruzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #2

I considered making the change last summer when the coach was in for annual maintenance. Since the coolant tested as good at Cummins I opted to wait at least another year. The quoted price was around $600 and the process involves flushing the system 2 or 3 times to ensure all of the old coolant is removed.

That type of project isn't in my wheelhouse so I'll leave it to the Pros when the time comes.

Longevity and availability of the Fleetguard products you've mentioned are good reasons to make the change. As far as using additives, a call to Cummins Support will answer your questions. I did not inquire about or consider adding a filter.

Keep us posted.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Anyone know the capacity of the cooling system?
Yakima, WA
Old 03-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #4

I am in the process of replacing my radiator. Don't know the total capacity but I was able to drain 10-11 gallons.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:42 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I drained all I could everywhere, blew out the front heater core and heater hoses plus removed the lower coolant steel pipe and got 13-1/2 gallons out. (measured with 1 gallon coolant jugs)
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #6

To answer one of the OP questions I have just installed a coolant filter on my Alpine. Here is what I purchased.

1ea Cummins Coolant Filter Head #4942780 $130.50
1ea Coolant Filter Gasket #4942874 $11.22
1ea Coolant Filter $13.14
4ea 5/16-18 x 1" Flange Head Bolts
See picture below. Take 10% off if you are a Power Club member.

Installation is straight forward and easy. The assembly mounts to the block. See picture. The location is the raised boss with the two pipe plugs in the left side of the picture. I had to run a tap into the threaded holes to clean them out. Before removing the pipe plugs clean the mounting service. I used a piece of Scotchbrite. The pipe plugs are easy to remove and then it is just a matter of bolting it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Collant Filter Assy.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	195570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coolant Filter Mount Flange.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	195571  

Old 03-15-2018, 08:00 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrthor View Post
To answer one of the OP questions I have just installed a coolant filter on my Alpine. Here is what I purchased.

1ea Cummins Coolant Filter Head #4942780 $130.50
1ea Coolant Filter Gasket #4942874 $11.22
1ea Coolant Filter $13.14
4ea 5/16-18 x 1" Flange Head Bolts
See picture below. Take 10% off if you are a Power Club member.

Installation is straight forward and easy. The assembly mounts to the block. See picture. The location is the raised boss with the two pipe plugs in the left side of the picture. I had to run a tap into the threaded holes to clean them out. Before removing the pipe plugs clean the mounting service. I used a piece of Scotchbrite. The pipe plugs are easy to remove and then it is just a matter of bolting it up.

Great info rrthor! The filter base is a steep price and location looks difficult to get to. Seems you could use those pipe plugged access points with a pipe treaded hose barb and remote locate the less expensive Napa standard filter base. Any idea which pipe plug access point is out and which is return?
Yakima, WA
Old 03-15-2018, 08:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruzen View Post
Any idea which pipe plug access point is out and which is return?
No.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement