Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Coolant Tank Cap Rating?

Whenever I stop or sometimes even when I slow down to a crawl, after longer periods of driving a little (sometimes quite a bit) of coolant is "puked" out of the overflow tube on the coolant surge tank. The engine is still running but at very low RPMs when this occurs. I am careful to maintain the coolant level so it is just visible in the "eye' when the engine is cold. I suspect that I need to replace the surge tank cap but can't find the pressure rating for the cap for an ISC engine anyplace. Can anybody tell me what the pressure rating is for the coolant surge tank cap? And, if anyone suspects it is not the fault of the cap that is causing the coolant discharge, any ideas on what could be causing it? Thanks.

rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Believe my tank label says to use a 16# cap, although the original was a bit less than that. My rig also has a plastic coolant recovery tank plumbed off the surge tank to catch/replenish coolant.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #3

My pressure cap is rated at 16lbs. I to use an added recovery tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	60338  
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdownward View Post
Whenever I stop or sometimes even when I slow down to a crawl, after longer periods of driving a little (sometimes quite a bit) of coolant is "puked" out of the overflow tube on the coolant surge tank. The engine is still running but at very low RPMs when this occurs. I am careful to maintain the coolant level so it is just visible in the "eye' when the engine is cold. I suspect that I need to replace the surge tank cap but can't find the pressure rating for the cap for an ISC engine anyplace. Can anybody tell me what the pressure rating is for the coolant surge tank cap? And, if anyone suspects it is not the fault of the cap that is causing the coolant discharge, any ideas on what could be causing it? Thanks.
Shouldn't it be to the "eye" when hot? You might be over filling resulting overflow?
I run mine at the eye when hot.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #5

As said above you are overfilling the tank and that is why it is over-flowing, nothing to do with the cap. Now you have the correct amount of coolant in the tank!
There were long discussions on this a while back so you may want to to a search through the old threads.
BTW. My cap is 13PSI.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the info Tired Vet, Mule Skinner & Algoma. I guess I have been erroneously keeping the surge tank filled to the eye when cold. Will probably install a coolant recovery tank also - just in case of some discharge and to keep well-intended bystanders from telling me I am losing coolant!
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:52 AM   #7

NAPA has a nice recovery tank for~$15. Heavy duty & mounts easily to left of the surge tank on the white metal bulkhead. IIWMI'd zip tie a scrap of synthetic cloth over the upper air hole to keep the contents clean.
Then fill to the top of surge tank & drive w/impunity.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:30 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Exclamation No recovery tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
NAPA has a nice recovery tank for~$15. Heavy duty & mounts easily to left of the surge tank on the white metal bulkhead. IIWMI'd zip tie a scrap of synthetic cloth over the upper air hole to keep the contents clean.
Then fill to the top of surge tank & drive w/impunity.
Install a recovery tank, as your engine will push coolant out while heating up to operating temps. and then when cooling it will suck the coolant back into the system out of the recovery tank. Coolant level at the cold mark and when heated up to operating temp. it will be full at the hot mark. Like Mike said, fill your surge tank up into the neck and install the cap, and it might take a couple of heating up and cooling down to burp the system, don't be surprised if you have to add some to the recovery tank till all the air is burped out. Without a recovery tank now, after it heats up and your cap relieves coolant out the over flow, when it cools down and it is wanting to bring coolant back into the cooling system, it is just sucking air. I am surprised your Coach does not have one on the cooling system?
Old 04-12-2014, 08:00 AM   #9

PH--our engines have an expansion tank--if used properly, you really dont need an overflow [overfill] tank. Here is an idea--fill your expansion tank to the top, then fill your overflow tank to the top, seal the cap then add other overflow tank to your overflow tank, and then another [smile]. OK--my bad. If it helps get you down the road with one less worry, then add an overflow tank. But in my experience: 12 years, 150,000 miles, same coach, no overflow, except the first trip when I tried checking/filling the radiator cold.....hummmm?
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
O S – I agree with you. If your are losing coolant out of the expansion tank then the tank is being overfilled. These tanks are designed large enough to provide plenty of air cushion for the coolant expansion contraction.

I look for coolant at the eye when hot only and this way never loose any.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Arrow New advancements in technology......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
PH--our engines have an expansion tank--if used properly, you really dont need an overflow [overfill] tank. Here is an idea--fill your expansion tank to the top, then fill your overflow tank to the top, seal the cap then add other overflow tank to your overflow tank, and then another [smile]. OK--my bad. If it helps get you down the road with one less worry, then add an overflow tank. But in my experience: 12 years, 150,000 miles, same coach, no overflow, except the first trip when I tried checking/filling the radiator cold.....hummmm?
Hi old scout, its funny when you say "our engines"........it is the same engine that I have........Cummins.......the difference is the Coach manufacturer.........and your's forgot to install coolant recovery tanks. I had engines back in the 60's and 70's that did not come with them, we still have equipment here at home from those dates without them, just have to keep the level down for expansion, so I understand how it works. But for a 2003 Coach not to have one in the cooling system is what surprises me.........
The other thing is , the recovery tank makes is easy to detect if you are loosing coolant, just by looking at the level in the tank. Oh well..........what ever works.....

Tags
tank