Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
I need to know the type of coolant and how to check the fluid level on a 2001 Alpine with the 330 Cummins.

Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I need to know the type of coolant and how to check the fluid level on a 2001 Alpine with the 330 Cummins.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Well, your signature confused me with a different type of MH you are asking about.

The coolant for a Cummings should be fleetguard, you can use the "complete" version, which has the antifreeze and distilled water mixed in the proper ratio, plus the coolant additive to prevent cavitation. Or you can purchase the antifreeze only, and add distilled water so you have about a 50/50 or 60/40 mix depending on where you live and how cold it gets.

Looking at the back of the engine, assuming you have a lift up door, on the left side of the engine compartment, there should be a tank, which has a radiator cap on it, halfway down should be a sight gauge, it is not that dependable, because coolant hangs in the space the sight gauge is screwed into. However, if the engine is warmed to operating temp, and coolant is showing in the gauge it should be ok. Cummings recommends the coolant be flushed out and replaced and new additive and coolant added at 50K miles I think, you can call any Cummings shop and they will tell you. I would check the coolant with the engine cold, by removing the radiator cap and using an inspection mirror and flashlight, see what the level in the tank is. The Cummings engine manual should also list the type of coolant used in the model of engine you have. If you don't have one, it can be ordered from Cummings.

If you have not had the coolant additive ratio checked in a while, it would be prudent to run it to a Cummings shop and have them check it and add the additive as necessary. I usually have them change the oil, filter, and doing the coolant check is easy at that time. Once I get the shop built, and I can figure out how big a collection pan I need, I will do my own filter and oil change. I do those once a year, regardless of mileage. I will do the fuel filter myself every other year. I drain the water separator portion about every two months because we just don't use our coach much as far as mileage goes.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Monty, I'm on vacation with my friend Ron who has the Alpine and the coolant level was well below the site glass. We ended up adding almost two gallons of coolant before we could see it in the site glass.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #5

Sammie,

If I were your friend I would watch the coolant level carefully when the engine gets warm. On our 2006 if I get the fluid up to the middle of the sight glass when the engine's cold and not running, the surge tank will overflow a little for many miles when the engine's warm. I have found the best way is to check the sight glass on the surge tank when the engine's still not hot but the thermostat has opened enough to let coolant start to pump through the system. When I do this, and have the coolant up to the level of the sight glass, I have no problems. But if put coolant in up to the sight glass when the engine's dead cold, it will drip every time I stop, like at a rest area, when I'm driving.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:20 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
A easy way to stop your coolant loss is to install a recovery tank (milk jug)and put your over flow hose in it.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #7

Most, if not all, of the sight tubes on the Alpine coolants tanks angle DOWNWARDS from the tank. That means that fluid trapped in the sight tube makes it appear there is plenty of coolant even when the level is below the sight tube.

I was advised by either Cummins or WRV to rap the side of the expnasion tank to knock out the standing fluid to see the ACTUAL level.

And as Old RV'er said the fluid level should only be checked when the engine is hot, otherwise you will be dumping a lot of water and antireeze on the ground.

Sticking the end of the expansion tank's rubber overflow hose in a plastic jug is a good idea!

Harold

Being pushed by a 2006
C&H from NorCal is offline   Reply With Quote