Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

Correct Part # Brake Master Cylider 2008 Alpine?

Hi,

We have a 2008 Alpine Limited 40' MDTS with the low roof line. I am about to have the brake system flushed per the recommendations on this forum and am considering replacing the master cylinder at the same time so I won't have to duplicate Labor costs later. I have spent a lot of time attempting to determine from the forum what new master cylinder (brand and part number) I need to order and take to the truck shop when I take the coach in. Is there anyone that has actually replaced theirs on this model Alpine that would have a part number? We have about 60,000 highway miles on it and have not had brake problems, but it seems others have and I would like to get the correct part and just do it once if possible. Any information / part numbers would be appreciated. Also, is there a great increase in braking power after the change over? Would you advise doing the master cylinder at the same time as the flush if it is not leaking or failing? Thanks in advance for your input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #2

You should read this old thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/meri...nt-100835.html
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #3

Do it, you'll love it. Part# is down deep in the thread Algoma linked.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:01 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I bought the Wagner MC131759 Master Cylinder Assembly on Amason for $190 and free shipping. Had it installed by David at Accu Tract in Tucson with full brake bleed (all wheels off) for 5 1/2 hour labor and a gallon of Dot 3. Old time shop but he does great work and friendly service. I buy my parts, oil and filters and take them to him to install, or he'll take care of everything. Another Alpiner recommended him to me and I strongly recommend him. He also installed EM streering bracket stiffener for me.
2009 Alpine 36 MDDS 425hp #75798
Anchorage, AK
Taxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #5

So, inquiring minds want to know--did your braking capacity improve?????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #6

About 30% or better improvement in braking efficency with a lot less pedal force required after the Redlands installed master cylinder along with a complete flush, fill, and bleed. I would never consider reinstalling the OEM unit supplied by WRV; however it does make a great paperweight or wheel chock.

However, if you are satisfied with your current braking capabilities, and apparently there are variations in model year braking efficiency, keep what you have. I was never a fan of what I considered less than acceptable braking in our 2006 with the adjustable pedals. Apparently the geometry of pedal travel had a big effect braking capability, or lack thereof.
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I can't say the brake capacity increased but the leg effort to apply the brakes definitely decreased. I didn't think my wife would be able to fully engage the brake before. Now the brake petal stroke is a little longer taking advantage of more leverage. Even easier to hold the brake at a red light.

If your going to do a brake fluid flush anyway it's a cheap simple upgrade that I think was worth it.
2009 Alpine 36 MDDS 425hp #75798
Anchorage, AK
Taxguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake