Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2007, 07:46 AM   #1

We have recently incurred a problem with our '06 with white corrosion or a white sulfate-like deposit occuring on the house battery hold downs and attaching bolts. Reminds me of the deposits we used to see on the old days on car battery connections.

I did my old-time remedy of cleaning the deposits with a baking soda/water mixture and lightly covering the area where they occurred with chassis grease. This works, but it causes deposits to move to another area of the hold-down brackets or another bolt. The grease also attracts dust, requiring more cleaning.

I'm curious as to the root cause of this -- is it a case of overcharging the batteries (I am plugged in to AC when stored, and the batteries quickly go to "float" stage on the Xantrex display), or is it some other problem?

I also notice the rear batteries get a little damp around the caps and hose connections, so I'm wondering if they are getting a little overfull and if this dampness is contributing to the problem.

My gut feel is that there's some electrolytic-type process going on with the charging that's causing the deposits on the metal brackets, perhaps a ground cable from a battery touching a bracket where I can't see it, or something else.

So, any ideas from the group on root cause and what to do to stop this problem?

Thanks for your thoughts on it --
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:46 AM   #2

We have recently incurred a problem with our '06 with white corrosion or a white sulfate-like deposit occuring on the house battery hold downs and attaching bolts. Reminds me of the deposits we used to see on the old days on car battery connections.

I did my old-time remedy of cleaning the deposits with a baking soda/water mixture and lightly covering the area where they occurred with chassis grease. This works, but it causes deposits to move to another area of the hold-down brackets or another bolt. The grease also attracts dust, requiring more cleaning.

I'm curious as to the root cause of this -- is it a case of overcharging the batteries (I am plugged in to AC when stored, and the batteries quickly go to "float" stage on the Xantrex display), or is it some other problem?

I also notice the rear batteries get a little damp around the caps and hose connections, so I'm wondering if they are getting a little overfull and if this dampness is contributing to the problem.

My gut feel is that there's some electrolytic-type process going on with the charging that's causing the deposits on the metal brackets, perhaps a ground cable from a battery touching a bracket where I can't see it, or something else.

So, any ideas from the group on root cause and what to do to stop this problem?

Thanks for your thoughts on it --
Old 08-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #3

I used baking soda until I found a blue colored chemical at a battery shop that I spray on then rinse off and it does a lot better job in one application than the baking soda did in several. I also bought a spray can of red battery corrosion preventer. It can also be bought at Walmart. Since using these two items I have a had a lot less corrosion. I still get some around the hold down brackets like you described. I too will be interested in other feedback.
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:56 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Not sure about the cause, but I've been using NAPA battery terminal cleaner, followed by NAPA Battery Terminal Protector, both sprays. The cleaner foams up around the terminal and really cleans it up good. It seems to cling. It also did a great job of cleaning up my bus bars, isolator, fuses etc. No scrubbing, etc.

It sounds like your batteries are over-gassing and hence the dampness and deposits. Some gassing is normal. I finally went with AGMs and have eliminated the problem. Though certainly not cheap they operate a lot better, last a lot longer and require no maintenance or cleaning. Now the only cleaning I have is road dirt.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:11 AM   #5

Thanks for your suggestions. I like all of them.

I will look for the NAPA battery terminal cleaner and the associated protector, and use it until it's battery replacement time. Then I will go to AGMs and get rid of the battery fill system. I will be glad to have nothing but the batteries to clean from road dirt and not have to work around all the hoses, and clean around them all the time.