Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #29
Alpine Owners Club
Camping World is NOT the Gold Standard

Originally Posted by Janet&Sid View Post
Thanks alot for your help, I do indeed have hydraulic brakes. When I took the coach into Camping World in Gulf Breeze for my first service after purchasing it used, one of the items on my list was to inspect hydraulic brake fluid and replace if necessary. They informed me I had air brakes, I assumed the company to whom I was entrusting the maintenance and saftey checks of my coach would know the difference. I know I assumed.
Now I am reading every post and take notes and make lists. First thing on my list is to quit my day job, I now have a new full time job.
Is there any book you can buy that shows how to do a lot of this maintenance, I was crawling under the coach today an discovered I have no idea how many lube fittings there are, so Iwill never know if I found them all. BTW how do you get the new hydraulic fluid up into the resovoir, and how many filters are there on the brake system?
Your response is but one more of many instances where Camping World techs have not done impressive work. I avoid them.

Franklin & Dessa
2001 Alpine 34 FDDS
Tow a 2014 CR-V
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #30
Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
The employee turnover in most of the Camping World service departments usually ensure that people with experience and above average mechanical skills do not stay long.

I had to return to the Wilsonville, OR store twice to get my tow bar electrical wiring installed correctly and had similar installation "issues" with the Valencia, CA location.

C-W is a nice store to have in the area as they carry so many different RV and camping items but some of their "free" or low cost installations are appropriately priced and are worth what you pay for them.

I have (surprisingly) found that the several Cummins dealers I have used do great work, which I expected, and have been reasonably priced and even coming in under the estimate - which I did not expect. Granted they won't work on all systems.

2011 Allegro Bus
being pushed by a
2015 Lincoln MKC
NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #31
Alpine Owners Club
The work I've had done at the La Mirada, CA Camping World has, overall, been good. However, when they raised their labor rates a few years ago, I started looking around for someone cheaper. I always had the same couple guys at CW work on my rig(s) and they were/are competent. I've heard of others having problems at that store with newer techs, so I always asked for the same guys. I really like that once they make an appointment, you are in and out the same day (usually). I didn't necessarily like having to wait two weeks for an appointment, though.

I tried Western RV, nearby and was uncomfortable having to leave my rig for a couple days or three for work normally taking only a few hours. I quit going there when a friend's RV was broken into there, since they have no good way of securing rigs that are in for service (though they claim to have never had a problem).

I used Cummins Cal Pacific in Irvine, CA and just had to accept that even an oil change will take two days. They were able to secure my rig, so I was soon okay with it. Afterward I tried their Montebello location when I needed some ISL-only work. They, too, secure the rig, but get to the work right away.

Now that things are slower for everyone, Cal Pacific seems a bit quicker. I've always asked for a specific tech at Irvine, whom I trust, and they've accommodated me. However, based on their stretching the pricing and charging for a myriad of little things that add up, I'm going to try oil changes, brake fluid changes, hydraulic fluid changes, etc. with someone like Speedco or BusWest, that can do them quickly, without drop-off and at half the price. I just need to learn who is best, who is cheap, but competent and where they are located. Speedco, for instance is not in California, but I pass through Las Vegas and Phoenix several times per year. I've also been recommended to a couple guys that come to your campsite. Maybe that would be even more convenient for some things.

Of course I could do a lot of it myself, but heck, I have a hard time keeping up on the waxing.....
2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #32
Alpine Owners Club
Ok, I know this because I called Allison on Monday. I keep getting the run around on when the Tyranny needs service. The 5K service has been done away with as long as you have transynd fluid. At 3 years/75K miles is the next service interval, and if I understood correctly, there are two filters they change. Do it based on age, we never put 75K miles on these things in 3 years. This causes 9qt of transynd fluid to hit the drain pan, and they send in a sample to have analysis. It costs 308.00 for this service. You can get the filters and an analysis kit from any Allison distributor, the analysis kit includes the cost of the lab work, and has the bottle and paid mailer as I understand it.

Check the Allison forum and get more information. I wish someone would take pictures of the process, so then I have an idea what is involved. I have done tyranny service but never on a MH.

Where is the Hyd filter? I have not found that one yet! Can I just change the filter every year and be good on the hyd fluid change, or is it something that I need to worry about soon? We have 20,096 miles on the unit.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #33
Alpine Owners Club
It's Official!

This thread is all over the road. Quite similar to those SOB's....

2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote