Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #1

Our couch has come loose three times now, the dealer fixed it twice. I imagine my floor is starting to look like swiss cheese because the bolts have been moved three times. Our chair is loose for the second time. I know the three labs and my preteen, size 11 shoe daughter, dosen't help. With that said is it possible to carriage bolt the couch from the bottom up? The reason I'm thinking this is because its on the slide. How thick is the floor? Any suggestions would be helpful.

William Schnieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #2

Our couch has come loose three times now, the dealer fixed it twice. I imagine my floor is starting to look like swiss cheese because the bolts have been moved three times. Our chair is loose for the second time. I know the three labs and my preteen, size 11 shoe daughter, dosen't help. With that said is it possible to carriage bolt the couch from the bottom up? The reason I'm thinking this is because its on the slide. How thick is the floor? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Crap, something else to check on.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #4

You mean you haven't started a list?
Old 05-26-2008, 11:42 AM   #5

On our 06 the recliner was carriage bolted up from below thru the PS slide floor (which was about 1.25" thick). The couch slide floor is likely thicker but I don't know first hand. Regardless you should be able to to this.

Another approach would be a buncha screws to the floor at each location to spread out the load. You'd have to add a metal clip to the couch frame (or clips if you need more insurance). I'd try Home Depot for Simpson A34 angle clips. You can use self tapping screws into the frame & wood screws into the floor. I'd use 3/4" floor screws to keep from punching thru the floor.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
After reading and replying to this post. I went out and checked the couch on our new 07 APEX. The bolt holding the latch (so you can raise it) was loose and the latch actually had come away from its mounting. I found the latch once I removed the lower part of the couch. Checked the bolts and two were loose, and would not tighten, suspect, they are carrage bolts through the slide, and will have to deal with them the next time we get ready for a trip since the slide was in. The chair (40MDTS) was very tight with long square headed screws holding it down.

No, I have not made a list, because all I need to do is check this forum about three times a week, and it seems someone else is listing a new thing I need to check. Batteries are my main concern, because of the fill system not working properly, so that inspection (manual by removing caps) is now on my quarterly maintenance list. I will attempt to use the fill system and see if it can carry it for that period. Once I do it again, I will know if my timing is good.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #7

I removed my refill caps but kept the pump with the hose attached, it was too unreliable. Now I just check my batts periodically. Some day maybe I'll be able to afford amg batteries.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Where did you get the proper caps to keep the cells closed? That was and Idea I have considered, because of the trouble people have had, but I wanted to wait to see if I can use it for a stop gap system. It's handy not to haul distilled water by the jug, just keep that reservoir filled.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #9

Unfortionately my bateries died and I was forced to replace them, so I just kept the fill system off and used the caps that came with the batteries. I still use the jug and pump that came witht the sysytem. Maybe some day I can afford the matt glass batteries.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
This problem has been addressed in the past. My rig is an '03 and came with the long proble, in the tall cells. I dried out my batteries until I read iRV2. I called and had them send me the short fill caps, and everything works hunky-dory. (is that word still in existence???)
If you haven't tried that yet, give it a whirl.

Hope I'm not covering old ground for you.

Jim Eddy

'03 38' FDTS, '00 Saturn S/W