Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #1

Smile Cracked exhaust manifold

Have a cracked exhaust manafold,any trick taking out, and puting back in? it is on a 2000 38.5 alpine, with a 350 cummins. Any help on best place to find a used,or new manafold.

Thanks

David Taylor

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hello David. For you access to the engine and manifold is easy. Lift the bed and you can access the exhaust manifold.

Remove the air intake tubing off the turbo and the exhaust pipe from the turbo.

Unbolt the manifold and hope none of the bolts break off in the head.

The exhaust manifold us a two piece. You can replace the cracked part or the complete manifold. I would replace all of the bolts and use anti seize on all the bolts. Good luck let us know how it went. :thumbup:

Cummins is the best place to find the replacement. They will need the engine serial number before they can find the part.

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:36 PM   #3

Engine serial# is located on a tab at top of flange facing rearward, open engine hatch & clean off top right side of flange at end of engine block. Takes some work for me to focus, might need reading glasses, magnifier, etc. for work that close. IIWMI'd take down all info on that tag & store it for easy use next time.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #4

Once you remove the air intake piping, tie a rag over the turbo intake.

Don't want rust or debris in there.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #5

Careful when moving the turbo away for clearance--the "flexible" exhaust pipe is not so flexible once it gets heated/rusted in place/shape.
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:18 AM   #6

I replaced the exhaust manifold on my 1999 Alpine Coach. The job turned out to be easier than I expected. The bolts came right out. Cummins must have used anti-seize on the original bolts. The new manifold from Cummins is a redesign from the OEM part and is significantly heftier. I got all new bolts & gaskets and used anti-seize. So far, about 10,000 mi on the new manifold without any problems.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #7

David - I replaced mine about 4 months ago. A few days before pulling the manifolds I sprayed each bolt liberally with penetrating oil once a day for about three days. I decided it would be a lot of extra work to remove the air intake so I just removed the manifold bolts. It took a little extra maneuvering but was fairly simple and saved the hassle of removing an protecting intake. The rest was as mentioned in other posts. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:12 PM   #8

Took mine out today. Blots where not problem. I took turbo off to have it checked. So far so good. Let you know the outcome.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #9

I only needed to buy the side that held the Turbo.The short side was good but I had to remove it in order to re-install both pieces together. Turbo is in getting rebuilt. Looks like about a $1000.00 so far in parts and a sore back. Lifting the bead up so far was the hardest part. Let you know the out come. Gator
Old 04-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #10

Hi David

How did you know the exhaust manifold was cracked? Was it a really bad obvious crack or more of a hairline crack?

Geoff
Old 04-30-2015, 01:12 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Geoff when you look at the manifold the crack will have suit in it almost like magnafluxing a head or block. A tell tail sign of where the leak is in the exhaust system of a Diesel Engine.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:25 PM   #12

Got it Dave

Thanks

Geoff
Old 04-30-2015, 08:41 PM   #13

Finished re-installing the Turbo today. Turbo City in Santa Fe Springs,CA rebuilt the turbo. Glad that project is over. Broke transfer case and front end drag racing the sand jeep so off to the next project.