Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:02 PM   #1

I took my 2000 36FDS over to Colton Truck today to have the brake calipers replaced under a recall program. WRV will pay for the new calipers and 6 hours of labor. I'm guessing the previous owner never knew of this recall. When Colton Truck started working on the rear brakes it was discovered that both rear rotors have stress cracks in them, probably, they said, from excess heat. Has anyone else run across this? I'm wondering if the cracked rotors are in any way connected to the caliper recall.

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2007, 04:02 PM   #2

I took my 2000 36FDS over to Colton Truck today to have the brake calipers replaced under a recall program. WRV will pay for the new calipers and 6 hours of labor. I'm guessing the previous owner never knew of this recall. When Colton Truck started working on the rear brakes it was discovered that both rear rotors have stress cracks in them, probably, they said, from excess heat. Has anyone else run across this? I'm wondering if the cracked rotors are in any way connected to the caliper recall.

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #3

Lindenberg-Please tell me more about a brake caliper recall. I have a 2000 38FDDS and don't know if the previous owner had this work done or not.
Gary M. Smith

and Starlight (January 20, 2000 - March 17, 2009)
Gary M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:29 AM   #4

I too have a 2000 36' MD and would like more info.

Thanks,

Mark
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:51 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Calibers:

Up until mid 2000 WRV used a floating Brake Caliber, the pins which the caliber slides on were to be lubed at regular intervals. Sometime in 2000 WRV went to a fixed caliber on all Alpines. Unfortunately the floating calibers would bind and cause the brakes on the one caliber to over heat. I believe the recall involves replacing the calibers with a fixed caliber.

Disc brake calibers work on applying pressure on both sides of the disc and stopping the vehicle. A floating caliber has as piston(s) on one side and applies pressure on one side of the caliber and because they float the caliber pulls the opposite brake pad to the disc causing both pads to make contact with the disc. Most automobiles manufactured use a floating caliber design. A fixed caliber has pistons on both sides and applies pressure to the pads without moving.

Contact WRV with your serial number (Last five digits) and they can tell you if your Alpine needs the update or if it has been completed.
Dave Fernandez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #6

Thanks for the caliper info...

I'll check w/ Western on mine.

I have done a few (more than I can count) brake jobs so I do know the difference between a floating & fixed caliper.

Although I'm finding now that the years are running away from me, it's harder to do some of this work. I just changed the shocks on my coach last month and had a heck of a time -- had to have my oldest son help me 'cause I was a bit too thick to slide under the coach! (Well, I could get under but it was difficult getting back out...)
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #7

Dave, thanks for the suggestion to contact WRV. When I was there in November to have the bedroom wardrobe slide repaired, the techs inspected the brakes and pronounced them "good to go." But, I don't know if that included the caliper situation described. Do I just email customerservice@wrv,com with my S/N?

and Starlight (January 20, 2000 - March 17, 2009)
Gary M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote