Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2009, 04:04 AM   #1

Ok, so I'm on my first trip with my family in MD and PA. Well, it has been pretty cold and we are using the furnace for the first time.

There is a fan that I think is for the furnace and it makes a horrible sound. It sounds like it is coming from behind the washer and dryer. Is that the only way I can access the fan? I've crawled in the basement where I think the sound is coming from (it's warm now so it isn't running). I can see the duct work when I take off the access panels, but no fan.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

GT
GTHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2009, 04:15 AM   #2

I just came on when my wife turned on the dryer, so it is definitely LPG fan related. From the outside of the coach is sounds like the noise is coming out of the vent holes.

Again, if anyone knows where this fan is that would be very helpful.

On another note, is there any detailed schematics that would tell me where to find this without bothering you good folks? Thanks!

GT
Old 02-08-2009, 05:38 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
GT,

This sounds like the normal LPG heater noise. I did sound deadening on my 2002 coach's heater. If you will add all of your coach information to your signature, you will get better response from owners that have the same setup as you.

See this post,
"How to"
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #4

Let's see if this fixes my signature.

No way this noise is normal. It sounds like a fan with something caught in it. It turns and functions, but it wakes me up when it comes on. So if that is normal, I'm taking this thing back.

GT
Old 02-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #5

GTHILL,

If the propane furnace fan is unusually noisy (like clattering), the fan motor is either bad or the fan is hitting on something. When that problem happened to mine, the clattering sound was so raucous, it ran me out of the motorhome. After I had the fan and motor replaced, the noise level is now back to a normal loud sound, which is acceptable.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #6

It sounds like either the fan blades are hitting something or the motor bearings have gone bad--I'd vote for the former. The fan/motor part of the furnance is pretty simple--one motor with two fans [one on each end of the motor.] One fan circulates warm air inside yr coach the other circulates fresh air thru the combustion pot. Ive not taken the outside cover off my 2003 furnance but believe it is fairly straight-forward process, starting with the chrone covered vent/intake plate. Once inside, you will probably find a mis-alignment issue with one of the fans or foreign debris in one of the fans [eg, a mud dauber home]....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
GTH:

I had the exact same problem happen. After some investigation I found:

1. The heater is in the PS bay in front of the rear wheels. See the chrome vent coming through the door? Just take the screws around and under the vent off and then the gray carpeted panel. The heater is in there.

2. The problem is probably that the fan blades are clipping the housing that covers it. The fan motor had slipped a little, inside it's shroud. I took it apart to investigate and then reassembled it. I found that if I'd just reseated the fan motor, the rest of my "looking" would have been superfluous. As it was I now know how the whole thing works, a bonus.

3. It is possible that the squirrel cage fan blades have popped loose, they are cheaply made. However, the part is cheap and easy to replace.

All-in-all, I had set aside an afternoon to figure out the problem and could only use up an hour. I'd have used only 15 minutes were it not for my explorations.