Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2006, 03:22 PM   #1

My coach is parked, slides in (except as explained here otherwise), & unoccupied.
Passenger slide, aka chain slide, creeps out. About 4" when I first spotted it, coulda been creeping for several days. Then I retracted it & overnight it crept out about 1.5".
Anybody had that?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2006, 03:22 PM   #2

My coach is parked, slides in (except as explained here otherwise), & unoccupied.
Passenger slide, aka chain slide, creeps out. About 4" when I first spotted it, coulda been creeping for several days. Then I retracted it & overnight it crept out about 1.5".
Anybody had that?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #3

Mike,
Yep!! Front curbside (chain) slide started this at about 15K miles. After closing up slide, next morning (or between fuel stops when on the road) would find it had creeped out 2-4" overnite. Noted a HWH system hyd leak in basement on curb side, 2nd door from front. Took MH to Coach Care for routine service work (oil & filter changes, etc) and to take care of this problem. Have not picked coach back up yet but service writer reported they replaced two solenoid valves to repair the problem.
That does not sound right to me, but I'll know more once I pick unit up and talk to their HWH tech.
BTF
05 40FDQS
bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:34 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Mike,

We had just the opposite problem...our bedroom slide (headboard) would creep in. Thought we were crazy at first! Our fix was the same as Bigfish's...HWH sent us a new solenoid and Coach Care installed it. No problems since.

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:11 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Mike:

It sounds like a bad HWH Solenoid that is what happened to my Gen Slide, when the temp would warm up it would creep out several inches. Once the solenoid was replaced the creeping stopped. See you at another outing.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:55 AM   #6

Yup, just had that happen too. Noticed it after the coach sits for a few days or more.

But, it's happening on my front driver slide, which I thought was hydraulic. What's up with chains?

No leak detected. Seems to point to a solenoid?
Old 05-05-2006, 08:50 AM   #7

HWH has Trouble Shooting manuals on their Web site that describe these "creep" problems.

In my case for a 2001 Alpine 38FDDS, the appropriate manual was ML12726.PDF. You will need to find the appropriate manual for your year/model coach. Go to this link:
HWH Trouble Shooting Manuals

Once you open the correct manual, do a search for "creep". This will give you a section that reads something like this:

"The room creeps out after being retracted"

"There are three possibilities:
A. An extend solenoid valve is leaking
B. A room extension cylinder has an internal leak
C. The manifold check valve is leaking"

etc, etc.

There is one other possibility, if none of the above apply: When retracting the slide, you need to hold the RETRACT switch about 10-20 seconds beyond when the slide appears to be fully in. This is what an HWH technician told the Buddy Gregg Motorhome technician that worked on my slide creep problem, after he had already repaired a leak and a bad solenoid. Apparently, this ensures that all the fluid is pulled from the lines back into the reservoir.

Dale
2001 Alpine 38FDDS
switching to a 2006 Alpine 36FDTS in May
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:02 AM   #8

Thanks all.
Yep- hydraulic leak in the basement beneath the slide. Nice little drip going there. Thankfully I've got plastic trays to catch & recycle the oil
Dale- great link.
Jim- The PS slide where the floor settles flat w/living room is hydraulically actuated but has chain drive elements along w/the hyd.ram.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:44 AM   #9

Regarding the "TOPIC STARTER" Creepy slideout,
good info here, mine just started that but
doesn't do it all the time .... checked for a leak but did not find one ... I will try the
20 sec hold on the switch and see if that will correct.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:26 AM   #10

Thank you all.

I recall the manual or the factory warned against prolonged "retract". Will that 10-20 seconds place any undue stress on the slide?
Old 05-06-2006, 05:47 AM   #11

Jim...... how are you

Another Alpine owner ( Neil )suggested a procedure that I have always followed without any problems. After closure, I do a one, two, three, four, five.

Take care,

Walt

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:33 AM   #12

Hi Walt!

Hope all's well. We need a reunion!

Thanks, I'll try the countdown. I usually don't hold the button for more than a second after the slide "seats"

Jim
Old 05-07-2006, 09:48 AM   #13

Took the wrenches to the drippy hydraulic line yesterday, & fully retracted the slide. Zero creep overnight.
Still have some oil on the end of one of the rams, probably a super slow seal leak, accompanied by some oil spattered on the frame rail just aft of the ram. Other than the mess it doesn't appear troublesome.

Couldn't say for sure about the advisability of pumping past the slide's fully closed position. Had an outboard with hydraulic tilt that had a lock actuated by pumping past where the ram was fully retracted; there was a decided change in pitch to the pump noise when the lock engaged. I don't think HWH has the same, but that's my speculation.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #14

Glad you found the problem ! Mine hasn't moved for two days. The switch needs "coaxing" to work so I ordered a new switch. Hope that does it.

Best regards, Clyde