Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #1

Cruise Control Inoperative-Smart Wheel?

I discussed this problem in a thread over a year ago and never solved the problem. Still looking for answers. When cruise is set almost instantly the coach starts feeling like it is going over large, close-together expansion joints in the road: sort of a hammering feeling, to the point where it feels like the front suspension is going to shake apart. Searching led me to a Cummins computer update that was supposed to take care of it...it didn't!

I have had a couple of people suggest that the problem might be in the steering wheel (Smart Wheel), and I'm wondering if there is a correlation between the inop cruise and the fact that when I first turn on the ignition the windshield wipers make one sweep of the windshield on their own! Both function from the Smart Wheel. Maybe my coach is possessed !!!

Any ideas ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #2

Rick,

Had the same problem with my 05 The update did not fix the problem. After much complaining to Mike Young of Cummins Yakima he found the problem. A parameter needed to be changed in the ECM. Try giving Mike a call to see if he can lead you in the right direction

Good luck
Old 03-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #3

Thanks Tom- Mike Young is whom gave me the previous update info. How recently did you get the "new" ecm update? Has it worked properly all the time since installation?

Thanks, Rick
Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #4

Rick

At the factory just before it closed. It was not an update, but some parameters were set wrong in the ECM. Has worked great since the fix
Old 03-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #5

What month last year? I have already forgotten exactly when they closed.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #6

March or April
Old 03-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #7

WRV closed approximately April 15 of last year, as I remember. It was around tax due day and I was getting a radiator at the same time from them.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:17 AM   #8

Dont quote me but I think the ecm parameter in question was set to support a manual transmission Vs automatic--that would make a difference......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Old Scout,

That is what Mike Young told me. I have the same problem, just less. I haven't had it fixed yet.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #10

The problem is solved! It was as suggested...but it took a couple of tries. I took the coach in to Redlands Truck and RV because they said they had the equipment to scan the ecu and I had some brake maintenance service to do. The parameter was set to manual transmission, but it had to be re-set several times before it "stuck". Redlands consulted with Mike Young at my suggestion. What a treat to have my cruise control back! The scan of my coach also showed an engine miss on #4 cylinder. Redlands took it to a nearby Cummins facility in Bloomington and they discoved a loose wire on the injector. Re-connected and all is well. By the way, with the complete brake service, which I'd never had done, I had the system flushed and fluid replaced with Rykon 46 (as suggested by some forum members). My pedal pressure has always been tolerable (but hard), but seems somewhat better now. Maybe it has to just do with the flush and new fluid, not necessessarily the brand of fluid.

Coach was ready on time as promised and all the work completed...AGAIN I can recommend Redlands Truck and RV.