Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:26 AM   #1

I typically like to use my cruise control as much as possible while freeway or highway driving as it helps me keep my speed down and I think it probably helps fuel mileage. While using it last week I detected a fairly strong harmonic vibration whether on concrete with it's expansion joints or on ashphalt which is smooth. The vibration was strong enough to make me turn of the cruise. This happens EVERY time I set the cruise control. As soon as the cruise is off and I'm operating under my own foot there is NO vibration..at exactly the same speed (60-62 mph).. I have never experienced this before. I believe cruise control in automobiles is vaccuum controlled. Is that true of our coaches, and could a vaccuum leak be the problem, or ??????? I really don't want to stop using cruise control.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2008, 06:26 AM   #2

I typically like to use my cruise control as much as possible while freeway or highway driving as it helps me keep my speed down and I think it probably helps fuel mileage. While using it last week I detected a fairly strong harmonic vibration whether on concrete with it's expansion joints or on ashphalt which is smooth. The vibration was strong enough to make me turn of the cruise. This happens EVERY time I set the cruise control. As soon as the cruise is off and I'm operating under my own foot there is NO vibration..at exactly the same speed (60-62 mph).. I have never experienced this before. I believe cruise control in automobiles is vaccuum controlled. Is that true of our coaches, and could a vaccuum leak be the problem, or ??????? I really don't want to stop using cruise control.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Rick:

Diesels do have vacuum and the cruise control in controlled electronically threw the ECM. Some times vibrations come from the drive shaft and u-joints. I know that there has been a problem in prior posts with the computer programming which could also be the culprit. I would first check the drive shaft and u-joints as they should lubed every 3000 miles something that is not preformed enough. I hope this information helps.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:22 AM   #4

Hi Dave- I had the driveshaft serviced aprox. 4,000 mi. ago at Acacia RV. The peculiar thing is that the vibration is non-existant when I hold the throttle at the exact same speed with my foot, so I'm guessing you're correct about it being some electronic malady. I'm going to have the coach in for a full annual service when I leave Indio about June 1 and take it back to the beach. Is this computer thing something that must be checked by Cummins?...or where?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Rick I would take it to a Cummins Dealer for service since the enging has a 5 year warranty. They would also have the latest updates on the ECM programing.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:13 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Rick,

Check with Mike Young, Cummins No. West, Yakima.
509-248-9033

I had a surge problem when cresting a hill with cruise engaged. It was three months before a fix came out but since Mike handles the WRV account he was the 1st to have the patch.

Sully

40' MD Apex
Paul "Sully" Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:06 AM   #7

I spoke with Mike at Cummins yesterday. Explained the symptoms to him and he said he would talk to his engineers. He called me back within the hour! Their conclusion is that it is a cruise surge issue and to go to a Cummins service center and have the patch loaded. Hopefully that is the prolem. I won't have the opportunity to do that until early June, but I'll report back if that solved the problem.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:15 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Rick - We had a problem with the cruise control not going off with touching the brakes and required manually turning it off - for a year & 1/2 we complained about it and no one could figure it out. Finally at the Pomona Rally, Mike Young and Dave Frampton figured out that our Vansco module had not been programmed correctly. They just sent us new ones and Tris switched them out yesterday. Haven't had a chance yet to take it on the freeway to make sure the problem is fixed. Will do it in a couple of days.
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:30 AM   #9

Update on my cruise control problem: Took the coach to Cummins in Bloomington (right next to Colton, CA) and had them install the .27 cruise control calibration patch that Mike Young mentioned. The vibration was still there when I left with the coach. Tried it twice with no change. Drove for about 1/2 hour and tried it again...not completely gone but a 90% improvement! Strange that an electronic patch would not just take a set immediately. I'll continue to use it as it is now acceptable, but not perfectly smooth like it was. Perhaps it will get better. By the way- this Cummins facility is really nice. The staff are very nice and helpful. The shop is really tidy, which gives me some confidence. The job was handled under warranty, and I was in and out within 2 hours.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #10

Rick- Vacuum doesn't have any function on our coache's running gear. Some diesels have a vacuum pump, usually belt driven off the engine, to operate running gear vacuum accessories. The ISL doesn't. The only vacuums on board that I know of are the Red Devil house vacuum, and the dash vacuum pump (you hear it buzzing while operating the dash AC for example).

Fuel demand signal from the foot pedal is electronic to the computer, and the injectors operate by computer signal at all times, whether by CC or foot power demand. Injectors are basically high-cyclic-rate solenoid valves, metering fuel into the cylinder. Either the foot tells the computer to tell the injector what to do, or the CC function of the computer tells the injector what to do. When we turn off the key, the computer quits telling the injectors to meter any fuel, and the engine stalls for lack of fuel.

W/all that said, I have absolutely no idea why a programming change wouldn't immediately eliminate the vibration, but would over time, unless a) there is a learning function involved (this would be news to me that such was available in the ECU), or b) the computer fix was enabling some other mechanical glitch to work itself out (& I have no idea what that would be). I hope that's clear
Old 06-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
All, Drive shaft and U-Joint service, news to me, is it something I can do, like lubing the front end of my truck for instance? If I have to take it to cummings, it was just there, and they did not mention it. Please provide additional advice if possible.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:30 AM   #12

Rv'er- I'm not quite following your question.
This is the second time, however, that I have found that Cummins had electronic updates for our ECUs since I have had the coach (apx. 2 yrs). For those people whom have their coaches serviced elsewhere or have had no occasion to stop there for a fix, it wouldn't hurt to call Cummins (with your engine # readily at hand) and ask if there are any updates on the books. It might solve some electronic glitches you are having. Can't hurt.....
Old 06-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Old Rv'er:

The Drive Shaft and U-Joint Service is just like lubing the front end. The U-Joints have zert fittings on them because they are large they have a 2 zert fitting on each U-Joint only need to lube one until the grease starts to out of the caps. The Drive shaft has one zert fitting for the spline on the drive shaft so it does not need much grease. On my 2001 they recommend the drive line be greased every 3000 miles. I hope my explanation helps.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #14

As usual, Dave is spot-on with his advice. I grease the drive line on our 2003 every 5000 miles--sooner if between trips. At least one school of thought says you should only pump the grease gun until you feel the resistance build in the joint. Idea here is not to unseat the rubber seals on the u-joints by pumping in too much grease. Suppose the same idea is in play when greasing the front end too but more often than not, I manage to get a bit of grease squeezing past the seals....

Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote