Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #15

Dale
Thanks for the pictures. You took all the work out of difficult job. I was wondering how I would get to the the air line between the fuel tank and the air bags, tight fit. Your explanation is very clear to me. Much easier your way. I owe you one, thanks again.
Nick Escamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
http://hendersonslineup.com/un...motion-control-unit/

Link to company. Still not positively sure what these do, but sounds good. I cannot get the closet door adjusted properly so they don't open when taking a turn, I'm close but not their yet. Bad idea in the Coach-APEX, might have to use a stick.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Monty,

There are many posts on what the SSMC units do. As to the closet, don't give up, they just take a VERY FINE adjustment. They have to be REAL close at the top, by the lock.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Monty,
The bottom line on what the SSMC units do is:
1. After the coach is at ride height, the SSMC units greatly restrict coach's weight transfer from forcing air out of the air bags. The rocking from side to side.

2. This reduces the "WalMart Wobble". The side to side rocking of a coach when it crosses different levels of pavement at an angle.

3. I have found it also reduces the coach rocking for any reason. Wind, passing vehicles or #2, my coach makes one movement and that is it.

Once these were installed, my coach became much easier to handle. It is much more stable. It drives like my SUV.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #19

Since so much time has expired since this post, I was wondering if there might be any new information on the MCUs. Because they work by restricting airflow it seems to me that they might also produce a harsher ride. When travelling down the highway, wouldn't restricted air flow also restrict response when a wheel hits a bump or dip resulting in a harsher ride? Any comments on ride quality other that "Walmart-Wiggle"? Thanks.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
I've had the MCU's on for several thousand miles. Have traveled to west Texas, through NM, AZ, NV, CA, and OR. Driving on all types of roads. Went to Alaska this summer. In all this travel, I've not noticed the ride being any harsher than before installing them.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot depends on the coach.

I can work under mine, No air bags, Jacks UP, and I tip the scales at over 300 pounds

IF your coach has the kind of ground clearance mine has.. Then the only recommendation I'd make is do not raise it with the jacks. Leave them down

Cause down is down. but falling it will fall farther than it's resting spot (inertia after all)

That said today's coach repair... I did standing up (Short in a light circuit, found it on the first try)
Old 08-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
wa8yxm,
I berlieve you missed the point of Steve's post. This thread had not been used for 21 months prior to Steve's inquiry about harshness of ride with the MCU's. You might say that became the point of restarting this thread. If you are using the MCU's your experience regarding harshness of ride, before vs. after, would be called for here.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Also the point of being on the Alpine Forum. We all have the same suspension, all are diesel pushers (low ground clearance), all have jacks, all have airbags and all are candidates for MCUs.

And speaking of Off Topic...

(Which I am almost never, okay rarely, okay sometimes am...)

Is my bark harsher than my ride? (Yikes! off topic again..)
Old 08-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #24

Thanks Jeff, that is exactly my point. Since so much time has elapsed since the original post, I was wondering if the MCUs have proven to be everything they were made out to be at the beginning. I just seems to me (in my ignorance) that they would cause a harsher ride since they have been described as slowing down air movement within the air ride system. Often times we are enthuiastic about new things and once we use them awhile we find "side effects" that are not so pleasurable. I appreciate your assessment since you installed them.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Steve:

I've been happy with mine. The ride is the same, but the rocking and porpoising are attenuated. Fewer plates fly out of cabinets when I go over steep aprons.

They still allow air to flow through, just not a huge gush at once.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #26

I second takeprides' point on the ride being the same. We have over 10,000 miles on our SSMCU's and have been happy with them. Rocking and porpoising are better, and it just doesn't wobble as stiffly or as hard over bumps, and it helps, I believe, with side wind gusts. So we're happy with them.

Also, Wa8xym; I agree with the others you are off-point on this. Our Alpines with their rear diesels, low ride height, air suspension, and more sophisticated systems are not a typical gas RV. I know because I owned a gas motorhome before this Alpine, and I bought both new. There's a lot of differences in both the coach and their systems.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote