Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:17 PM   #1

I just took my 2001 36ft. FDDS w/Cummings 350 to get the dash air recharged. My local mechanic was able to get it to blow cold but he noticed that the electric fan does not come on when the compressor is engaged. On my coach, the condenser is located on the side radiator and he feels that the fan should be pulling air over the condenser whenever the A/C is operational. It appears that the fan is only engaged based on the radiator temperature. He recommends NOT running the A/C unless air is being pulled over the condenser or it could damage the A/C compressor.

Is this a valid augment and has anyone had any problems with their dash air?

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2005, 12:17 PM   #2

I just took my 2001 36ft. FDDS w/Cummings 350 to get the dash air recharged. My local mechanic was able to get it to blow cold but he noticed that the electric fan does not come on when the compressor is engaged. On my coach, the condenser is located on the side radiator and he feels that the fan should be pulling air over the condenser whenever the A/C is operational. It appears that the fan is only engaged based on the radiator temperature. He recommends NOT running the A/C unless air is being pulled over the condenser or it could damage the A/C compressor.

Is this a valid augment and has anyone had any problems with their dash air?

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2005, 03:46 PM   #3

The cooling fan in driven hydraulically and is controlled by engine temperature. The fan will start when the coolant is up to operating temperature and continue until you shut down.

We have a 2000 and have never had a problem with the A/C during the short warm-up cycle. Once the engine is up to temp the fan will continue to run, gaining speed as load demands. If you are concerned about this condition just wait until the engine is at operating temp before turning on the A/C.

Danny

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
hf

Solo Rvers Club
Danny I had same problem had to replace the thermo valve. I think it made by co called Sour Dan Foss their part 5531-09857-190 WRV part 60651 they can order it for you or you may have to go thu Uhlmann RV there is a tech at WRV that can tell you how to check tto see if it is this part
Old 06-02-2005, 07:53 PM   #5

The radiator fan NOT running will NOT harm the airconditioner. The only problem will be a lack of cold air coming out the vents. I wouldn't worry about it if the fan comes on once the engine is up to temp.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:40 PM   #6

UPDATE -

I was contacted by WRV privately and they are sending me out a 'fix-kit' with all of the parts and instructions to correct this problem. The kit is free and I will have my mechanic install the parts. I'll let you know the details as soon as I receive the instructions.

Pat
Old 06-29-2005, 07:38 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Pat,

Let me know how your fix turns out. We haven't had very cold air from the dash since we bought ours last June. The freon was just checked and is OK.

In the hot San Jaoquin Valley we run the coach A/C, but some days it would be nice to just use the chassis A/C.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:27 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
We also had a dash a/c problem probably from the time we purchased our 2000 in 2002 but didn't realize it wasn't working up to it's full potential. It kept getting worse and worse and we too were trying to run our house air to compensate for it. We finally couldn't stand the heat and inconvenience any longer and took it to Kenworth in Olathe, KS and they found the problem and contacted WRV. Rex at WRV informed them there was a recall from the Acme air conditioner company (no I didn't make up that name) that needed to be installed. The kit was sent by WRV free to Kenworth and we paid for the labor to install it. It fixed the problem and it works a lot better now. I hope this helps.
Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:08 PM   #9

Chuck - What was the problem? Why the recall? What was done?......
Old 06-30-2005, 05:03 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Steve,
Here is how the Kenworth repair folks described the problem on the repair ticket.

"Check and repair for A/C inop, no cold air coming out of the dash. A/C indicator light does come on but no cold air. Brought unit in shop, connected to A/C manifold gauges and found it very low on Freon. Charged systems with Freon and found that when the A/C compressor engaged the high side pressure went straight to 350 PSI. The engine fan never came on when high side pressure increased. Shut engine off and found one of the high pressure hoses leaking. Removed and replaced high pressure hose. Contacted WRV and found that there is a hydraulic drive engine fan update kit for this unit."

WRV sent the kit (parts needed) from Acme free of charge to fix the problem. Kenworth installed the kit but we had to pay for the labor to install the update (recall).

After the repair was made, the dash air worked properly. Rex at WRV knew exactly what needed to be done to fix the problem when Kenworth contacted him so perhaps he can explain it better than we have been able to do. By the way, our repair bill for this little update was $1,469.92. Thank goodness for extended warranties! It seemed to us that the labor charge to install an update kit should have been paid by the company since there obviously was a problem with their product but we found that was not the case with the dash A/C company.

Hope this helps.
Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:00 PM   #11

In the four plus years we've had our 2005 MDTS, the dash a/c has never worked. Several outfits have attempted to fix it but all came up with the same conclusion...until the fan controller draws air over the condenser,when it's at pressure, it'll never work. Just before WRV shut its doors, they sent me two new fan controllers, I installed both, and they didn't solve the problem. I discovered that Cummins can alter the settings on the fan controller, but those changes wont detect high pressure in the A/C condenser loop, so they just run the fan fast all the time. There must be other 2005 owners that have run into the same problem....have any found a fix? We've not had a dash a/c since we bought the coach four years ago.
Mike Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:49 AM   #12

I posted this awhile back:

Apparently, 04 coaches do not activate the hydraulic fan when the dash AC is on. In some cases, where engine controls do not call for fan operation and the condensing coil (stacked by the radiator) needs air flow and doesn't get it (e.g low coolant temp, idle & stopped, hot ambient temp), the AC system can overheat and take out the AC compressor and expansion valve. It happened to me.

I understand new engine controls addressed this on 05/newer, but I don't know if 03/earlier have this issue. I recall some earlier units have a separate "AC on" switch that probably activates the fan. To check, start the motor (cold), turn on the AC and look to see if the fan is operating.

WRV has a kit comprising a solenoid and hydraulic valve to activate the fan.

If you're in the warmer climates, using Dash AC a lot, it seems to me that sooner or later the system will overheat and fail.

Rex Ames and Mark Hara at WRV were very helpful and responsive dealing with this issue.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
I posted this recently in thread: Hydraulic Radiator Fan

"At least with our 2000, the AC has no control of the engine fan speed. ..." (click here for the full reply)
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Everyone:

I think I may have a simple solution for the problem of no hydraulic fan. For my $0.02, if you were to install electric fan or fans on the A/C condenser to come on when the A/C is turned on you will have instant cooling with out the use of the main hydraulic fan.

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote