Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2005, 07:33 PM   #1

On my 2001 Alpine Coach 38FDDS, the dash has begun to crack in the middle. The vinyl is still intact, but the plastic underneath the vinyl has a crack that is about 18" long.

Any suggestions on how to repair this or to stop the cracking from getting worse?

Thanks,

Dale
ACA member
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2005, 07:33 PM   #2

On my 2001 Alpine Coach 38FDDS, the dash has begun to crack in the middle. The vinyl is still intact, but the plastic underneath the vinyl has a crack that is about 18" long.

Any suggestions on how to repair this or to stop the cracking from getting worse?

Thanks,

Dale
ACA member
Old 07-23-2005, 09:13 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Dale,
While I haven't had a crack in the dash, I did have a crack in the panel that covers some of the electrical. It's the one on the right hand side, copilot side in front of the steps. What I used to fix it was JB Weld. It's a two part epoxy that is gray when dry. I sanded both sides of the crack and then applied the JB Weld with a plastic spoon and some popcycle sticks. This worked fine since I could lay the panel on it's face and work with the back laying flat.

It would be a lot harder to do with the dash in place. One suggestion might be to make an aluminum or thin wood strip about 2" wide by length of crack to cover the crack, then put the glue to stripe and place over the crack. Most likely you would need to have some heavy medal weights over the top of the crack and some wedges from below to hold the strip in place until set. Just an idea!

Good Luck with this one.

D&D Rich
Great Salt Lake Route
Old 07-24-2005, 06:04 PM   #4

D&D Rich,

Thanks for the suggestion. If I can get adequate access from underneath the dash, I will try your suggestion. However, after having looked underneath, I'm not sure I can get my hands or tools into the area that needs to be patched. I suppose I could try to remove all kinds of components and ducting that are under the dash to make room??

Dale