Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-18-2005, 07:15 PM   #1

I just noticed a wet spot on the ground beneath the front of the motorhome. I is antifreeze so I checked inside the generator compartment and found a small leak eminating from the heater core. Has anyone taken the core out of their rig? Is using a sealer additive advisable? I'm not worried about the heater core but I sure don't want to plug the engine radiator.

shelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2005, 07:15 PM   #2

I just noticed a wet spot on the ground beneath the front of the motorhome. I is antifreeze so I checked inside the generator compartment and found a small leak eminating from the heater core. Has anyone taken the core out of their rig? Is using a sealer additive advisable? I'm not worried about the heater core but I sure don't want to plug the engine radiator.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:56 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Check the hose clamps goining in and out of the heater core. After one year I developed leaks on both. Tightining the clamps did not help.

After replacing the clamps I discovered the old clamps were catching on an internal tab. This did not alow the clamps to be tightened past a point.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:28 AM   #4

That was the first thing I checked. Most automotive heater leaks are there. Unfortunately the leak is coming from inside the plastic shield on the generator side of the firewall where the heater and A/C cores are.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:30 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Never use a sealer additive in any cooling system. It will compromise heat transfer in the block and radiator.

Cummins has a strong warning to never use any of these products.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:04 AM   #6

New engine: ~$16,000 if all goes well, ~$20K if not.
New heater core: ~$1,000 incl. labor.

Not a great trade off if the additive creates problems. And if the additive creates problems & doesn't work, it adds insult to injury.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:13 PM   #7

Thanks for the posts. I thought about Toyz comments and decided to start by replacing the heater hoses. Both had corrosion on the heater core connectors. I polished them with my Dremel and put on new hoses. The old hoses were pushed tight against the heater core plastic shroud so it is conceivable that they were seeping but only to the inside of the shroud. There was no evidence of seepage on the outside where the old hoses connected. Anyway, I washed everything off, started the engine and didn't see any antifreeze coming out of the bottom of the shroud or at the hose fittings . I left about an eighth of an inch clearance between the end of the new hoses and the shroud so if the hose fittings leak I should see it at the fitting. I need to do a test run though to make sure this fix did the trick. I'll post the outcome of that test.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:16 AM   #8

Well, after monkeying around with the hoses the seepage has returned. It is definitely coming from inside the plastic shroud and not the hose fittings . I'll pull the heater core next. Wish me luck.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:12 AM   #9

How many miles on your rig?
And has the coolant been serviced regularly for the appropriate CCA additives?
Old 10-06-2005, 02:13 PM   #10

I'm done with the heater core repair. First let me answer Engineer Mike's questions. My Alpine has 25K miles and yes I regularly check the coolant for the proper CCA level.

The repair went well. First I disconnected the two heater hoses, the vacuum hose at the bottom of the shroud and two electrical wires on the top of the shroud. There are four slot head bolts and one screw holding the heater/AC shroud on. The screw is on the very top of the shroud and can only be seen with a mirror. I removed the bolts/screw and there was enough play in the AC hoses to lower the whole shroud down and lay it on the generator. There were several more screws with speed nuts needing removal to get into the shroud housing. Once inside the heater core came out very easily. My leak was in one of the headers on the heater core. It obviously had been leaking off and on for some time as I broke off two of the fastening bolts getting the unit out. They were rusted badly. I replaced the four bolts with stainless so there should not be a problem with corrosion if I have to take it off again.

The repair cost me $36 and the stainless bolts $2 for a total cost of $38. Thank goodness it wasn't $1000 which I think is a reasonable estimate if I had gone to an RV repair shop.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:36 AM   #11

Steve - So did you just take the heater core into a radiator shop and have them clean it out and seal it, then reinstal it with you stainless hardware?
Old 10-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #12

Yup, the radiator shop cleaned it, resoldered the leaking header and pressure tested it.