Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #15

Some years ago I sold a Coach House class B to a Canadian. Although Coach House was not on the list it was allowed in because the VIN showed it to be a Ram 3500 van. Not much help with an Alpine Coach though as this is definitely not a van conversion. BTW, the 15 year rule for importing in to Canada is 21 years if importing in to the USA.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #16

Hi

Yes the RIV "list" is a big deal and fortunately I knew about it as I have brought back to Canada another motorhome and a camper van thru the years. As you pointed out it is an expensive oversight if the list is ignored. NAFTA?? It is good for all of us just ask the politicians who made the deal they'll tell just how good it is (for them).

Maybe I can show the folks at the border the Cummins engine and tell them it is a Dodge P/U with big wheels and a big crew cab!

Geoff
alpinedrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #17

Geoff,
So do you now know the DOM of the '99 Alpine? I guess even if it was built in '98 you have to wait a while before you can import it.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #18

John and Mary

It has a DOM of Sept 98. I asked the RIV people if that means I have to wait until Sept/13 or Jan/13 (which would be the start of the 15th year). They didn't specifically answer the question but said I need to prove to the border guy that the vehicle is 15 years old. The coach is in WA near the border so I would take a picture of the DOM label and drive (with the toad) to the border to see what he says. We are down in AZ right now and haven't seen the coach so it may all fall in the water or may be sold by the time we get back up north. I'll keep you posted!

Geoff
Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #19

Hi Everyone and Happy New Year.

I think I have solved my DOM and import into Canada problem. We are buying a 2000 38 FDDS and the deal should be completed by this weekend. How does this solve the import into Canada issue..?? well actually it doesn't for another couple of years but I am going to register it in AZ and drive it when we are down here for the winter and leave it at my brother in laws in the summer. Then we will import it into Canada when it is 15 years old!! I'll let you all know when I have it in my hot little hands

Geoff
Old 12-31-2012, 09:07 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
You should find a plaque or decal next to the drivers seat. It will list GVWR and other info. Here should be your manufactures identification number. Most times the coach is manf same date as the chassis. BTW.
Sometimes, and sometimes not, in fact there is a Federal Law about it. The manufacturer of the complete vehicle sets the date of manufacture, not the chassis maker here in the US.
From RVIA:
Quote:
Q & A’s on Split Model Years for Motorhomes

How is the manufacturing of motorhomes different from cars?

Motorhomes are “multi-stage vehicles.” This means that, unlike cars, they generally are built in two separate stages by two different manufacturers.

How is motorhome manufacturing divided into different stages?

The first-stage manufacturer, also called the “incomplete vehicle manufacturer,” assembles the motorhome chassis. This typically includes such components as the chassis frame, engine, fuel system, transmission, drive train, suspension, wheels, brakes and vehicular electrical system. These “incomplete vehicles” are then sold by the chassis manufacturer to final stage motorhome manufacturers, also called “completed vehicle manufacturers.” The motorhome manufacturers take the chassis and build the coach body, all of the “household” systems, install the appliances, cabinets, furnishings, plumbing, lighting fixtures and a multitude of various amenities, resulting in a completed vehicle.

How do first stage manufacturers identify their vehicles?

According to federal law, at 49 CFR 565.13(a), a vehicle manufactured in more than one stage must have a Vehicle Identification Number (“VIN”) assigned to it by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. One character position in the VIN sequence identifies the model year of the incomplete vehicle. Once it is assigned, this VIN stays with the incomplete vehicle when it is sold to the motorhome manufacturer. The incomplete vehicle manufacturer may also ship the chassis with “Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (“MCO”). This MCO document provides information about each particular chassis.

How do final stage manufacturers identify their vehicles?

Final stage motorhome manufacturers continue to use the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. Motorhome manufacturers also provide MCO documents with their motorhomes when they are shipped to dealers. The model year of the completed motorhome, which is determined by the motorhome manufacturer, appears on this MCO document.

Why do some chassis have a different model year than the completed motorhome?

An incomplete vehicle chassis is manufactured before a completed motorhome is built on it. Motorhome manufacturers may buy hundreds, even thousands, of chassis each year. Because of variations in advance purchases of incomplete vehicle chassis, the flow of new product orders, market conditions and new model roll-outs, the model year of the incomplete vehicle chassis is frequently different from the model year of the completed motorhome.

What are some examples of model year differences?

A group of fifty chassis could be built at the end of a calendar year and assigned that year’s model year by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. A few weeks later, those chassis could be sold to a motorhome manufacturer. The motorhome manufacturer may use half of them to finish production of one motorhome make, assigning those motorhomes the motorhome manufacturer’s current model year on their final MCO’s. These completed motorhomes would have a model year one year greater than the model year of the chassis. The motorhome manufacturer may later use the other half of the chassis in manufacturing a new motorhome design, assigning those motorhomes the next model year. As a result, their final MCO’s would have a model year designation that is two years greater than the chassis model year. In another example, a chassis manufacturer may decide to skip a model year entirely and designate its chassis one year ahead of the then current calendar year. This could result in motorhomes having a model year one year less than the chassis model year.

Who decides what the “official” model year of the vehicle is?

The final stage motorhome manufacturer has authority to designate on the completed vehicle MCO the model year of the completed motorhome. See Federal Trade Commission Staff Opinion (March 5, 2001).

Is it permissible to have different model years for the chassis and completed motorhome?

Yes, it is permissible. The United States Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”) has directly addressed this very issue and determined in a formal staff opinion that it is NOT an unfair or deceptive trade practice for the completed motorhome and its chassis to have different model years. In recognition of the fact that the final stage motorhome manufacturer has the authority to designate the model year for motorhomes, the FTC has stated that the incomplete vehicle chassis manufacturer may use the phrase, “Model Year – Not Applicable” on the MCO’s for the incomplete vehicles it sends to final stage motorhome manufacturers, if
it so chooses. See Federal Trade Commission Staff Opinion (March 5, 2001).

Is the motorhome manufacturer required to disclose the difference between the model year of the incomplete vehicle and the model year of the incomplete chassis?

No. However, four states (California, Maryland, Michigan and Wisconsin) require dealers to inform purchasers of multi-stage vehicles of the difference between the model year of the incomplete vehicle chassis and the model year of the final stage motorhome.

What information is used by state DMV offices to register motorhomes?

When a consumer has a new motorhome registered for the first time, the state DMV will use both the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer and the model year and make assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer for the vehicle registration. All states should title motorhomes using the model year assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer.

What should I do if a state DMV registers a new motorhome with the chassis model year?

If a DMV employee insists on using the incomplete chassis model year, please call the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association at 703-620-6003 for assistance. Ask for the Government Affairs Department.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
Adding insult to injury they paid for an extended warranty on the thing. They subsequently had a claim and when submitted to the insurance company they found the dealership had taken their money but never purchased the policy....
Another reason not to by the service policy (they are not "warranties" under the law, no matter what they call them). You can only buy a warranty from the original manufacturer.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinedrvr View Post
I'm considering a 1999 Alpine Coach and would like to know how you find the date of manufacture. There is a date on the chassis, but is there a sticker that indicates when the coach itself was manufactured?

Thanks
Geoff
Hi Geoff, I also have a 99 Alpine. I think my owners manuel shows how to read the info on the serial number. I am not at my coach this minute, and do not have internet in our motorhome, but if you want to call me I would do my best to help. You say it must be 15 years old. I think 98 was the first year. My 99 was built in July 98 serial # (last numbers) 72065. Don Robinson 314 610 2622 old trucker
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #23

Hi Don

thanks for the reply. i found somewhere how you read the VIN and I don't think it says what the DOM is. That is found on the sticker by the DS in the generator slide. I've decide to buy a 2000 DOM DEC 99 and keep it in the south where we snowbird for the next 2 years and then maybe bring it back!

Geoff