Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #1

We have a 2005 Alpine Limited coach and have had endless problems with our shades. We have our forth replacement on order and tonight another developed a problem...fraying string. Anyone else? We are tired of replacing these shades with the same inferior quality that the company sends. Any sugestions?
Thanks,
Bob Brown

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #2

We have a 2005 Alpine Limited coach and have had endless problems with our shades. We have our forth replacement on order and tonight another developed a problem...fraying string. Anyone else? We are tired of replacing these shades with the same inferior quality that the company sends. Any sugestions?
Thanks,
Bob Brown

Old 03-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #3

Bob,

I have restrung my blinds using the re-string kits from http://www.dirtyblindman.com/. I have restrung three of my blinds due to the fraying string problem. So far I have not had to redo a blind that I restrung. It is not hard to do. The hardest part is rehanging them and getting the tension correct. Which you have to do if you buy a replacement. It sure beats replacing the blind.

Dirtyblindman sells a kit, and it comes with a mini-CD with pictures and instructions.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I agree, DirtyBlindMan is a good place to go information and there repair kit.

On my shades that have failed, the caused was fraying string. There is a small nylon guide (grommet) every place the string enters the aluminum rails. In each case this guide has rotated sideways causing the string to wear against the sharp aluminum edge.

As a preventative maintenance inspect all the nylon guides in your shades and ensure they are seated fully in there appropriate hole.

When working properly the shades should work for thousands of cycles.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:49 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Gary, thanks for the tip on the guides! We are going to pick up our new baby shortly, and I have added that to my 8 page PDI list. John says we'll need to stay at the factory for at least 3 weeks to look at all the stuff I want to be sure to inspect.
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:20 AM   #6

Gary is correct, the cause of the failure was the nylon bushing came out of its proper place and the string rubbed on the aluminum. On two of mine, the holes in the blind didn't match up correctly, so I had to drill a new hole get get the bushing to push in correctly. Once you get them apart, you can see how they work. Or didn't work. The kit includes new bushings. None of mine were worn, just out of place.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:36 AM   #7

We used the Dirty Blind man and it worked great. We called him and he gave us a great tip. There is a "keeper" that is put in backwards, it is what causes the string to tear. If you get them from him, call him and he will expain it.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:44 PM   #8

We have used he Dirty Blind Man for two re-strings. When I called him and said his cd would not work in our Mac he emailed the body of the cd to us. He called back to be sure everything was ok. A real pleasure to find someone so conscientious.

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:18 PM   #9

Thanks for all the advice. I have restrung my blinds with the kits from Dirty Blinds and all is well.
Bob Brown