Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:56 PM   #1

Dead in Water in Cheyenne

I pulled into the driveway of the rv park shut off the engine for check in. When I tried to start it again to move to my spot there is nothing. Starter won't engage. I reset the vansco and chassis disconeect, checked batt volts at 13.5v, the house batts all show 6.5v, tried the battery boost all to no avail. Vansco shows 4 and 17 input, 19 output.

I'm sitting in the driveway!

Suggestions??

Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 07:21 PM   #2

I've had to crawl under the coach ; in this same situation ; due to a faulty starter relay. I jumped from the main battery to starter cable to the power feed on the starter solenoid and the coach cranked over .

First thing to check though is; does the trans shift pad show neutral?

Old 06-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #3

Assume by "6.5v" you mean as measured by each individual house battery, vs measuring them in series to produce 12v or more--right? Could be any number of things, but try these:

1. Try repeatedly turn ignition switch from off to start--could be switch.

2. Check/clean battery posts and cable ends on chassis batteries.

3. "Secondary" starter solenoid is mounted behind left-side/rear wall of battery compartment, near air filter. A. see if you are getting ignition voltage to one of the two small lugs on solenoid with switch in start position. B. if not, try jumping between two large lugs on solenoid to by-pass and trigger main starter solenoid [only 12v and low amps so don't be worried here]. C. Try modest striking/tapping of starter housing on engine while switch is in start position.

4. New item--make sure Allison shifter display is lit and showing "N" in gear indicator window.

Let us know what you find out......

PS-- make sure someone is behind the wheel, brake is set and tranny in neutral......
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:47 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Dead in Water in Cheyenne

Had the same situation 2 years ago in Butte, Montana, Old Scout has you on the right trail. When you turn switch to start (you will need a helper to do this) do you hear the starting relay (on the wall near the air cleaner) click, if so it is the starter, is not it is the relay. Try the jump procedures above. The new starters have a relay that requires a lower voltage (it is a long trip from battery to the switch and back to the starter relay), see picture below for starter part number
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1465951520.586558.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	130265
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:09 PM   #5

have volts at one small lug

NO volts to either of the large lugs on the solenoid, one should be hot correct? This is with the switch in the start position
Old 06-14-2016, 09:07 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Yes, one should be hot (to ground).
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:20 PM   #7

OK youse guys!!!!

I got under there again and started checking voltage. When I checked volts at the starter solenoid hot lead the 2/0 cable came off in my hand, the lug had worried itself in two!!

I used a jumper cable directly to the solenoid and got it started and I am happily sipping a very strong vodka tonic in my designated space. I will head to town tomorrow and have a new cable made and also have a new end crimped on the old cable so that I will have a spare, which will insure I never have this problem again.

Thanks again for the quick responses and once again my Alpine has added a bit more adventure to my trip

PS my new full length heater hoses have performed flawlessly, it is so much easier dealing with these little things at home in the driveway at your leisure!!

Thanks again, Terry
Old 06-14-2016, 09:29 PM   #8

Great to hear that your mobile and set for the night.
Enjoy the VT.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #9

Good on you--gald it all worked out--I usually try to keep my diagnostic process simple [KISS] but more often than not, I find its the last thing I check that turns out to be the problem [smile]/////

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water