Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:06 PM   #1

Deep Cycle Battery Terminals....

Howdy everyone..

While I'm addressing brake issues I have decided to do several things...one of which is cleaning the battery compartment.

It's a good thing too...because one of my 6 volt batteries has a very weak cell. I can't complain though...the Interstate 20 Amp Hr Rating 232 batteries lasted since 4/2008. I attribute the long life of these batteries to the 3 stage smart charger that comes in these motorhomes. Thank
you Alpine.

Batteries are out ...compartment is washed and clean ...the problem is that this 2001 Alpine has 6 very large battery cables going the the positive side of the lead house battery. They are mounted to a clamp type connector which is in turn clamped on the (+) standard 6 v.battery post .

Interstate and Trojan...don't sell a deep cycle 6 volt battery with a standard battery post anymore...more like a half post with a 3/8's stud on top Certainly not enough surface to mount a regular battery clamp (with all with the cables of my current set up bolted to it).

Anyone have this issue...if so what did you wind up doing. I can make it work...but I'm not too happy about all the extra work.

I'm thinking of a single "insulated stud connector "mounted on the wall of compartment... ...and attach all the cables to the insulated stud....with one heavy cable going to the battery terminal from the stud, instead of the 6 big cables that are presently attached there.??

What say ye gents...?

Also what's your preference of deep cycle battery these days...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 07:11 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Stan,

I'm in the process of changing all of my batteries out right now. I had Interstate U2200 deep cycle wet cells and Group 31 starting bats. My bats have done well since 2/09 and no reason to believe there's a current problem. I'm changing them as a preventive measure.

The deep cycle bats have 5/16" threaded posts which I believe are the same as the GC2 bats which replace the old U2200 bats (discontinued). Do yours have 3/8" posts?

The starting bats have the old clamping style posts. The Group 31 bats should come with the old style posts. However, you can purchase adapters that convert threaded posts to clamping posts if necessary.

The interesting aspect of the old U2200 bats is their height which is considerably shorter than the GC2 bats. My house bats are sitting on 3/4" thick plywood to enable the hold down straps to match the height of both sets of bats. It appears the plywood is no longer required (Yeah!).

Several owners have incorporated an insulated bus bar with 4 - 5 studs and rerouted cables appropriately. As enticing as it would be to "improve" the cabling scheme, I've decided to just keep things the way they are currently. The cost & hassle is more than I'm willing to spend at this point. I've already removed the bats which was a whole lot easier than I anticipated.

Good luck! Let us know how it all turns out.

FWIW ... Jim A posted a pic of using "U-channel" from Grainger to hold down the bats. I bought a 5' length and plan to cut it into 2 - pieces. It's strong plastic and fire resistant as well.

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #3

This may come in handy to attach additional cables to the batteries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1431132224.587308.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	93770
Old 05-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #4

What batteries are you using Bob?

I bought a set of Trojan T-105's because I can get them for $100 each plus tax and a battery core.

I really like Interstate and they have a little higher rating, so I'm having a little buyer's remorse. Especially since I'm going to have a hassle putting them in.

The threaded posts on the new Trojan 6 volt batteries are 5/16 . I don't know what size the old Interstate U200 6 volt batteries' threaded post were really, and they are already traded in. I was just thinking they were 3/8's in the post above for some reason

Three of the old Interstates were good (just old)...I may wish I had kept them if these Trojans don't hold up well..

Something else odd...you said your house bats are taller than your U2200's.

My house bats were U2200 UTL deep cycle 6 volts. . My start bats which are sealed Interstate 31 MHD 12 Volts... are the ones that have to sit on a raised pad to be even.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #5

Bob..

Where can you get an insulated bus bar with studs...a heavy duty one that is?
Old 05-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #6

West Marine sells large bus bars
Old 05-08-2015, 10:06 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our OEM Interstate U-2200's went one month short of 10 years in the '02 Dutch Star, replaced them with the GC-2's also from Interstate. I did add 4 oz of mineral oil to each cell which cut way down on the water they needed as well as corrosion in the all steel battery tray.
Our 4 1233 CCA starting batteries and 4 AGM 8D batteries in the Magna are going to need replacing soon though. Not sure why they have only lasted 6 years.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:08 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a device called a "Terminal block"
Transfer all the wires to a single-stud terminal block, then add one more (larger than the others) from that block to the battery.

If you have a main fuse.. Move wires to that terminal block (how I did it).
https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...odege_001&vm=p
Old 05-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #9

Many owners of early model [pre-vansco] Alpines have struggles with the multiple cables on the positive bat posts. Some have used buss bars to redistribute connections. I used the two lower 3/8" studs on the 300 amp fuse block above the start bats to redistribute my house cables, also did away with the fatboy bat solenoid connections--150k miles and 13 years and never really had much of a reason to use the momentary switch....
Bat preferences--Interstate, Trojan, Sams GC2s, Costco, AGM--everyone has their own opinion....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Stan,

I have the exact same Interstate bats as you had. The U2200 house bats are 232 AH and the Group 31's are 950 CCA.

Since I've gotten 6 1/2 problem free years from them I'm sticking with Interstate. I considered US Battery which is a large golf cart battery provider and their GC2's are somewhat less expensive ($110). The local Interstate store is selling their GC2's for $122 (about $30 discount). One other option was Energizer GC2's at Sam's Club for $112 (don't want any pink bunnies getting free rides!).

I will continue to employ the Pro-Fill water filling system. A previous post claims that Pro-Fill only lasts from 4 - 6 years but that's still MUCH better than dealing with all that corrosion collecting on the batteries let alone the ease of filling. My current set are only 2 - years old. I'll just have to watch the Pro-Fill system for leaks while filling and change them when necessary. Interestingly, one of my hold down threaded rods had literally eroded away to a point about half way down.

The cable terminations on my bats do not exceed 3 - cables per terminal which is barely manageable. The far back POS terminal is the worse one due to limited space. And, it has the largest cables connected such as the short one from the fatboy that OS mentioned.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #11

Thanks guys...lots of good information. I agree with all of it.

I need one with a standard post unless I want to get held up waithing for a junction block to arrive.

I stumbled into a 6 volt deep cycle 230 amp/20 hr. battery today I hadn't ever heard of.

It is a Duracell SLI-GC115...

They are are decently priced ($90)and American made. Sold by Batteries+Bulbs.

I buy nothing but Duracell small household batteries and swear by them. Has anyone had any input or experience with/on these batteries. I can get them today...and get busy with my brake repairs. Other wise...it will be noon or later Monday. (toe-tap ....grumble,lol!)
Old 05-09-2015, 02:20 PM   #12

Stan, why don't you be the first to use the Duracell Battery and then you can give us a report on how well they perform. I'm a Duracell Battery user myself, but the dealer had just replaced all my batteries with a brand that was probably made in China along with my Triangle tires. I will use these until they fail to do the job. I have & will use the mineral oil method to help keep down the acid in the compartment.

2005 Alpine 40 FDQS
Thanks
Ralph
Old 05-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #13

Ralph..

Yeah...I guess I could be be Guinea Pig, Jr. (wouldn't be the first time lol!) I'm gathering information on those batteries as we speak. One thing that the store says is that they weigh 60.5 lbs....but they still are supposedly rated at 230AH according to them. Something doesn't add up here. More to come.

EDIT: Well they were misrepresented and will be a special order if I wanted them....if they are still available?? They cost $110 and weigh 64 lbs.

The $90 are 215 ah or something. Not the same I was told at all...! So back to Trojan or Interstate....if I can find one with a standard battery post...(and 5/16 terminals to connect them in series).

Your post is the second time I have seen a reference to mineral oil in the batteries...bob mentioned it early on.

What's up with that...I hadn't heard of it before...but I do have a huge problem with acid in the battery compartment (as most do I suspect), and I gather that it really helps that issue??
Old 05-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #14

IMHO--mineral oil is a remedy only after your bats have been in use for several years and are starting to show normal signs of gassing. The MO simply covers the surface of the water and creates a tension to reduce evap while gassing. If you are having "huge problems with gassing"--it suggests your bats are old, or your inverter or alternator are over charging them or both--one problem tends to intensify the other......

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery