Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2015, 07:03 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Did we really just do that

or did I just add wrong. I decided for the fun of it to see what sort of fuel mileage we were getting from Redding, CA to Fife, WA. My figures said we got 10.03 MPG! This just seems to good to be true. Do any of you ever check your fuel mileage?

Also, are any of you going to be at the Rally in Winchester Bay, OR. I haven't seen anything about it on here. We are not a member of any groups yet, but we will be carving at a big chainsaw carving event in the town next door (Reedsport) on that weekend. It would be great to join in with the group, although we couldn't attend anything until Sunday night. Would it be worth our time? We have never been to a rally, but would love to meet up with people that have experience with a coach like ours.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bob and Cindy

Glad to have you here with us. 10gal mpg would be great. I would advise you to do the mileage check several times. Several things can change your mpg. Head wind, tail wind, speed you travel at. Even the quantity of fuel you put on board can vary. Some nozzels can click off early etc.

Wishing you good luck and Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:06 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've recorded every once of gas I've used over 70,000 miles. My average is 7.1 mpg over those 70,000 miles. I check short trips occasionally and have seen around 9 on a trip from Ashland, Oregon to Clovis, California. I had a very strong tail wind that trip. 10 is really pretty good but if I were you I'd track your mileage for a long period of time to get a good overall average. On a recent 1,100 mile trip I didn't take my toad and got 8.1mpg. Do you pull a toad?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:58 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Mileage depends up on multiple factors, terrain and spa ad mostly. When I keep it around 55 I will be around 10, when I push it up to 70, I normally run around 7.5 to 8.0. Use "economy" and cruise control, but as someone said, check multiple trips.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Mileage depends up on multiple factors, terrain and spa ad mostly. When I keep it around 55 I will be around 10, when I push it up to 70, I normally run around 7.5 to 8.0. Use "economy" and cruise control, but as someone said, check multiple trips.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
I was getting up to 10 but I will have to check multiple stops. Well, 9.6 is almost 10 lol
mikensallyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #6

I track mileage with my Silverleaf VMSpc which I calibrate form time to time. According to the VMSpc I have averaged 9.6 mpg for the last 30,000 miles. The mileage varies a lot depending on speed, wind and hills. I have taken long trips on flat terrain and achieved over 11 mpg. I have also taken trips in the mountains with head winds and only got around 7 mpg. I also calculate the mileage on some trips to compare with the VMSpc readings. I find that the fuel consumption readings coming out of the engine tend to drift over time which requires recalibrating the VMSpc on a fairly regular basis.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyKfrmWA View Post
or did I just add wrong. I decided for the fun of it to see what sort of fuel mileage we were getting from Redding, CA to Fife, WA. My figures said we got 10.03 MPG! This just seems to good to be true. Do any of you ever check your fuel mileage?

Also, are any of you going to be at the Rally in Winchester Bay, OR. I haven't seen anything about it on here. We are not a member of any groups yet, but we will be carving at a big chainsaw carving event in the town next door (Reedsport) on that weekend. It would be great to join in with the group, although we couldn't attend anything until Sunday night. Would it be worth our time? We have never been to a rally, but would love to meet up with people that have experience with a coach like ours.

Check your private messages on this site
Old 03-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
We plan to do quite a bit of traveling this summer/fall, so I will keep track. We were pulling a trailer with some wood carvings on it, but it would not be as heavy as a car. Our plan is to tow our 2013 Honda Odyssey mini van, with a wheelchair lift on a dolly. I imagine this will be one of the last times we ever see a number that good. But it was pretty exciting...this one time. lol Our Winnebago was getting between 5 and 7. With 5 extra feet on this coach, I was totally expecting around 5 to 6.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
10.2 and that's with towing our car.
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Bob and Cindy,

The Northwest Alpine Coach Association, aka NoWACA, is putting on the Winchester Bay rally in June. Within the Alpine Coach family across the USA there are several different regional associations, as well as the larger national Alpine Coach Association, aka ACA. All are affiliated with FMCA. You can actually join as many as you'd like. You can find a lot on info on the web sites. Check out NoWACA.com. Hope to see you at a rally soon.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote