Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #1

Did your slide topper have a metal shield or just rolled up canvas?

Finally got a slide topper from Camping World...drop shipped from Dometic.

I ordered the one that had the metal shield when rolled up. The shield will not tilt up far enough to let the awning out when mounted in my 2001 Alpine drip rail sleve.

My question is...did Alpines have slide toppers with the metal shield from the mfg...or did they just have plain toppers with canvas exposed when rolled up?

This one ain't gona work as is!

Stan..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Stan the older Alpines like yours and mine came with the Canvas only slide toppers. Newer Alpinesmanufactured in 2003 or 2004 came with the metal shield but some of the owners experienced problems because when the topper had water or ice and you did not remove it before closing the slide they medal cover could be damaged when closing the slide.

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
Stan the older Alpines like yours and mine came with the Canvas only slide toppers. Newer Alpinesmanufactured in 2003 or 2004 came with the metal shield but some of the owners experienced problems because when the topper had water or ice and you did not remove it before closing the slide they medal cover could be damaged when closing the slide.

OK Dave ...Thanks for the reply.

I'm relieved...I just ordered the wrong item.
I believe I can just remove the metal cover..and then reinstall the awning (provided the canvas is long/wide enough). I'll have to do a little measuring in the morning to see how far it will roll out.

This coach only had brackets ..no awning when I got it. So I just ordered it like all the other awnings were ..with the metal protector. My bad..

Do the slide toppers without the metal protector flap much in the wind when retracted ...and driving?

Thanks again..Stan
Old 11-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #4

Stan,

Before you remove the metal cover, it would be good to measure the dimension between the bracket and the awning rail. (See figure 2 in the installation manual.) There is a 6" minimum, 7" maximum dimension shown, and that should determine if the awning will roll up properly. If I had the choice, I would keep the metal cover model. I live in SoCal, so freezing temps is not a problem!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic Slide Topper.pdf (223.9 KB, 74 views)
Old 11-23-2010, 03:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
Stan,

Before you remove the metal cover, it would be good to measure the dimension between the bracket and the awning rail. (See figure 2 in the installation manual.) There is a 6" minimum, 7" maximum dimension shown, and that should determine if the awning will roll up properly. If I had the choice, I would keep the metal cover model. I live in SoCal, so freezing temps is not a problem!

Thanks for the post Jim..

I perfer the metal covers also...in fact I've never had an awning that didn't have the metal cover.

I was attempting to use the factory style slide brackets...which were mounted 5" below the factory drip/mounting rail on the coach. (5" calls for calls for a 90 degree bracket..as was factory on the coach slide, unlike the 45 degree bracket required for the 6" min./7"max dimensions)

Note: There is only 2 1/4" between the top of the slide and the factory coach side mounting rail....which makes mounting the coach side sleve rail that came with the new awning metal cover very close if I mounted under the existing factory mounting/drip rail. Could be a big problem if the slide got out of adjustment again..

When the new awning metal cover is slid into the factory coach side mounting rail ...the metal cover will not tilt up enough to clear the slide as it moves in or out. The metal cover binds in the coach mounting rail itself...because the mounting rail grove faces down more than out....and the metal cover can't tilt up enough to clear the slide. Clear as mud huh?

The factory mounting/drip rail could be used I believe ...if I delete the metal cover. The canvas is flexible enough allow the awning to tilt up more..and clear the slide. Once I figured that out I decided that the original slide awning on the 2001 Alpines likely never had the metal cover....hence my questions. And, according to Dave, that is correct....Bummer!

I think to mount one with a metal cover I would have to install a different coach mounting rail...AND remove the old slide brackets, then mount 45 degree brackets farther down to have the 6' min/7" max distance between the bracket and the coach side mounting rail..

That would leave some ugly bracket tracket tracks where the factory 90 degree slide brackets were...hmm. I just thought about that..The slide would probably obscure those tracks when mounted.

There is another option too...a piece of canvas between the metal cover and the coach side mounting rail 1" wide would give the flexibility needed for the metal cover to tilt up, and not bind on the coach mounting rail....or hit the slide when it is moved in or out.

That's not my idea.. something similar to that is how the main patio awning is mounted. The metal cover is "not" mounted to the coach mounting rail on the 2001 I have...rather to a narrow piece of canvas that is in turned mounted to the coach side mounting rail.

What a pain...30 minute job...turns into 3 weeks worth of parts exchanging etc., still doesn't work.

Best regards..Stan
Old 11-23-2010, 05:45 AM   #6

Correction:

Quote:
That would leave some ugly bracket tracket tracks where the factory 90 degree slide brackets were...hmm. I just thought about that..The slide would probably obscure those tracks when mounted.

I meant to say..
That would leave some ugly BRACKET TRACKS where the factory 90 degree slide brackets were...hmm. I just thought about that..The slide AWNING would probably obscure those tracks when mounted.

Sorry ..Stan
Old 11-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #7

After a long day on the phone..it appears Dometic has a metal awning guard that is for our kind of coach. The tech claims they don't sell them without awning guards...since forever..and says he's been with Dometic 35 years.

We all know that's not right though. However I could tell he knew where the metal guard was binding and what was needed to cure the problem. He described our mounting rail to a T and the angle that it was....which is where the problem is.

If the opening on the slot on the coach mounting rail does not face straight out or slightly up...the new awning guards will not work.

Naturally the Alpine mounting rail slot faces downward.

Sooo...for those that would like a metal guard on their earlier Alpine's slide topper here's the part number for one that that is supposed to work. I guarantee camping world has never heard of it....it is straight from a Dometic tech (..named Al).

This is for a "white" metal awning guard: Part # 3311866.186-B

The cost is about $235.00 for the guard only. I ordered one so we will know in a week or two if it works correctly or not.

You can be sure I'll post if it DOESN'T work..

Best regards..Stan
Old 11-24-2010, 12:24 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
Newer Alpinesmanufactured in 2003 or 2004 came with the metal shield but some of the owners experienced problems because when the topper had water or ice and you did not remove it before closing the slide they medal cover could be damaged when closing the slide.
I can attest. Even though I also live in SoCal, I love to camp in the snow. Each time I have snow build-up, I have to clear it or move the slide in bit by bit, allowing snow, ice and water to fall/drain off. Otherwise the slide comes in crooked, bound up with the metal cover. Fortunately I've not caused any damage (yet).
Old 11-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
I can attest. Even though I also live in SoCal, I love to camp in the snow. Each time I have snow build-up, I have to clear it or move the slide in bit by bit, allowing snow, ice and water to fall/drain off. Otherwise the slide comes in crooked, bound up with the metal cover. Fortunately I've not caused any damage (yet).

I take it that the "canvas only" topper would be better...if I planned on a snow adventure? I can still cancel the order today ..I think?

Stan..
Old 11-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #10

I have the canvas only cover on my slide-out and it works fine. No noise when driving.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:31 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I think the metal shield cover is still considered superior (if it works okay). It certainly preserves the canvas better and slows any potential billowing. Looks better, too.

I'm thinking my big slide cover just needs to be tightened a little bit. It does indeed collect snow and water. The water has never caused a problem, but the heavy snow will keep it weighed down enough to hold the metal against the top of the slide. I don't intend to change it.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #12

To follow up:

Well after waiting another 3 weeks to get the awning guard for $235 that is supposed to work on an Alpine, it has issues too.

When retracting the slide the metal guard snags the slide's top ledge...then "pops loose" when it finally gets in a big enough bind. I'm afraid it is going to really bend the top of the slide if it fails to pop loose. Its evident to me that the "canvas only" approach will have a better angle to shed water and definitely will not hang up when retracting.

The mounting rail from Alpine on the later coaches has to be slightly different to work with these awning guards...and is likely why the early models don't have the metal guards.

Bummer! Hope they will make a refund...it's been a real hassle to no avail.

Stan..