Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #1

Diesel fuel over filled I think

I think/hope that the diesel fuel that I found under the front of my Alpine was due to me overfilling. I filled my tank a couple of weeks ago and parked my Alpine level. Not a drop of fuel for two weeks. I needed to take my Alpine to a shop this morning so last night I got it ready by parking it front nose down in my driveway so I could drive away without waking my neighbors. When I got in my Alpine last night I noticed that there was a puddle near the front but thought it was water from the recent rain that ran off. This morning I could see that it was diesel fuel. When I was driving a bit more ran out of the front area, most likely from the build up in the nooks and crannies.

Has anyone else had diesel fuel run out of their Alpine when full, and parked nose down?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #2

Sounds to me like a leak. Have someone look at it. No way should fuel come out just because you're parked nose down.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #3

Your fuel tank and system should be sealed, even a loose fuel cap will set off a engine code.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #4

You really need to crawl under and determine the source of the leak.

May be a cracked vent hose, loose hose clamp, etc.

I had to replace the vent hose on our 2003 due to cracking. No big deal.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #5

Had a leaking fuel cap on mine. Replaced with locking cap, no problems.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #6

is the generator up front?
Old 12-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Look where fill hose slips on to the King Nipple going into the tank. Mine was leaking there. Hose had slipped off a little letting it leak. Replaced hose for good measure.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Mine would leak after every fillup. It was a deteriorated vent tubing.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:35 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
My bet is on the vent tubing. They do rot and cause leaking when faced down hill.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:55 PM   #10

I'm with Skiddy on this one. Your generator has its own fuel pump so it will run independent of the coach. The gen fuel pump is mounted with a rubber seal for vibration good chance it maybe leaking. Good luck
BillandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #11

The main point is that your fuel system has a leak and it needs to get fixed before a spark or fire changes your priorities.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Arnold View Post
My bet is on the vent tubing. They do rot and cause leaking when faced down hill.
Thank you Gary, I will look at that closely.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:50 AM   #13

A couple of years ago, I filled my tank and then proceeded to drive down a mountain road. After a while, my wife and I started to smell something . Having just passed a body shop I foolishly thought it was coming from there. When we reached the bottom, still smelling this odor, I pulled off and walked around to the front of the coach. Realizing that the smell was emanating from the coach, I opened the generator slide to discover the whole section and generator bathed in diesel fuel. I cleaned it up as best I could, and concluded that the combination of topping off the tank and the extremely steep grade caused it. I've never had it happen again.
Mocha Latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha Latte View Post
A couple of years ago, I filled my tank and then proceeded to drive down a mountain road. After a while, my wife and I started to smell something . Having just passed a body shop I foolishly thought it was coming from there. When we reached the bottom, still smelling this odor, I pulled off and walked around to the front of the coach. Realizing that the smell was emanating from the coach, I opened the generator slide to discover the whole section and generator bathed in diesel fuel. I cleaned it up as best I could, and concluded that the combination of topping off the tank and the extremely steep grade caused it. I've never had it happen again.
Thanks for the info. My Alpine is in the shop for another issue so I have not had a chance to check anything yet. I will update if/when I find a smoking gun.

Tags
diesel, fuel, led