Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #1

I seem to be having a lot of issues with leaks lately. One is a new issue that came up today on my last 150 miles or so returning from Palm Springs to Tacoma, WA. I have a diesel leak that I found when I got to my driveway near Tacoma. I have fuel coming down the passenger side of the engine and appears to be from somewhere near the injectors or the manifold feeding the injectors, but the fuel filter is near that area as well. There's just diesel everywhere on the side of the engine and dripping down the engine block.

It leaks a drop every couple seconds while the engine's running and slows down to nothing withing 5 minutes of stopping. There's really no way of knowing where it's coming from until the bed is removed and the lid lifted above the valve cover, and maybe the engine steam cleaned to get a good look at it.

I plan to call Cummins NW in the morning and see whether they want me to drive the 25 miles to bring it in or get a mobile truck to it. I think it's related to the injector system because it leaks mostly when the engine's running and under fuel pressure. I also detect the "sound" of a leak with a little bit of a high pitched whistle that is not coming from the turbo, which makes me think it's either the injectors or the rail feeding it.

I wouldn't bring this up because I'm having my share of leak problems with the engine and its accessories, but I also had a 2004 model boat on salt water in Puget Sound with twin Cummins 330's and I brought it home 3 times on one engine with injector, fuel pump or shaft seal leaks. Is it just me, or are have others had problems with diesel leaks on their Cummins engines? I have 28,000 miles on this engine and after solving the oil leak problems a while back, I'm very disappointed with the fuel leaks, especially having had this problem with our boat, and wanted to get a feeling if this is typical of Cummins engines or if I'm in the minority.

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #2

I seem to be having a lot of issues with leaks lately. One is a new issue that came up today on my last 150 miles or so returning from Palm Springs to Tacoma, WA. I have a diesel leak that I found when I got to my driveway near Tacoma. I have fuel coming down the passenger side of the engine and appears to be from somewhere near the injectors or the manifold feeding the injectors, but the fuel filter is near that area as well. There's just diesel everywhere on the side of the engine and dripping down the engine block.

It leaks a drop every couple seconds while the engine's running and slows down to nothing withing 5 minutes of stopping. There's really no way of knowing where it's coming from until the bed is removed and the lid lifted above the valve cover, and maybe the engine steam cleaned to get a good look at it.

I plan to call Cummins NW in the morning and see whether they want me to drive the 25 miles to bring it in or get a mobile truck to it. I think it's related to the injector system because it leaks mostly when the engine's running and under fuel pressure. I also detect the "sound" of a leak with a little bit of a high pitched whistle that is not coming from the turbo, which makes me think it's either the injectors or the rail feeding it.

I wouldn't bring this up because I'm having my share of leak problems with the engine and its accessories, but I also had a 2004 model boat on salt water in Puget Sound with twin Cummins 330's and I brought it home 3 times on one engine with injector, fuel pump or shaft seal leaks. Is it just me, or are have others had problems with diesel leaks on their Cummins engines? I have 28,000 miles on this engine and after solving the oil leak problems a while back, I'm very disappointed with the fuel leaks, especially having had this problem with our boat, and wanted to get a feeling if this is typical of Cummins engines or if I'm in the minority.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:26 AM   #3

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
When we pulled into Savannah last year, I had a diesel leak in the same place.I drove the coach to Cummins and, after some time, they found a cracked fitting on the injector manifold where it connects to high pressure from the pump. As luck would have it, they had a blown engine with the part on it and I was in and out in less than 3 hours.

The crack was so small that you could barely see it but at something like 2000 psi, it leaked a lot.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:45 AM   #4

I, too, have a '06, 36' that got a fuel leak at 1600 miles and had to be towed to Yakima Cummins. It turned out to be a return fuel line. The rig ran fine but I know just how messy the engine compartment can get. Until I was flagged down by another motor home, I left quite a trail. You can imagine what the toad looked like!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:50 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Bill,

At only 2,500 miles I had a diesel leak in the same location. Cummins found the injector pump leaking internally and replaced the pump under warranty.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cummins does have a recall bulletin issued for certain ISL engines where a fuel line needs to be replaced with one with a support bracket in order to prevent failure from vibration. I'd check with Cummins, giving them your engine serial number,to see if your's falls within that group.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:07 AM   #7

I too had a problem on an ISL 350 from 2004. Turned out to be very difficult to find as it would only leak under heavy load when the pressure is at it's peak. Cummins West replaced all of the high pressure fule lines as they could not identify the offending one. I would call them and ask their opinion, but I would make the 25 mile trek to their location if it is safe to do so.
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:35 PM   #8

Forester-
My guess is your leak is like Basil's because of the "diesel everywhere" aspect. The Injection Pump pushes very high pressure fuel into a for-aft pipe from which the injectors tap. This "common rail" system has 7 taps, one for the IP to push fuel in, and one for each cylinder's injector line. The rail is outside the block on passenger side. If it was the lift pump (also on that side but about midway from top to bottom and fore to aft) there would only be fuel from midway down & aft. Sounds more like high pressure spray. I copiloted an ISB pickup down Baja & back which had a similar leak where the injector line entered the top of engine assembly. Haven't had trouble w/our ISL's (yet).
Good luck w/the fix. Sounds routine except for cleaning up the mess.

BTW, anybody w/the software from Cummins should be able to command high RPMs to kick IP output to highest pressure while coach is in neutral if they can't find a leak while idling.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:24 PM   #9

Thanks for all your input. I managed to get the coach the 20 miles or so to Cummins NW today without soaking too many cars behind me. When I stopped in their parking lot I must have leaked a half-pint of fuel until the fuel pressure slacked off.

Turns out the problem was exactly as Cruzer said. The fuel delivery line (a Cummins part) to the fuel manifold had vibrated loose. The recall was to replace that line with one with an attached bracket to stop the vibration.

Cummins NW said they knew of the recall but had not seen an ISL engine actually have that problem until now. Fortunately they should have the part tomorrow, quickly replace it, steam clean the engine compartment for me and I'll get on my way.

Those of you with ISL 400 engines may want to check to see if yours is part of this recall and get it replace before you have the problem. It comes on quickly (like in the last 75 miles of my 1300 miles from Palm Springs to Tacoma in the last 3 days); it's messy, and gets worse fairly quickly.

When I pick up the coach I'll see if I can get the engine serial numbers for the recall and post them here.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #10

Some more feedback on this issue. I picked up the coach yesterday after the fuel line and bracket replacement and all seems to be fine. Cummins NW steam cleaned my engine so we could spot new fuel leaks if they occur.

Apparently this started out with transit buses with the ISL 400 who get a lot of engine time, and has only recently cropped up in RVs. Cummins NW said it was the first they have seen. Also, the campaign is only like a week or two old.

I asked for serial numbers but the service people couldn't get a list of serial numbers; their database only allows them to input a serial number and it will tell them if it's part of the campaign.

In talking with WRV today, they said they were just notified today by Cummins of the campaign and when they finished their research they would provide the list of coaches that may fall under it to Cummins for notification to owners. Apparently I am the only Alpine owner thus far to have an issue with this.

So, those of you who may fall under this campaign should get notified by Cummins, as I understand it, if your coach needs this fuel line bracket. And if you get notified, I would recommend you replace it at your earliest convenience because of the rate at which it progresses once it starts leaking.

Again, this appears to be a Cummins issue, not a WRV issue, and I feel like WRV is doing everything it can to help get this matter through Cummins for resolution.