Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Direct TV Receivers

Should I assume, since I have two Direct TV recievers, one is for the bedroom TV? Or is one for the King Dome and one for an optional dish?

I'm a bit confused....
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Each TV requires its own receiver for independent viewing, or shared
TV's from one receiver will have to watch the same channel.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Langord
The Direct TV receiver in the curbside front cabinet is for the living room TV. The receiver above the driver is for our bedroom tv. Each tv has its own receiver in our 2006 Alpine.
2006 Alpine MDTS #75546
FMCA/ACA/SoCAL/NoWACA
Langord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Makes sense. As always, thanks for the insight.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
In my coach, the driver side DirecTV receiver broadcasts over RF channel 3 to the AV push-button control center in the curbside cabinet. I can select to route that signal to any or all TV's - each TV tuning in on channel 3. The DirecTV receiver on the curbside is an HD model, that routes direct to the front TV ONLY.

Since I am a cheapskate, I only subscribe one receiver and have no interest in paying more for HD. As a result, we only use the driver-side receiver, with the reality that we can only watch one satellite channel at a time. Of course, if you are in range of TV towers, you can still watch over the air TV on one set, while tuning in DirecTV on the other.

A true video/audiophile purist could accurately protest that my method reduces the digital picture clarity by viewing through an RF modulator, as opposed to the direct RGB or DVI connection afforded on the HD receiver. I would counter stating that we are "roughing it" in our coaches, and I can certainly accept a less than perfect HD TV experience on the road.
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #6

I use the RF modulator for the smaller rear TV, but I would at least connect the front TV using the S-video feed from the receiver, even if the receiver isn't HD. It won't affect using the RF modulator elsewhere at the same time. It made a HUGE difference in picture quality on the 37" plasma used on earlier coaches. The S-video cable is cheap.

If you have a dome style dish on the roof, you can't get Directv HD anyway.

I rough it by only having one tuner available on my DVR!! (For another week or so.)
Old 11-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #7

Jim & Sandy

We have an 05/34' and on the dash we have 3 buttons that are for the rear TV only.. One is for air TV, 1 for satellite and 1 is for cable. I do not know if your setup is the same. Have fun with the clickers. I believe I now have 8. I suggest you do not point the rear TV clicker at the front area as you may turn the front TV off if on satellite.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We have an 07 Monaco Knight with a receiver in the front which will record up to two channels. We also have a feed to the rear TV that has its own receiver and will record one channel. We use a Tracvision R5 in-motion sat. Each reciever is set up (access card) to its corresponding TV.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #9

Ted,

Some of the satellite receivers used by WRV have a RF remote capability in addition to IR, and might operate the other receiver even if not pointed at it. Some people in our Alpine Coach group have found they can operate receivers in other coaches parked next door! So if your channel changes at odd times at an ACA rally....

In the case of the Directv DVR's, you can change the remote programming so that you can have two DVR's in the same room and operate them independently. I am not sure if the same is true with their non-DVR receivers. If you really have a problem turning off the front TV with the back remote, you might look into that.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #10

Who watches TV at ACA rallies anyway?