Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2006, 05:48 PM   #1

I have the new DirectDVR R-15 unit made by Hughs for DirecTV. I have found a software issue with this product and was wondering if anyone else is having the same trouble.
If you have a manual dish and try and use the setup menu in the R-15 to acquire a satellite the signal strength meter is inoperable. I have to place a satellite finder between the receiver and the LNB and manually acquire the signal. I then have remove the sat finder and reboot the receiver and let is sit until it locks on the signal.

I have called DirecTV repeatedly and they say it is not a known issue. They have escalated it on my behalf but with just my one complaint it will a cold day until I see a fix. How about you TIVO users out there, are you having any issues? I thought I might search for a TIVO if they are trouble free.

Danny

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2006, 05:48 PM   #2

I have the new DirectDVR R-15 unit made by Hughs for DirecTV. I have found a software issue with this product and was wondering if anyone else is having the same trouble.
If you have a manual dish and try and use the setup menu in the R-15 to acquire a satellite the signal strength meter is inoperable. I have to place a satellite finder between the receiver and the LNB and manually acquire the signal. I then have remove the sat finder and reboot the receiver and let is sit until it locks on the signal.

I have called DirecTV repeatedly and they say it is not a known issue. They have escalated it on my behalf but with just my one complaint it will a cold day until I see a fix. How about you TIVO users out there, are you having any issues? I thought I might search for a TIVO if they are trouble free.

Danny

Old 07-09-2006, 06:20 PM   #3

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
I'm having the same problem, but I thought it was because of my, so far, 2 faulty DVR-15's. I got my first one less than a month ago, and it overheated several times. The fan wasn't operating.

Got my second one about 12 days ago as a replacement, and it won't pause, record, or do a replay. It's nothing more than a pretty receiver.

I'm now waiting for my 3rd one, and they promise me this one will be a new, not rebuilt unit. It should be here, oh, who knows. Mon, Tues, Wed, but I'm leaving here on Thursday, so if it's not here, I guess I'll have to drive back and pick the **** thing up.

As to TIVO, I had the last one for close to 3 years without a glitch, and then the HD crapped out on me. I wish now I'd just got the software and a new HD and fixed the TIVO, which is what I'll do if I have any problem at all with the next DVR-15.

Anyway, I'll test the new one when I get it installed, and post back. As far as I'm concerned right now the DVR-15's are a POS.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:50 PM   #4

Danny,

I have the Tivo R10 unit in my coach, and have had no trouble with it at all. Except for a few campsites with trees, I have no trouble locking onto the satellite. (I have the 9702 Kingdome.) But as I think I have said before elsewhere on this forum, I don't have the HD version. I also have a R10 unit at home and love it. Unless forced to do otherwise by DirecTV, I will stick with Tivo.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:54 AM   #5

Bob,

If you decided to repair the Tivo, you might want to check out http://www.weaknees.com. They sell hard drives with the Tivo software already installed on it, ready to plug in. They also have replacement fans. They also have Twinbreeze fans that will suppliment the cooling if that is a problem.

The Tivo Community website has some postings about what hard drives work well and which don't, if you decide to buy your own hard drive. I used a Maxtor in my old standalone Series I Tivo, and it died after about 2 weeks. The Seagate HD was still going when it was retired in favor of the DirecTV version. If the Tivo HD was working, the website gives instructions on how to copy the software to a new drive. But since yours died, that is out.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php?
Old 07-11-2006, 03:41 PM   #6

I just talked to a guy in Yuma who seems to know a great deal about the R-15. He knew of the problem and suggested a couple of fixes. None worked.

What I really need is an auto dish. Love to have an in motion dome but can't stand the price!

Old 07-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #7

Still having trouble with the R-15. I'm on my third one and it is freezing up regularly. I'm beginning to agree Bob, it is junk! DirecTv has offered to exchange it for a Tivo.

I hearing mixed reports on the need for a land line. Is anyone using the Tivo long term in an RV with out the phone connection?

Danny

Old 07-22-2006, 08:03 PM   #8

Danny my TIVO has not called in for 623 days. Works just fine it gets its programming from the satellite. It does give me a message to make a call about once a week but I just ignore it.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:52 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Danny Gayhart:
Still having trouble with the R-15. I'm on my third one and it is freezing up regularly. I'm beginning to agree Bob, it is junk! DirecTv has offered to exchange it for a Tivo.

I hearing mixed reports on the need for a land line. Is anyone using the Tivo long term in an RV with out the phone connection?

Danny </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, here's the end result. I said I would report back, and CRS took over.

I got my second DVR-15, and it lasted 2 days. The fan quit working, it would not record, would not pause, or do any of the functions expected of a DVR. The signal meters on the DVR-15 will not work, until you are locked onto the satellite. That means you must have a meter, and must be able to make sure you're on the right sat. You can then restart the receiver, or leave it sit for several minutes, and when the TV comes on, go to the signal meter screen, and tweak the strength. It's a pain. When I called DTV and talked about this issue, the tech rep said "That's the way it works. It's not TIVO, it's our own DVR."

I called DTV, and they agreed to send me a new receiver, and when it got here, it was a TIVO R-10. This one works. The signal meters work. It does what a DVR is supposed to do. The problem was that it would not record programs until it made its first phone call. I got that solved with the help of a neighbor in an RV park who had a seasonal site, with a land line. 150 feet of phone line, and 3 minutes later, all worked well.

Don't get a DVR-15, unless you hate yourself, or are trying to punish yourself for unknown wrongs.

As the the regular phone call. It wants to make it, and will start to bug you. Just erase the messages every few days. On my old TIVO, I had gone about 7 months without a phone call, but the TIVO will still work, so, yes, I've used TIVO long term in the RV without a phone line.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:55 AM   #10

Danny,

I agree with Bob. I have a Tivo R10 and love it. But now that Bob reminds me, I did connect mine to a land line in the house prior to installing it in the coach. I don't remember if it was necessary or if I just did since I had the line available. However, once it made that initial call, it does not need to be connected to a land line. It does give a daily reminder note to make a call, but it is easily deleted and can be ignored.

I recently bought a portable satellite dish for the aux to go with the Kingdome automatic dish on the roof, and set it up last weekend using the signal meters on the Tivo. It works as advertised.

My advice is to take the Tivo offer! I bought my R10 for $75 and got a $100 rebate from Directv.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:35 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Most of the issues raised above are addressed at this LINK , such as land line phone connections, who makes which unit, and the advantages/disadvatages of each. Unfortunately, it does not directly address Danny's original problem with connecting to the satellite. I would suspect the problem is more with the antenna connection than with the R-15 but figuring that out is like trying to diagnosis a poor running car over the phone-- my least favorite kind of phone call when I was in the auto repair business.

Norm
Old 07-23-2006, 07:28 PM   #12

R-10 is on the way. I'll have to find a land line for the first call.

Danny

Old 07-23-2006, 07:44 PM   #13

Danny, you'll be happy with the R-10. You'll have to make that first call to record, but until then, it will operate fine as a receiver.

Like I said, I found a guy in an RV park outside of Gunnison, CO. He was a seasonal renter, and had a phone line installed. It took 150 feet of phone line, but we got er done.

You might have to pull your rig up by the office of an RV park, and run a phone line to the internet phone connection. Lots of ways to do it, but just for grins, let us know how you solve the problem.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:54 AM   #14

DirecTV renegged and sent me a R15-300. Don't have much faith it will work for long.

Danny