Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #1

Disabling Daylight Running Lights

Has anyone found a way to disable the daylight running lights and just run them manually when you want them on? I have a tech here installing LED low beam lights and we need to find out how to disable the always on feature of the low beams when the motor home is in gear. We have not found a separate wire we can trace, but suspect that possibly the Vansco unit might be controlling this? Anyone done this? Or have any information as to how the DRL are controlled? I have a 2008 low roof MDTS

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 01:43 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Often the daytime lights are powered by a relay that's energized when the ignition is on. You'll have to trace that circuit, perhaps from the low beams back, to locate the relay or powered terminal. In an auto, it's often powered through the parking brake. In my autos putting the parking brake on turns off the running lights.

Perhaps if you indicate chassis and engine more help can be given.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:44 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And there may be a fuse as well..

DRL's are a safety feature.. Eventually, they will be mandatory. (So far I do not believe they are but.. My RV has 'em since it's based on GM technology and GM was the first (in the USA) to adopt DRL's on everything)
Old 11-29-2015, 05:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Our coach has a feature that turns on the daytime running lights anytime the windshield wiper is turned on. Apparently many states require this - at least that is what the manual says.

Having them on manual may be a problem if it is mandatory.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Okay, so this may be an unpopular opinion, but why not just leave 'em on? I know firsthand how scary it is to try to panic stop a 14K lb motorhome. Other drivers do some crazy s-tuff. Anything I can easily do to be seen, I'm gonna do. Our rig doesn't have DRL's so I turn on the headlights - always.

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Marvin, you need to be careful, the responses you have received thus far, while good intentioned, are from owners of some other brand,and are just guessing how an Alpine works. ALWAYS check to see what brand of coach the respondent has and if it is not an Alpine, or has owned one in the past, take the response with a grain of salt. Alpines are unique, WRV did things in their own way. As you suspect, our headlights are controlled by the Vansco unit via the PDU in the front of the coach, behind the panel in front of the passenger seat, not by a relay or on a separate fuse. Another Alpine owner may be able to tell you how to disable the DRL's but you will have to do that in the Vansco programming and even if you could, that is not something you want to do. One rule of owning an Alpine, when having sporadic problems reboot (throw the battery disconnect in the battery compartment for a few seconds, then power back on) the Vansco. The program is stored in each of the Vansco's and if one of the units looses it's program it can be reload by the other one via the data bus so you will have to change the programming in both units and you will have to do a hard change so they can reboot properly if you loose, or shut off, power.

I hope one of the other Alpine owners will chime in on their feelings regarding changing the Vansco programming. I would not change the programming and put up with the DRL's.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:52 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Dave has it right. The Vansco is programmed to send a lower voltage for daytime running lights. I avoided this problem replacing my yellow and scratched lights with an older BMW5 version that had the "halo" lights I wanted but also used incandescent and halogen bulbs. A bit of fancy circuitry would be required to sense the lower voltage and turn them off or on as you desire, but be careful it might not be totally safe is some sort of glitch turns off your headlights unexpectedly. Reprogramming the Vansco would be the best way to go......and if you find out how to or who can do it let us all know; many including myself have some "pet" reprogramming we would love to do.
Good luck.
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:00 PM   #8

I am very interested in why the DRLs need to be turned off. Visibility is a big chunk of safety on the road. I'm glad they are on.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:03 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I am very interested in why the DRLs need to be turned off. Visibility is a big chunk of safety on the road. I'm glad they are on.
I wondered the same thing, the only clue is that he's having LED headlights installed, maybe they don't work at the daytime dimming voltage?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #10

Disabling Daylight Running Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I wondered the same thing, the only clue is that he's having LED headlights installed, maybe they don't work at the daytime dimming voltage?

If LED, the issue can't be power consumption!
I know a fellow that disabled his DRLs cuz he didn't want to wake folks when he arrived at O-Dark-30. I asked him how he shuts up his Cummins at that time. No answer.
He Wal-Docks now.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen several folks yammer about diabling DRL's for assorted reasons.. I have read deabte on these things since.. Well the turn of the century or before.

My position is such that a car I had WITHOUT DRL's.. I added them.. SO you know my position.

I have seen approaching traffic and I spotted the care with DRL's before I spotted one without even though the one without was closer.. MANY TIMES.. I believe in DRL's.

But Since the O/P is converting to LED lighting, it is possible the DRL system will SNAFU when used with LED lights so I understand the need for disabling if that happens.

The only reason i have not told him how (Relay find coil lead splice in switch or Fuse, replace with a "Fuse/switch" device) is that others beat me to it.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #12

Hi, We have finished the LED upgrade and they work wonderfully without blinding anyone and we can see to drive. We used the relays as well. My concern about the DRL was apparently unfounded as I was worried about the reduced voltage through the Vansco unit for running the DRL and the circuitry in the LED conversion takes that into account and the DRL do run at full power now which is not a problem, but may reduce bulb life somewhat (a trade off I can live with) Just thiught I would update the forum as requested.

Tags
light, lights