Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
Well, after all the posts a few weeks ago on my Hydro Hot dying - and getting fixed, I figure it's time to address the ext warranty issue I also faced. Last summer I purchased an extended warranty from WarrantyExperts.com (San Antonio). The warranty was with a Florida outfit, Phoenix. When it came time to get their approval for the HH problem, they didn't know anything about me. Went back and forth for a few days with Phoenix, and WarrantyExperts.com. He said they had submitted the papers/money last summer, and would fax them again - no problem with the claim - when they found my paperwork, they would backdate the policy, he said. A day later was informed by WE that Phoenix would not accept my application. But he would put the policy with another company that day. Of course, the new company wouldn't pay a claim with no prior approval and an invoice date the day before the application date.

Current status: I've demanded my premium back to no avail at this point, and turned it over to a local attorney to see if he can get the premium back. If I get that back, then I'll just consider the HH repairs as being self-insured for the past year - just to done with this outfit.

So word to the wise - after placing an extended warranty, after a month or so, check with the company and see if they have you in the system.

P.S. Have folks had good experiences with Good Sam's CSP?

David Horn, TX; 2014 40ft Phaeton QTH; 2014 Mazda CX5; 2013 Can-AM Spyder RT-S on TandemTow trailer; Traveling with Ringo (an English Cocker)
dshogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:33 AM   #2

We had a similar experience, our insurance carry never heard of us when we made a claim. We did get the $5000 back we paid for the policy. I am self insured now, it appears the practice of pocketing the money at the dealership is more common than we know.

Wayne & Kathy
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
Hi dshogman, welcome to the warranty abyss. We had the same problem with Warranty experts. Bottom line, no extended warrant on this coach.
Kent and Sharon Perrin

Kent and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Greetings from Quartzsite,

This thread reinforces my feelings about extended warranties. RIPOFF!!!!!! I have purchased them for many thousands of dollars for my first 3 coaches. Every time I had a claim, I had to fight tooth and toenail to get anything out of them IF EVER. When I sold the 2003, I returned the unused portion of the policy to the company to have it come back as no longer at that that address, probably some storefront.

I now self insure and feel I am far ahead.
Basil & Sue Shannon
Former Apex owner (Gary & Renee have it now)
Was Traveling Circus (2 clowns/Sage the Wonder Dog) Tent rotted. Circus folded.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
ACC is also a rip-off. Don't consider it. Do a find it search for "extended warranty". Don't think you will find many positive comments.
Lyle & Cathy Fuller
06 Apex 40FDQS
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
My experience with the extended warranty is the opposite. I have made three claims for a sum of $1500. They have refused to honor only one minor issue. I would suggest that if you are thinking of getting one of these that you ask them to provide the names of at least three people who have it, so you can contact them to find out if they honor their contract. This still leaves the question of whether you should buy one in the first place.
2004 CRV
Brake Buddy Blue Ox Aventa II
Ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #7
We have had an extended warranty since 2004 and have NEVER had any difficulty using it. In fact, vendors always comment on what a great company they are. US Warranty Corporation, 800-233-9878. Website is www.uswceagle.com. I would recommend them to anyone.
:-) Kathy Nicholsen
Kathy Nicholsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
Alpine Owners Club

Though I am usually a self-insure kinda guy, the huge potential for expensive problems on a used DP convinced me to try Good Sam's CSP. I paid $1054 for the first year (same price for the next two years, too).

I've had one claim for the extensive electrical damage I suffered (Surge Guard, Xantrex, awning control) and CSP was quick to approve the repairs. I haven't finalized the bill yet, but so far, the noises sound right. If the tone changes, you all will be the first to hear!
2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:10 AM   #9
Debugging 3yrs+++; Two events are ongoing at this time both being reviewed by Good Sam's "CSP" (so I will comment later on success or not). Two days ago my Hydro-hot diesle failed. Last September the electric failed, thinking it was just a heating element I did not call CSP. Three visits by a certified HH mech at a cost of $1000+; CSP would not cover any cost because repairs were started before pre approval (fair). I called CSP yesterday morning to start a claim, then when the mech. showed up and diagnosed 3 failures we tried for 2 hours to get approval. Your call is very.... he left and is coming back today, hopefully we can reach CSP today. By the way three days of temps to 33 degrees and rain,priceless.

Second you may recall a posting about my Turbo "Charge air cooler" crack. WRV took 5 weeks before I called to find out they would not cover it (they forgot to call me back). CSP was then contacted, after 3 weeks of no contact
with "Coach Care" I called. They CSP, asked for the unit to be taken out for inspection, consideration and then order parts (3 weeks to get??)> Potentially this would be 4 to 5 weeks out of the coach before completetion. Five weeks for a full timer w two dogs is unacceptable, the hoop is too small to jump through so we continue to try to find a solution.

On a positive note all of our throw pillows have performed flawlessly.
skyguy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:12 AM   #10
We had the Good Sam CSP when we had our 2003 Alpine and we had 1 or 2 claims. I don't remember all the details but apparently we followed all their requirements as they paid the claims. Harold
2006 - 36MD Alpine

Being pushed by a 2006
C&H from NorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #11
According to my attorney, they will be refunding my premium by month end. Apparently, Phoenix cancelled all their policies with WarrantyExperts.com without notifying them or me.

Who am I to say otherwise??
David Horn, TX; 2014 40ft Phaeton QTH; 2014 Mazda CX5; 2013 Can-AM Spyder RT-S on TandemTow trailer; Traveling with Ringo (an English Cocker)
Old 02-01-2008, 06:51 AM   #12
Just one more bit of follow-up: looks like WarrantyExperts is handling this to my satisfaction. Apparently, it was all the fault with Phoenix in Florida and nothing on their part. So I'm cool with them.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:26 AM   #13
Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
keep us all informed. Hope things work out.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:18 AM   #14
I just had an occasion to use my extended warranty on my propane Suburban heater. I almost forgot about the ext. warranty. The heater's electronic board went bad as well as a chafed wire. The dealer submitted it to the insurance co. with out a hitch. The bill was $ 654.00. The company is XTride Ext Service contracts by Protective asset Protective Div. I had never used the dealer previously and they have no connection with WRV. I have $ 100.00 deductible and the dealer said everything went off perfectly. I paid the dealer $ 100.00 and ins. picked up the balance. Dealer had never used this insurance before. I paid $ 2574.00 in 03/05. for a complete 5 year extended warranty.

Ted & Carol Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34', 34FDDS
2006 PT Turbo pusher
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote