Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #15
I have DirectTV at home and whenever I want it turned on in the RV I just call them and have it turned on. It is $5/mo. for the extra receiver in the RV (it is not HD) and can be turned on and off at any time. It is billed at a daily rate. No problems with coverage in different locations.

'01 Alpine 36 FDDS
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
With that being said, I actually went another route with DISH, and am only paying about $50 per month for '120 channel' package. I called DISH several months ago to set up service on my 2014 Palazzo 33.3, which has no roof satellite antenna. I requested a standard 'HD' dish, with a mobile tripod setup, and three tv receivers.
DISH's independent contractor was there within 2 days, set up all 3 tvs and receivers, and set up the dish and tripod. All equipment at NO COST, and only a nominal $50 setup fee.
I'm able to store my dish/tripod/cables within my main storage bay.
My only time consuming part of the job is, of course, zoning in the dish to the correct direction and angles, though you get the hang of this the more often you do it.
MisterT, are you a full timer?? I'm curious because this is kind of the route that we tried to go with Dish recently. We are full timers, but we still own property with a 50x60 pole barn and another outbuilding. When we are home, we just back under the roof and have our full hookups. We have a roof top satellite antenna and just wanted an antenna mounted here at the property and a receiver and to sign a two-year agreement. After going through all the rigamarole for credit checks, etc., and having explained exactly what I wanted over and over, and that we OWN this property, and have for over 15 years; he gets to the point where he's reading the small print for me to agree to and he says "wait". After checking once more with his supervisor, they said that they couldn't do it because we live in our RV, that we must use the pay as you go plan. So after 45 minutes of my life that I can't get back, we ended up with Directv. Oh, and FYI, the reason for the additional satellite dish in addition to our roof-mounted, the roof-mounted does not work under a metal roof.

Tracy, Byron, & Tori (16 yo Australian Terrier that runs the household)
Full time in our 2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K, 2014 Dodge 1500 trailering 2007 VStrom 650, 2012 FJR1300, 2009 DR400, and 2015 XT250 (love our toys!!)
thanks8990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #17
I sold my house and put the Directv standard def. box in the RV, with a tripod dish. I kept the Toms River NJ address, because when I moved the service to my daughters house in PA, I lost the networks, once I left her area.

With the tristate address, I get NY City networks, up and down the coast to the Keys, so far.

I pay $5.00 extra for a TrackVision box on the boat.

It`s all good.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #18
I've had a Dish Tailgater for about a year. Since we only need it when traveling, it's nice that you can turn the service off when not using it. They game you a bit by making you sign up for automatic payment in order to get local channels. If you get lazy and forget to shut the service off you get hit with an extra months charges. The other annoying thing is you have to call to suspend the service, can't do it from the account webpage. I called this morning to speak with a rep and the wait time was almost 10 minutes. When I called a month ago it was over 20 minutes. Turns out last month the long wait times were because they were in a contract dispute with Fox News and had dropped that channel from their lineup. This pissed off a very vocal segment of their customer base

I had one of their premium packages with gobs of channels. Amazing I never found much I was interested in watching. If it were just me I probably wouldn't bother

One other thing, I like the Tailgater. I've read lots of complaints about them but mine works fine. Assuming you can find a clear patch of sky for the antenna to find a satillite
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:27 AM   #19
Happy Traveler : )

Yes, we are new full timers, since June 14, in a 2014 Palazzo 33.3 DP with blueOx and 2014 Ford Fiesta in tow...
I personally had never used satellite since our 'home' had always used cable. We found that every park we visited did not necessarily have cable, or sometimes even any antenna channels to view - so I did some research on DISH since CampingWorld has their RV 'pay as you go' brochures.
I really didn't want to pay the high price for the offerings at CW, since most of these units either only allow 1 or 2 outputs to tvs, or they are more expense than I wanted to invest. So I went to DISH's website and found that they will install service without much upfront expense, and the equipment is basically 'free', with a one or two year service contract.
We just provided the address location to where we were at the time, Clearwater,FL and they came and made the install. They knew we were in an RV motor coach, and they even brought the tripod with the idea that we would be using it as we moved to different locations.
MisterT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #20
Fleetwood Owners Club
Guess I talked to the wrong person, should have called back and spoke with someone else at Dish. They said they couldn't let me do a two year contract and they couldn't provide the equipment because there was no home. Directv didn't blink an eye and fixed me up the next day.
Tracy, Byron, & Tori (16 yo Australian Terrier that runs the household)
Full time in our 2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K, 2014 Dodge 1500 trailering 2007 VStrom 650, 2012 FJR1300, 2009 DR400, and 2015 XT250 (love our toys!!)
thanks8990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:59 AM   #21
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by kraig View Post
Thanks for all your replies.
Before you buy a new dish, I believe that there are dip switches on the dish that you can set depending on your service provider, (dish or direct TV) you may want to look at that first. The switches may not be on an older model dish though

Charlie & Diane Amato
2014 Thor Tuscany 40XE XTE DP
Ferndale, Arkansas
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote