Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
Dishwasher Stopping in Mid-Cycle

For those who have the Fisher-Paykel dishwasher, have any of you had trouble with the dishwasher stopping after it's washed and rinsed but before it finishes pumping the water out of the drawer, and if so, what did you do to fix it? Ours has worked very reliably but lately it's started this stopping process. It then gives a blinking green light on the middle light, and when pressed to start again, the drawer lock closes, then unlocks and it does nothing, except give the blinking light and an intermittent beep. The owner's manual doesn't say what to do except disconnect all power and wait a minute or so before restarting. I've tried that and every other recommended fix in the manual, and the power trick fixed it the first time, but not anymore. If I mess with it long enough by turning the power off and on I can get it to empty the water and try to start another cycle, which I stop and remove the dishes.

Just testing the field to see if others have had the same problem or if I need to call a Fisher-Paykel dishwasher repairman.

Former Owner, 2006 36MDDS
2010 Arctic Fox 22GK Travel Trailer
2007 Toyota Tundra
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
Alpine Owners Club
OF - we have the same issues at least half of the time. We just restart the thing and let it go through the cycle again. I don't know of any fix. You might try a reset of the power to the Xrantrex, as if it's brain is scrambled, then things which should work don't. I don't know why that is, but it fixed several of my gremlins which troubled me last time, and FWIW, we ran the dishwasher the other day, after the Xrantrex had been reset a few months ago, and it washed perfectly fine and did not stop. I don't like the thing much, and wish they had never installed it, the DW does and is getting used to it. Not much help, but at least some sympathy here.

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
When my dishwasher quits in mid cycle I just give her a hug and promise to take her out to dinner soon.
05 Alpine 36MDDS, 09 Subaru Forester, no animals.
two sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
After trying everything I could think of to fix this problem, I learned that I could get it to stay in cycle if I kept pressure on the front of the dish drawer, which led me to believe the dishwasher was getting some signal saying the drawer wasn't locked and stopping in the cycle. I couldn't find where that signal came from so I called Fisher & Paykel and they sent a factory rep to our coach to solve the problem. Took him about 10 minutes plus 30 minutes for a full system test and checking everything else out.

There's a light beam that comes off a prism and reflects into the drawer and back out through two glass-like rods about 1/4" in diamter and about 1" long in the upper right front corner (on the side) of the dish drawer when viewed from the front. This light beam tells the dish drawer it's locked, and if the beam is broken, it isn't locked and it stops the cycle, which is what was happening to us. The reason the beam was broken was that I had removed the front of the drawer about a year ago when it locked and I couldn't get it open, and one of these light rods fell out of position. Actually fell out of the washer. The technician replaced the light rod, sent the dishwasher through a special 8 minute test cycle and it worked fine. I subesequently tested it by running it through the "heavy" cycle.

I learned a lot about these dishwashers and that they are very sophisticated; they have a chip that records all kinds of data including how many times they've been opened, how many cycles of each kind they've had, etc. And they're also very reliable.

The whole visit by the techinican, test, parts and all only cost about $100 plus tax which I thought was very reasonable.

So if any of you are having troubles with the dishwasher, call F & P and have them send out their factory technician; I learned a lot from him about how programmable these devices are; much more than is shown in the manual. For example, you can program it for the level of rinse agent you want to use and whether you want it to beep and power up every time you open the drawer.

The final thing the technician said is don't use liquid soap (we've always used dry Cascade powdered detergent which he said is best), only fill the soap reservoir about 1/2 full, only use both sides of the soap holder when on heavy wash, and don't rinse your dishes before you put them in the dishwasher. Just scrape off the heavy food particles and put them in so the soap gets a good chance to neutralize dirty particles and grease - it works better.

Also the washer uses 4.8 gallons of water on the "heavy" wash cycle, 4.0 gallons on "normal" cycle, and 2.8 gallons on "fast" cycle.

Probably more than you wanted to know about this issue and this dishwasher but I learned some new things and wouldn't hesitate to have F&P send a tech to the coach again if I have another problem with it. The co-pilot and I love the dishwasher and really missed it when it wasn't working right.
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 11-14-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
Got a tip from someone on another forum who said to use your knee to press in firmly on the door while you turn it on. Keep the pressure on until you hear the top seat itself. This took care of the identical problem we had.
Dennis Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
We had a similar problem a while back with the F&P DW in our Newmar. We called and had a Fisher & Paykel service technician come out. He found that there was a screw that had worked its way out a bit and was causing the door to not close properly. He also re-aligned the small, optical sensor that is used to determine that the door is properly closed.

Once that was done, the dishwasher went back to working normally again. It sounds like this could be the problem others are having. If you can't see any obvious screws/obstacles that are keeping the door from closing properly, you may want to call Fisher & Paykel (or use their online service locator at Fisher & Paykel Appliances - US - Appliance service search ) to find a service technician in your area who can check to see if the optical door sensor is properly aligned.

Best of luck. We know we couldn't live without our DishDrawer!
2005 Newmar MADP
bcbounders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
bcbounders -- I'm like you; I sure missed the dishwasher during the better part of a month of deer and elk hunting when it didn't work and I was cooking for 4-5 guys. The F&P technician was worth a lot to me and wish I had called them earlier.

Dennis Henderson -- the knee on the top of the door worked for a while for me but eventually quit working because the optical alignment wasn't working. If the light beam doesn't sense the door is closed, or if the light beam gets lost because the light tube isn't it place it eventually fails.

2007 Toyota Tundra