Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #15

Fogged window repair in Hudson, FL

Algoma (John & Mary),
When you said Coastal Designers, did you mean Suncoast Designers? Or are you speaking of some other place? If Suncoast, we live less than 2 miles from them, pass them daily and they always have a half dozen or more coaches in there.
If you're coming this way, send an email a few days ahead and maybe we can meet up, do lunch or coffee. Would invite you over for lunch, but our house is 13 steps up and not wc accessable, sadly. lam_34669@yahoo.com
We spend summers in Pipestem,WV for the cool weather!

Lois (& John) Miller
02 Alpine 38FDDS

P.S. Same invite to any others in the area, when we're around.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #16

Does storing the coach indoors or under a cover except when being used help prolong the fogging up of the windows?

I reading an interesting thread where a person had fogged windows in his house. Since he was going to replace the windows anyways he played with them to see what made the fog go away. Turns out drilling a 1/8" hole at the bottom and top to allow air to circulate eliminated the fog. He mounted a one-way vapor vent on the top and another vent on the bottom to keep the bugs out. His house windows were not tempered so he drilled the holes in the glass. Assuming all motorhome glass is tempered the holes would need to be on the edge through the seal.

Here is the link to his experiments. His name is d.a.n.
"Defogging" Double-pane Windows .... A Gimmick?? - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #17

From my experience I did have my 2000 for 10 years and never had window seal problem and I did store it inside, but I don't think that made the difference. Maybe the brand of the windows made a difference. WRV did use HEHR windows then. When I bought my 2007 new, it had SEGI windows and 4 of them had bad seals. When I asked Dave Root what may have caused them and the seal material and the poor prep cleaning where they seal the edges. He said they probably would just run them through a windows washer and may have not been clean enough. When asked him about the other windows , he said just wait till you have a problem.

As far as your idea about drilling them, I don't think it would do much good to clear the window. In my windows there was film that had to be cleaned when the window taken apart. If you don't repair them and wait, the film will etch the glass and then you have to replace the glass.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I had an Itasca with Atwood windows that had fogged. I bought new panes direct from Atwood for about $60 each and had them installed for less than $200 (I think there were 3 of them). Sure beats paying $500 for a 'repair'.

By the way, trying to get replacement windows from Winnebago was an extremely expensive alternative.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #19

Finished replacing the driver's side glass in my 03 this weekend. Using the DIY approach with glass bought locally, I managed to complete both driver and passenger [6 glass panes total--ours is MDTS] for less than $450. This is not an easy DIY project: the 3-panes of glass and frame are heavy and hard to handle (two-person job), quality control with the local glass company can be challenging, and working with the quick-cure, black auto glass sealant is really difficult. In retrospect, cleaning off the sealant and going with butyle-tape might be the better solution.

This approach is an option for the std auto glass [green-tint] windows in front but suspect it will be a problem matching new glass with the reflective windows. Will probably check out Suncoast Designs in Fla about a clean and reseal for these windows.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Has anyone just thought about new windows and frames as a unit? Since they are starting to fog up on us on the big windows PS, and I need to reseal the frames anyway, and they have to come out, it would be easier to just take it out and replace it anyway. Who makes windows for these things that will fit, are they a standard size? Or were they all special orders from SGEI? I am going to call Tiffin and see who they get theirs from and call them and see what prices I can get on at least the big one. Its 120" long.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:27 AM   #21

Monty,

I am like a lot of the rest of you and try to fix everything myself. Even if you could find one, who is going to install it? I wouldn't attempt to fix or install windows myself. I had Dave Root repair the same 10 foot window you have. He said WRV had the biggest windows and the only the one bigger was 12 footer in a Alpine. That whole window is very heavy. WRV did use butyl which very sticky to get out. They used window suction cups to lift it out it out. When they were lifting out the center window started to come out of the frame. The other thing when you install it, I would be careful about getting the frame sealed good so don't get water damage on the inside wall. Dave does give 3 year warranty. You don't live that far from me and Dave came to my house and charged me a little over $900. He is down in Arizona fixing windows now. Take pictures from the inside out and give him the dimensions and will give you a firm price. I think this be cheaper and mine looks like new. You can PM me if you have any questions. Just something to think about.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Dave is going to be at the alpine rally in quartzsite so I will talk to him while I'm there. However, there are better brands of windows out there and that was my goal, but I know it will be expensive. If I have to just about rebuild the thing, I should just trade it off and take my losses.