Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Do Not Shift light on Transmission

We were driving 2001 Alpine and the Do Not Shift light came on the transmission. We cannot get into Neutral because the transmission won't shift. HELP!! Where are the electrical fuses, etc that provide power... Where is the Allison Transmission Fuse Box? HELP ASAP Please!

David & Elaine
myrvhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
This is only a guess but perhaps if you shut off and then back to on the main chassis battery switch in the engine/battery compartment area [think the Allison is powered thru this switch]; the tranny may reset but it sounds like the tranny has suffered some sort of major internal failure. However, cycling the chassis switch is worth a try.

Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
The chassis fuse panel is located behind the kickboard in front of the passenger seat on my 2001 Alpine coach. I had the same thing happen to me earlier this month when I shifted from drive to reverse quickly trying to negotiate a 3 point turn. I was able to clear the transmission "do not shift" light by shutting off the coach and restarting and then driving in reverse.
Alpine Coach 36MDDS
50th State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #4
When I had my 2000 Alpine coach, there was a fuse for the Allison transmission in the battery compartment back wall. The Allison service manager told me motor homes were towed in and all it was blown fuse. They did not even unhook the tow truck, he just replaced the fuse. To my knowledge there was no Allison fuse box.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Well... two weeks, two tows, two repair shops and $8000 later, we have a new ECU unit in the coach. The ECU, located behind the center firewall, is the brain between the engine and the transmission! How to recover confidence in our HOME!!?? I can't make the nightmares with Good Sam Road Service a quick story, but suffice it to say that the first place they wanted to tow us was an RV upholstery repair shop; the second was the tow company shop. WE managed to figure this our for them so we could at least get to a town with some capacity for the repairs we needed. We ended up at a mom n pop rv repair shop that did many hours of searching, but was in over their head ($1200)... then a $350 tow to another shop with certified technicians and $6450 there ($4800 on the newly programed ECU)... and we are on the road again. (sigh) Thanks to our daughter for a place to hang our hats while all of this transpired...
David & Elaine
Old 08-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
Alpine Owners Club
Coach Net Road service is the best period. You can also do an internet search for the closest Allison dealer in your area, they also are in Detroit Diesel Shops, and any Cummins repair facility is also certified Allison dealer. You did not say that GS paid or did anything or I missed it. Home Page - Coach-Net.com

Coach net also knows the repair shops for MH's because that is all they do, towing and road service. They cost more than GS, but are way better hands down, in my opinion. Your insurance company also might have a towing provision you may not know about, so you can, try to file a claim with them for the 350 at least check with your agent or look over your policy, and see if you get it back. Mine has it, and it covered two tows when we got hit.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
Alpine Owners Club
Glad you got things fixed. $$$ Ouch!
In Prince George for two nights. Will be in touch soon.
'99 Alpine Coach
Jeff and Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #8

Don't you hate to spend that kind of money on an older coach. It costs me about the same last year to replace my generator; now I have to go and buy new tires!
John and Mary Knight
2015 Ventana 4311, 2015 Cadillac SRX
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Hello again... to answer some of the questions you asked:
Yes... GS did cover the cost of the first towing... but it became quite obvious that they were looking for the shortest distance possible... not the places that could really "repair" our coach. They must only have seen the words "repair" for the RV Upholstery shop; and the towing company wanted a shot at the repair for the $$ involved, even though it would have taken us 25 miles further from a repair shop capable of doing this job. But, GS didn't seem to care about that... they just wanted to tow us the least distance possible and then be DONE with us. And whenever they promised us a call back by 8 am... and a tow by 9 am... I finally had to call them at 9:30 and say..."hello... have heard nothing from anyone yet about the calls we were promised last evening!" At that point, they weren't even taking any further action! After calling the places they were proposing to take us, I actually had to inform them that an "upholstery shop" wasn't going to fit the bill. After having a local mechanic come take a look at our problems, I also had to inform them that being hauled an additional 25 miles in the opposite direction so a "towing" shop could take a run at us wasn't going to solve our problems either! When the third person two days later at GS got snotty and started informing me that THIS was the best they could do, I finally had to ask for a manager and got put on permanent hold without warning! And...no call back! The fourth person there was a woman who sounded half way helpful and when I explained everything that had transpired to her... finally we got towed to Idaho Falls instead of Island Park or St. Anthony.
I will definitely be looking into Coach-Net.com. After 6 years of paying GS dues, we will about break even on the towing... and may take your advise on trying to get the additional $350 paid one way or another. It was a real learning experience and seems that double checking the dotting I's and crossing T's is best left to the consumer in in most situations these days!

We had just put $2450 into new tires the week before... and had picked up our Jeep after $5000 in repairs two days before this trip! This has been an expensive summer all the way around! But, we have still managed to enjoy our outings with the kids and gotten to have some great fun!

David & Elaine