Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #1

Docking Sequence

DW and I are picking up our MH this weekend. We are virgin RVers and as I was lying awake last night I realized I could only guess what the first things one does when docking at a new site. So I thought I'd post here just in case there are Alpine-specific things that you do when arriving at a new campsite.

So when you first arrive at at the site, what is the usual and customary sequence of tasks that you do to set up?
cruzian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Park, Awning up, chairs out pour drinks -10 minutes tops LOL
Daytrippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig.

I can't help with any Alpine specific issues but with my Winnie, the order in which I do set up items isn't very critical. The one exception concerns extending the slides... which Winnie says to do after leveling and with the engine running to provide the strongest possible battery strength.

Everything else gets done in no particular order.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Park
Check high and low for slide clearance
Dump air bags
Plug in, water electricity sewer (gives a little time for the air bags)
Level
Slides
Beer, you can do this step second if wou wish
Still ten minutes
Erlingiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
May be trivial but after pulling or backing in make sure your lower compartment doors are free and clear to open. Nothing worse then pulling in, letting down the jacks, open the slide only to find out when you go to open a outer compartment to get at your electrical cord or to hook up the plumbing, it's obstructed by a electrical pedestal or a water pedestal. Frustrating and it has happened. What appears to be enough room from looking in your mirrors can turn out to be a different story when your actually standing outside at the connections. or :(
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #6

*Park
*Hook up electric
*level
*slides out
*hook up water
*awning out
*recliner out
*Jim Beam on the rocks with a splash

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig.

I can't help with any Alpine specific issues but with my Winnie, the order in which I do set up items isn't very critical. The one exception concerns extending the slides... which Winnie says to do after leveling and with the engine running to provide the strongest possible battery strength.

Everything else gets done in no particular order.

Best of luck.

Rick
Most slides are twelve volts, so having the engine running is important.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #8

Hi, and wecome to iRV2.
Set up, as others say will be a matter of developed preferances on your part .
More important will be the setting up and POSTING of a pre-drive away check sheet; to avoid dragging power cords , water hoses and sewer through the camp ground and down the highway. A lot of RVers have the sheet on the steering wheel, so you have to see it and move it before you drive off.

Safe travels.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426
Hi, and wecome to iRV2.
Set up, as others say will be a matter of developed preferances on your part .
More important will be the setting up and POSTING of a pre-drive away check sheet; to avoid dragging power cords , water hoses and sewer through the camp ground and down the highway. A lot of RVers have the sheet on the steering wheel, so you have to see it and move it before you drive off.

Safe travels.
It will save you from driving off with your antenna up.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #10

Absolutely incorrect. Its a simple 3.5 step process:
1) Park coach so you have slide clearance as needed, front & rear ends of coach optimized to fit site (helps to have willing & knowledgeable spouse, a modicum of patience, and clear signalling procedure; occasionally parking rig has been known to produce temporary matrimonial disharmony that may linger malignantly and reduce matrimonial cooperation at future docking experiences, so care is required in communication)
2) ice in glass, pour favorite libation, clink glasses in celebratory show of mutual triumph, swill liberally
3) level coach, take a big sip, take a second sip, slides out (some say kick slides out an inch or two prior to leveling, your call), take a third sip and let it slide slowly down the back of your throat and feel the cool sensation, take a fourth slow sip, maybe take a 5th snort, extend awning, top off libation & take a big gulp, figger out whare you left the lahwn chares, pound another shot, decide if its werth it to git the chares out, sneak a biiig gulp & hope the DW is cooling down from that argoomint about kniking the piknik bench whare she obviusly screwed up the dericshuns....
3.5) take a nap under the awning
Old 06-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #11

I run the slides in and out with the engine off all of the time. The first step in the automatic leveling sequence is dumping the air bags. Running the engine fills them and keeps the coach from lowering. (And sets off the jacks down buzzer, a very annoying sound.) Starting leveling in this lowered condition lowers the highest point of the coach, making a difference in getting level on slopes. Maybe not a big deal, but every bit helps. The batteries should be fully charged after driving. If you are worried about battery condition, plug in the electric.

As others have stated, double checking clearance and location of connections is the first step in setting up. Good idea to level as early as possible in case you can't get level and need to move or use blocks. Everything else can vary. If you care about satellite reception, check that early in the sequence as well, as you might want to move forward or backwards in the space if it will help clear an obstacle.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club

Hello & Welcome to IRV2 and the Alpine Coach Forum.
We were all new to this at one time or another and we have all made our share of mistakes. I would suggest that you start a routine for parking and when leaving in the RV. Discuss with the DW about parking and distances from objects so you can open the slides and bay doors and work together to park the coach. The last time the DW helped me park the coach in the driveway she had me drive into the side of the house. Now she helps by going into the house and I haven’t hit it since.
I connect the power and water first since my Alpine is getting old and it is harder to get things out after the air is dumped and slides are opened. What can I say the Alpine is getting old it is not as young as it used to be. When we leave I go through another routine including walking around the coach for anything I forgot to place back into the bays. I cannot tell how many times I had to purchase the something a second and third time because I forgot to look at the site before we left.
I also have a routine for connecting/disconnecting the Toad so I do not forget to connect the umbilical cord or release the barking brake again etc. (I also do a walk around after the Toad is connected and every time we stop for a break)
Since you live in CA you might want to attend an Alpine Rally with Alpine NorCal, Alpine SoCal and the Alpine Coach Association is having a Rally in the San Diego area in Oct. You can ask the other Alpine Owners all the questions you want, the friendliest people around.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
As soon you pull into your spot check your tv signal Nothing worse jacks down slide out and your signal is not good!!
shortlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #14

As was mentioned; Get a check list and use it. Actually more than one. There are good check lists (that you can modify for your needs) MISU (move in set up), RDMO (rig down move out), log trips, short trips, pre-trip prep, while on trips, blah blah!
It helps to have them handy and use them every time.
When we get to the place we're going to 'camp' if it's the least bit challenging or questionable to get in we'll both get out and briefly chat about where we want to end up and what to watch for. (having multiple cameras on the 42' fifth wheel helps but nothing like a second set of eyes) She knows I'm 'ok' with her making sure I see things. Working walkie talkies make things much easier if your cameras don't have mics when using a spotter. Once we have checked clearance and are 'parked' she'll go inside and start getting things ready from her inside MIRU list and I'll start with my outside MIRU list.
When we get ready to leave, my DW has a inside RDMO check list for things to check or get ready on the inside, whileI have two (1 for 5ver and 1 for truck) outside RDMO check list for the outside. Hers includes things like to check levels (black, grey, fresh water tanks, batteries, propane, gasoline) so we know BEFORE our next stop if we need to address them.
Moving slides are a joint operation in or out with her inside and me outside watching for clearance or water run-off etc. We will 'unlevel' the 5ver to help get the water off before retracting if needed. OR climb up and shovel/brush snow off as needed before retracting slides. (YES we have had to do this! 15" of snow one night and snowing hard when we woke up. We decided to RDMO before we were stuck there for days .... It was 30 miles of <30 mph white knuckle hell! And we had 6 new studded winter tires on the H/M that trip)
We also have a list of items to add/bring for the next trip. (like when you run out of some staples) but when your first starting you could add items to help make 'camping' more enjoyable.

Lastly, you will fill up the camper storage quick so we have a rule .... If it wasn't used in a year it gets removed. We both, winter and summer camp so some things are 'seasonal' and only in the camper during that season.

And most importantly:
Welcome to IRV2 and enjoy your new toy every chance you get!