Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #1

Dometic ac/heat pump failure

On my '05 Alpine, the bedroom ac/heat pump has failed. We are on the road and have not been able to locate a replacement! We need the Dometic Penguin #651816 and a kit #3313107.107 to change out the board in the new unit so it will work with our existing 5 button thermostat. It is hotter than @**$@& at night. Any ideas? Dometic itself is two weeks backordered. This must be a popular unit. Any suggestions besides icing the sheets?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #2

That was the info I was looking for earlier. I was ready to replace my front unit. What are the symptoms? I just replaced the 2 capacitors, reversing coil and PC board in my front unit for $112. It now works like new.

The capacitors are an easy DIY project.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Wrinkles,
If you "Google" 651816 the first response says they have the unit and the control board built in. There may be more choices as you look at other responses. Google 3313107.107 and you'll see businesses selling the kit, if you need it because the other responses really do not have the board you are looking for.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Good luck! I just went thru this waited 10 days for a new unit, had it installed and 30 min later it failed. The next day spent 2 hours having my new unit reparied under warranty. I am upset with dometric products. My power awning has failed as has my air/heat pump unit in a 5 year old unit.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #5

Get a mid sized towel, wet it, wring it out. Sleep in your shorts w/the towel over you & no sheet. Learnt in in Mexico. Probably need to get up in the middle of the night & repeat the wetting/wringing. Really works neat if you have a fan to blow on you. We keep a small fan in the coach for that purpose.

I'm working on a 12V fan for this purpose, but haven't got a mounting bracket idea perfected just yet.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #6

EM, Sounds like a great idea!!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #7

Thanks for the input. I hope I have better luck with a new unit. Any thoughts about replacing with a differnt brand?
Old 07-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #8

I ordered the front unit from Camping World on 6/15/12 (good price- $848 plus cost of board and shipping ). Promised 7-10 days, now say it should ship by 7/21/12. Same model # and board as above.

Jim Durley
2004 MDTS
Old 07-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
When we replaced the front roof air on our previous coach, I found PPL parts RV Parts and Accessories for Sale - PPL Motor Homes to be the cheapest, fastest and most reliable. Ordered the ac on a Wed afternoon and had it delivered the following monday. I don't do CW.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Unless the compressor has failed, (that can be tested as well) it's most likely the start capacitor/run capacitor. A certified RV technician knows how to test these units. The parts are maybe 75 dollars, instead of a new unit, of which it may or may not work with the current electronics package in your RV. The problem with our rigs is replacing these units with new ones. They don't sometimes hook up to the existing thermostat, furnace or Hydro Hot systems, and yes the wiring for the thermostat does interface into the heating systems since the thermostat serves both. Sometimes, there are/is dip switches on the control board of the a/C unit which helps get it interfaced into the current system.
Unless you are qualified to diagnose electronic/elecrical ciccuits don't try to diagnose those capacitors yourself, you could get killed as they store quite a voltage load in them. They need to be discharged prior to testing or you will blow up the VOM doing it. Camping World is also not my 1st place to go to have work done. Ask here for recommended places to have the a/c unit looked at first.

If it's been tested and it's known it's bad, or it's more cost effective to replace it, which only you can determine based on what is wrong with yours. Does the fan run? Does the compressor start and then stutter and quit? Saying it just quit does not offer us any meaningful description on what it did/does or does not do. A non running unit can have something easy as the circuit breaker tripping it off line. Bad park voltage can burn them up so incoming voltage should be no less than 110VAC lower than that and I would not use them or run the genset.

You can go to the manfacturer's web site, and get a list of recommended replacements which should work and interface with the existing package on your coach.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hope you know the new Dometic AC are programed to shut the compressor off when the cool coil hits 70 at the output.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #12

Who told you that? NO WAY
Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #13

Old, just who are you chewing out
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:10 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
I did not chew out anyone, I was offering advise, help and if I sounded like I was I'm sorry.

Tags
dometic