Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #1

Dometic Refrigerator Failure--Update

Hi All,

Just wanted to let everyone know Dometic has left me stranded. When my repair group called Dometic to track the shipment of my replacement cooling unit, they said the order was cancelled! Upon further questioning, they said another order was opened for the unit. When the replacement unit did not arrive today, we called to assess the status. Dometic said they would check with their West Coast distribution center to see when the unit was shipped. A few minutes later, they called back and said there was a mistake and it would be shipped this Friday from the West coast center. When we asked for a confirmation of shipment document, they put us on hold. When they came back on the telephone, they admitted to another mistake--there was no replacement cooling unit on the West Coast! The new unit had to be shipped from Indiana--another delay.

This is very poor customer service and the customer service representative did not know what was going on. She provided us with false information. I am really disappointed with Dometic--my vacation has been delayed another week and who really knows when the replacement cooling unit will arrive.

sdcyclist

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I'm not too surprised. We had our 1402 cooling unit replaced last December. At that time, Dometic was cutting cooling units out of new refers at the factory to send out for warranty work. Finding service techs that would even consider doing the work was hard. After watching all the process, I can see why no one wanted to do it. Good luck.

TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #3

FYI, I checked by email into the Amish Cooling Unit mentioned in the other thread, and at this time they do not make a cooling unit for the 1402. It is in "future planning". So far the demand for it is not that high yet. But I would suggest at least calling them to help establish the demand for it.

He did tell me that the replacement on the 1402 would probably not be a DIY project, unlike some of the other units. So that may back up Terry's comment.

So you might be stuck with Dometic, such as they are.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two (well 1.2) courses of action.

First: 1.0: If you belong to any RV orgination that publishes a newsletter/magazine the odds are they have a "Member advocate" (Action line, Help line, whatever) Tell them your story and let them Kick anatomy.

Now... Options.

1.1: If this is a warranty issue let them follow through and kick anatomy.

1.2: If this is NOT a warranty issue Tell the action line what you are about to do, and then

A: Google; AMISH COOLING UNIT RV

order from the company that takes you to.

B: Tell Dometic just where they can "Ship" that non-existant cooling unit they sent you.
(I hope I don't have to tell you where) Also, Do it polietly please.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
The Dometic in my 2001 is a NDR 1492. If it is a 1492 look at E-Bay they have two new Amish replacements for sale.

Dometic NDR1492 Brand-new Cooling Units Amish Built | eBay
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
when ours was replaced this spring.....Norcold tried to put us through the "we can ship from indy today and not arrive for a week".

then our dealer asked why they couldn't procure one locally from a big rv warehouse, as they had 12 or so in stock. line went silent.
So i called and got a person to commit the procure locally and we had a new one the next morning.

if not i would have purchased it and then submitted to be refunded...and we know how that would have went.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We also had a cooling unit changed in a Dometic 1402. Our service tech said he would never do another 1402. To say it ia a very difficult task is a under statement. This is definately not a DIY project. Took tech 6 hours to install the unit. If I was in the market for another coach and it had a 1402 in it, it would be a deal breaker. Poorest design I have ever seen.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
sdcyclist, Here's one way to go if you get to the point you really need it.

- NDA1402 Dometic Double Door Refrigerator - Price: $1,995.00 - Factory RV Surplus - 1611 W Bristol St, Elkhart, IN 46514 (800) 325-1461 (574) 262-3327

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:31 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
All - Although I might be beating a dead horse, but speaking from 28 years of RV experience and as a Master RV Repair Tech, don't ever replace the RV Dometic or Atwood refrigerator in your RV with another one of those. The reasons are varied, and the number one false one I can put to bed is "if I don't have an RV type I cannot boondock anymore" hogwash.

Reason to never replace an RV Refer with another RV type of unit:

1. Fire, the number one source of fire in RV’s is engine/diesel/gasoline related, type fires, the second most common place to have a fire is the RV refer. See Mack the fire dude website to learn more about fires and what you can do about minimizing this serious safety issue.

2. Quality, both Dometic and Atwood, have announced recalls and those recalls have been expanded to include units older than 10-15 years, why, because when the economy hit bumps in the mid 90's they cheapened up the constructions practices and the walls of the cooling units are thinner, causing more failures, blockages, and generally very poor quality. So, instead of fixing the issues with a better cooling unit, they now just install the recall kit on the production line, and to heck with quality. Sounds like GM to me! They did try to build a plant in Mexico (it burned to the ground before it ever started building units), so they went back up north, and the quality went downhill even more. Economics plays a big part; they have to cut manufacturing costs to stay competitive with the RV world, because it's rocky, but the poor quality being produced now, is almost criminal.

Alternatives, if your MH has an inverter, you are already half way home, find and have installed a residential type refrigerator in your unit, ensuring it’s on the inverter side of the electrical system, so when going down the road, your house batteries keep it going. Normally 6 house batteries last 12 hours powering a household unit, without any other load and the engine alternator keeps those batteries charged while driving. If boondocking, you then can run the genset for a couple hours, or if you have a large number of solar cells you won’t have to run it as often. This is provided your batteries are in good shape and have regular maintenance (assuming lead/acid type). You will eliminate a major source of fire by doing this, your food will be colder, and stay colder on hotter days and you will gain a little cabinet work to accommodate the new unit. Plus you now have another place to plug in the grill so you can cook outside. The turn around time for replacement is a couple of days, although it might require the removal of a window to change it out. Small price to pay for something that will last and perform 100% better than the RV types.

My experience, since I have an apex model, it came with a residential type unit in it, and I would never go back to a propane model ever, it holds more food at 22 cuft, keeps it colder, get colder faster, and has ice and filtered cold water in it, if we choose to turn those items on. It’s a great unit, and I highly recommend this type of unit to you fellow RV’ers.
The bouncing down the road has had no ill effects to ours, although I won’t say folks never have trouble they do, just less in the long run I believe than a comparable RV Type. The costs of an RV type versus a residental type is the same of close to the same depending on which size/model you choose. Fridigare, Amana, Jenn Aire make units which majore RV manfacturers are using all the time in thier procducts, and it's something to consider.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
FYI, I checked by email into the Amish Cooling Unit mentioned in the other thread, and at this time they do not make a cooling unit for the 1402. It is in "future planning". So far the demand for it is not that high yet. But I would suggest at least calling them to help establish the demand for it.

He did tell me that the replacement on the 1402 would probably not be a DIY project, unlike some of the other units. So that may back up Terry's comment.

So you might be stuck with Dometic, such as they are.

I'm trying to get my Dometic RM 2804 cooling unit replaced right now. I was going to get one from the Amish place and try to do it myself. Is it very difficult?
Old 08-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #11

Send an email to Jerry and ask him. The website says to ask for instructions, so I did. He responded to me in a couple of hours.

CONTACT INFORMATION
David Force - 901-337-9948
Email:
rvrepair1029@comcast.net
rvcoolingunit-info@comcast.net
Old 08-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
I'm trying to get my Dometic RM 2804 cooling unit replaced right now. I was going to get one from the Amish place and try to do it myself. Is it very difficult?
Tyler6357, I had never done a cooling unit changeout before I tackled mine and figured if I ran into problems I could always take it to an RV repair guy and let them finish it. If you are at all mechanically inclined you can probably do it yourself. Sure you might need some help lifting out the old cooling unit and installing the new one as they weigh about 65 lbs, yours will weigh less, but the rest of the installation is pretty basic as long as you follow the instructions given and seal the new unit in place with the supplied can of instant foam. David Force is the contact at RV Cooling Unit Warehouse and he is really good at working with you if you have any questions. Here is a video I made while doing my installation. Hope it helps you.

Sammie
Norcold 1200 to Amish Cooling Unit Conversion.mpg - YouTube
Old 08-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Sammie, FWIW - if you called me, and said you had tried to replace the cooling unit and it was too much, and the job was halfway done, I would tell you to call someone else, because if something went wrong, you would hound me to death, even if the something was your fault, life is too short to deal with an unsatisified customer, when he/she/they caused the problem in the first place. Do yourself a favor, and don't attempt any repair on an RV you are not qualified to handle, as most techs would tell you no way. We are trained in residentail/low voltage systems, you might or might not be, we are trained in diagnosis of RV refers, and what the usual faults and failures are, and we are not looking for more trouble to do a job than we need, so maybe you will find someone to take over when you have messed it up, and hopefully you will. I won't touch it, thank you very much.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
Sammie, FWIW - if you called me, and said you had tried to replace the cooling unit and it was too much, and the job was halfway done, I would tell you to call someone else, because if something went wrong, you would hound me to death, even if the something was your fault, life is too short to deal with an unsatisified customer, when he/she/they caused the problem in the first place. Do yourself a favor, and don't attempt any repair on an RV you are not qualified to handle, as most techs would tell you no way. We are trained in residentail/low voltage systems, you might or might not be, we are trained in diagnosis of RV refers, and what the usual faults and failures are, and we are not looking for more trouble to do a job than we need, so maybe you will find someone to take over when you have messed it up, and hopefully you will. I won't touch it, thank you very much.
Thank You, Master Certified RV Tech

Sammie

Tags
dometic, refrigerator