Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2006, 08:27 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
I have a Dometic New Dimensions 12ft side by side refrigerator that is starting to act up. Up until now the large finned plate in the back of the refrigerator side has always frosted up while it was running. Now after a "melt down" on our return home, only the bottom and left of the plate is icing up. This causes problems of not enough cooling and over cooling at night due to the temp sensor being mounted on the right side of the plate where it is not as cool. I have checked out all of the controls, etc. But feel it is failing. My main problem at this point is that all of the repair people I talk to say that the plate does not frost up. Can anyone with the same unit tell me if your refrigerators cooling fins frost up or not?

Thank you for any info.
Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2006, 08:27 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I have a Dometic New Dimensions 12ft side by side refrigerator that is starting to act up. Up until now the large finned plate in the back of the refrigerator side has always frosted up while it was running. Now after a "melt down" on our return home, only the bottom and left of the plate is icing up. This causes problems of not enough cooling and over cooling at night due to the temp sensor being mounted on the right side of the plate where it is not as cool. I have checked out all of the controls, etc. But feel it is failing. My main problem at this point is that all of the repair people I talk to say that the plate does not frost up. Can anyone with the same unit tell me if your refrigerators cooling fins frost up or not?

Thank you for any info.
Dale
Old 08-14-2006, 09:14 AM   #3

www.rvmobile.com has heled us.
Ours frosts up but a small PC fan above the fins blowing down has helped.
The hot temps of late has caused ours to struggle to keep the temp down but just installed the baffles and fan behind the refrig per rvmobile. So far OK.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:18 PM   #4

Ours frosts up and every gas/electric refrigerator I have seen does also. Thought about the fan "trick" but haven't gotten around to it yet. Have never had trouble keeping it cool enough...even in 112 degree temps. There does seem to be cold spots so we have to be careful where we place things to keep them from freezing. Fan should fix that though...just not enough time.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:55 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Polloman and Steve,

Does the frost form on the whole fin area? Now that it is having a problem it has changed to icing on less than the total area. The ice is forming from the water condensing above it on the fins that are not cooling normally and running down onto the small cool area. The normal frosting is very slight but over the entire area. Frost only builds up after many weeks of use in humid areas.

I use the small fan inside the unit, I am not sure how much it helps. I also use a small fan behind the unit to help blow out the hot air. Until now I have never had any problems keeping it cool even in 115 degree temps.

Dale
Old 08-15-2006, 01:39 PM   #6

I'm not certain how much area frosts over. I believe it is about half to 2/3 the fin area. It doesn't take long to do it either, only about 2 -3 weeks.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote