RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #1

Dometic roof air conditioner Fan Motor problem on heat pump

Have you had this problem with this air conditioner and what fixed the problem?
In our 2003 Alpine Coach we have two Dometic® Duo-Therm Penguin- two-zone dual AC/dual 15,000 btu, w/integrated heat pumps, Model# 630516.321.
The rear air conditioner fan motor would not run on auto or low when on cool. I purchased and installed the capacitor #3100236.235 that I now discovered is for helping start the compressor….however the fan works fine on (auto, high, & low) when I set it to cool.
When I change the setting to heat via the heat pump, the same problem occurs as it did before where the fan settings for (auto & low)…the fan will not start & run. The fan works great when set to high when set on heat pump. I am considering buying & installing the Dometic conversion Mother Board- 3311557.000 for 630 models, and the Capacitor, Fan/Run 3100248.602.
What will fix our heat pump fan problem?? Thank you for your input!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2018, 01:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbguinn View Post
Have you had this problem with this air conditioner and what fixed the problem?
In our 2003 Alpine Coach we have two Dometic® Duo-Therm Penguin- two-zone dual AC/dual 15,000 btu, w/integrated heat pumps, Model# 630516.321.
The rear air conditioner fan motor would not run on auto or low when on cool. I purchased and installed the capacitor #3100236.235 that I now discovered is for helping start the compressor….however the fan works fine on (auto, high, & low) when I set it to cool.
When I change the setting to heat via the heat pump, the same problem occurs as it did before where the fan settings for (auto & low)…the fan will not start & run. The fan works great when set to high when set on heat pump. I am considering buying & installing the Dometic conversion Mother Board- 3311557.000 for 630 models, and the Capacitor, Fan/Run 3100248.602.
What will fix our heat pump fan problem?? Thank you for your input!!
I would try a new thermostat before spending money on a circuit board, go with the easy and cheap stuff first

Jmac00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW ... I had the exact situation occur on our rear AC. My son found a connectorized wire (wire with a push on connector) loose on the control board. We squeezed the connector with pliers to make it tighter and that fixed it It's worth a shot before spending that mountain of money on a new unit.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
FWIW ... I had the exact situation occur on our rear AC. My son found a connectorized wire (wire with a push on connector) loose on the control board. We squeezed the connector with pliers to make it tighter and that fixed it It's worth a shot before spending that mountain of money on a new unit.
Thank you for the great suggestion!! We are on the road & will be home in about two weeks. Will report outcome once I check for loose connectors.
Have experienced loose connections in our electrical system in the breaker box on the neutrals heating up cooking off insulation. I loosen then tighten each electrical screw connection once per year. If I don't loosen first, I can not establish if a screw has ceased from over heating.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:14 AM   #5

Problem fixed thanks to your suggestion

I opened up the air conditioner looking for a loose connector on the mother board as you suggested. What I found was along this idea. I found on the mother board a loose connector of three that was not pushed in fully until the side clip locked it in place. Each of the connectors were different colors & I have no clue what their purpose is.

When I installed the new capacitor I must have hit the clip on the connector & the connector was no longer properly plugged in.

That did the trick & the fan motor now works on automatic as well as low when running the system as a heat exchanger. I was ready to spend $200+ dollars for a new mother board & 2nd capacitor if your suggestion did not fix the problem.

THANK YOU!!
rbguinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioner, dometic, fan, heat, heat pump, roof