Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #1

What are some of the options for replacing the Comfort control center #3106463.007. Furnace will not work and the thermostat is suspect. Have 12.63 volts at the four wire cable which plugs in to the thermostat.
2000 Alpine 38 foot

Thanks,
Rod Sprague

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #2

Assume what you are saying is the thermostat has stopped working. Two quirks about the Dometic heat pump--1]only one zone can/will control the furnance [usually defaulted to front or zone 1; and, 2] the back unit is slaved to the front unit via the "dip" switch settings on each roof unit.
Guess I would also be curious as to why you "suspect" the thermostat is the problem over the furnance, eg, fuse, fan motor, propane, etc.

Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #3

Old Scout
The thermostat has been difficult to move from one mode to another and the temperature difficult to change with the buttons. Have removed the thermostat and cleaned the contacts under the buttons and air cleaned the on/off switch. It usually takes several pokes of the buttons for any change to occur in the display. With the Suburban SF42 forced air furnace is the front air conditioner also the controlling unit?
It would seem there sould be a junction or terminal block for the leads from each unit to meet at. It would be helpful if a schematic of the low voltage control wiring was available. Also have conduct a reset of the thermostat per a sheet in the thermostat folder that came with the coach. This did not improve the operation.
Thanks for the response and consideration of the problem.
Rod Sprague
Old 01-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #4

Additional information regarding the thermostat/furnace.
The water heater and furnace are on the same fuse. Checked the 15 amp fuse and it is good and also the hot water heater will ignite from the control switch in the cupboard.It appears there was a overheating of the wire at the fuse block and a new section of wire spliced to the furnace lead and relocated to the spare fuse position.
If there is another fuse what would be the location? The propane tank is full and the other gas appliances work well. Seems like there should be a way to bypass the thermostat to check the operation of the furnace however I do not know how to do that without opening up the furnace unit. I understand the function and operation of the limit switches and the sail switch. All the batteries all new.
Rod Sprague
Old 01-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Rod:

The thermostat is easily replaced. The control board sometimes melts with time and heat. Dometic has two types, one with four and one with five buttons. Mine was the five button and cost about $50-$60 IIRC.

The "wiring" (control cable) runs from the thermostat, to a little box (usually hidden behind your control center) then to the front A/C, then to the rear A/C (therefore referred to as slaved). I've been told that some original equipment in other brand coaches don't have the hidden box.

I found (the hard way) that the control boards in each of the A/C units needs to match, even if the A/Cs are different ages or models (i.e. one A/C unit was replaced).

Programming is via the aforementioned dip-switches. I had dips in all three boxes. Dometic is really pretty good at helping you troubleshoot it.

I bought my new thermostat at Camping World. It was in stock at the parts desk.

Lastly, the previous owner of my coach had eviscerated the hidden box, but was still using the dip switches. I'm not sure exactly why.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #6

Rod,
I assume you have the 4-button control, in which case the following website may be of help. bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ccc4.pdf
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #7

Thanks all for the input on the furnace problem. Issue is resolved and the culprit was a combination of an erratic thermostat and a fan motor with too much drag. Motor and thermostat were original to the coach install in 1999 so I was not disappointed is the life span of the parts.

Rod Sprague