Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Door Catch Fried

I had other posts about being locked out of my coach because the entry door handle wouldn't release the catch from the inside or outside. By removing the black plate from the inside, I can use a screwdriver to force the handle back more to get it open.

I have had 3 mobile RV repair people come out, and we have tried various solutions, including tightening the clamp that holds the cable, and even lubricating the pos-a-loc and cable below so it would slide more easily. Each solution worked for a few days and then I go back to the same problem. I don't know if the cable stretched, or what the problem is.

I need to find a competent service center that might know about the door mechanism. We will be in the Colorado Springs area soon, and later we'll be in the Elkhart, IN area, so I figure someone up there would be competent to do this. I called PTL Engineering, the Pos-a-Loc people hoping they could recommend someone, but they couldn't. Any suggestions?????

I'm getting desperate, as I never know when I'll have to crawl thru the window to get into the RV, nor when it will decide to fail, so I want it fixed right, once and for all... if that's possible in an RV.

Jerry & Shirley Friedman; Dusty & Cricket
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD
2015 Mobile Suites 38RSSB3
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
You might try Master Tech in Elkhart Like all RV shops, high per hour rate.
Call to make appointment ahead of time.

99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
I adjusted my door handles using the two turn buckles, one for each handle, so that they would open the latch sooner. The handles rotate about 90 degrees. Mine now unlatch at 45 degrees. This effects opening the door. The pos-a-loc cable can also be adjusted but only effects closing the door from full open. The picture in your other post of the latch assembly looks the same as mine. I don't see how the pos-a-loc adjustment can effect the door latch. You may have a problem with the door lock lever not clearing and sometimes interfering causing the handles to be blocked. Move the door lock lever back and forth and you will see a thin plastic tab rotate in and out that blocks the handles from moving enough to unlatch the door.
Jim & Sandy
2008 34' FDDS Alpine
Limited SE
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
Think JL has it right--adjusting the cable only impacts on the lock opening at the extremes. Adjusting the turn buckles that link the handle to the lock should do the trick [unlike a regular turn-buckles where the center nut adjusts both threaded ends, you have to unhook the threaded end[s] and adjust them seperately.
Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote