Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #1

Door Latches

Our door latches for compartments are starting to look quite worn. Has anyone refinished/repainted theirs? Interested as to how you did it and what you used to paint.

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Just did mine. Removed, sanded and painted with a black urethane paint. I use it on trailers and lot of stuff. Very durable. Be careful when removing to make sure you don't
tear the rubber gasket. Also bought a couple of new ones on ebay, just make sure you order the one with the correct length for the latch on the underside. If need I can get you the number.
jeepster1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Mine are in the same shape.......I was thinking of removing them and sending them out for powdercoating.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster1952 View Post
Just did mine. Removed, sanded and painted with a black urethane paint. I use it on trailers and lot of stuff. Very durable. Be careful when removing to make sure you don't
tear the rubber gasket. Also bought a couple of new ones on ebay, just make sure you order the one with the correct length for the latch on the underside. If need I can get you the number.

That would be awesome. Would also love the paint that you recommend?

Did you just tape around the key hole area? I’ve thought about taping the area off well and doing it in place.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:18 PM   #5

Added note: The Southco latches are all keyed alike, #751. Not just Alpines. When we had ours in storage the Pallazo next to us had an open door with the outside TV behind. I locked it for him. I believe just the cylinders can be ordered that use a “unique” key.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Mine are in the same shape.......I was thinking of removing them and sending them out for powdercoating.

Paul,

I currently have the rigid oil transfer pipe between the oil cooler and oil pan out for powder coating [emoji23]

I really don’t want to buy new ones, but wonder what the offset in price between powder coating and just buying new ones is...

I was trying to get this one done cheap. I’ve spent way too much this year [emoji15]

-New AC’s and thermostat
-Replaced old TV, re-did the A/V cabinet, new Soundbar
-Radiator replacement, new radiator hoses, sandblast and powder coat oil transfer pipe
-Re-sealed all roof fixtures
-Fiberglass roof coating
-Replaced kitchen and bathroom faucets
-Tires coming in June

It’s been a busy year [emoji57]
Old 04-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Added note: The Southco latches are all keyed alike, #751. Not just Alpines. When we had ours in storage the Pallazo next to us had an open door with the outside TV behind. I locked it for him. I believe just the cylinders can be ordered that use a “unique” key.

That’s good news for ease of install and not having to change cylinders!
Old 04-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #8

The locking latches are about $27/ea. I’m going to hit mine with $4 of Rust-Oleum. Maybe try to match the body paint, otherwise, black.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:42 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
That would be awesome. Would also love the paint that you recommend?

Did you just tape around the key hole area? I’ve thought about taping the area off well and doing it in place.

Thanks in advance.

The latches are easily removed for painting, one bolt and a “U” bracket. It is much easier to remove them all at one time then tape them. About every 2 years I pull mine, sand them then hit them with black Rustoleum. Like I said it lasts 2-3 years, but a rattle can of paint is about as cheap as you can get.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
The latches are easily removed for painting, one bolt and a “U” bracket. It is much easier to remove them all at one time then tape them. About every 2 years I pull mine, sand them then hit them with black Rustoleum. Like I said it lasts 2-3 years, but a rattle can of paint is about as cheap as you can get.

Sounds like a good plan to me! Just wondering what everyone was doing. $20 a latch x 10 is $200 in replacements. A can of rustoleum is about $5. I figure the replacements that are powder coated will only last about 3-5 years in that type of environment...
Old 04-20-2019, 09:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
After reading this thread, I went to the Safeco site and checked out the latches which look to be exactly what we have on our Alpines. According the the site, the latches are powder coated. Is it possible the original latches on our now 15+ year old coaches had a thin powder coating? I never looked that closely. Is there a way to tell?
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #12

Powder coating is eventually going to wear off, just like paint, it just lasts longer than paint.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #13

They offer a stainless version as well.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #14

That would look terrible against my gold paint job, unfortunately [emoji57]

Tags
door