Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #1

Door rattle

Well, for years I have been off and on trying to quiet down the rattling in our entry door. I always thought it was the mechanii (I made that up) in the door itself. I took apart the latch and stuffed it with foam. No help. My wife kept saying it was at the top of the door. I kind of assumed it was the screen door or the main door banging around. I had removed the locking mechanism at the top of the door a long time ago (wind slammed the door shut once....luckily I did not lock the the large window and got back in the coach) and it is just a cable up there....nothing to rattle. Got to looking at the scissor latch at the top. I wrapped some electrical tape on it and made wraps on both halves, so that when the door was shut, they would rub and dampen any motion. Finally less noise, but not all gone. I then took a piece of 5/16 plastic or nylon sheet and cut about 1 1/2 inches by 1 1/2 inches. I put a bit of a ramp on it. There is a screw in the door exactly where this piece needed to be to support the end of the scissor mechanism. Guess what.....looks like I no longer have noise from my door. We have put up with this for many years. It was getting worse as the pins wore in the mechanism.

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #2

I'll have to check that out on mine. I've rebuilt the latch setup twice, and its better for a while then all of a sudden its baa-aack. Drives me crazy.
Of course, that's a short drive.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #3

I posted on the scissor mechanism rattle several years ago. Your fix sounds better than mine. I have a piece of furniture pad on mine. I also find a few wraps of electrical tape on the door post helps.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Mine makes a noise sometimes on rough roads. WRV put a thin piece of rubber on top of the door to help but its to thin. A piece of plastic with a ramp on it sounds like a good solution. Be sure to put it on the door not the door frame. The distance between the scissor and the rubber seal on the screen door is very close. Mine rubs now but you can't see it without a latter. It will have a hole in it soon if I don't adjust.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
any chance for a photo?
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinom View Post
any chance for a photo?
I am having a couple of tires installed and some other maint done right now. Will take a pic when I have it back.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #7

Ok, here is a picture from the top looking down at the piece I made (orange). As I said, I used an existing screw and its hole in the door. I did counter-sink the plastic for the screw head. You can see the electrical tape on the scissors mechanism and the scrape on the plastic piece where the rivet at the end of the scissors mechanism touches it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3172.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	19862  
Old 04-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #8

Smile

I have not picked up my 2003 34FDDS yet, that will happen the 18th of this month. If the door is making noise it will get this treatment. Thanks for the pics.

Tags
door