Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #1

Drag link boot

I need to replace the boot on my drag link, (knuckle) socket assembly, on a 2001 coach. Has anybody found this part?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #2

Fred,

Yes, the boots are a common failure part. Many of us just grease them more frequently-- replace the whole thing only if there is play. They can go another 100k miles if kept greased.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #3

Fred--reference my earlier posts--I went on this "snipe-hunt" about 6 months ago. I found a dead end on replacement boots for the drag link. My boots were totally degraded but ball joints were in perfect condition. Several of the manufacturers I contacted stated they would not sell the boots separately because of "likely" damage to the joint when the boots failed. Tried looking for generic boots but most sites only had auto components, not heavy duty trucks. Did isolate replacement joints from Volvo truck--$80-90 each. Finally gave up and built my own replacements--used a 3/4" by 1" [internal dia]piece of radiator hose as a bushing on the threaded stud, then added a 1.5 by 4 inch strip of rubber around the bushing, secured with a radiator hose clap. Lots of grease on a frequent basis seems to keep water and dirt out.....
PS--approx. dimensions of the boots are: 3/4" width, small opening--1", large opening--2.25".....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:27 AM   #4

Drag Link Boot

Thanks for the post. I was just putting the post out to see if anybody had found them yet
Old 10-28-2015, 08:14 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Boot Part #

I recently had some PM work performed at my local Freightliner shop who identified bad drag link & tie rod boots while lubing the coach. They had no problem finding boots. Here is the part number and description:

RGT L24VC0109 Boot Seal $3.16/Each

I searched that part number and found several sources such as the following:

L24VC0109 by STERLING - BOOT SEAL

Hope this information helps.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:12 PM   #6

Bob--WRV went from the 48 degree wheel cut to the 52 degree during the 03 model year. My early 03 has the 48, suspect Fred's does too with his 2001. Wondering now if your 03 is 48 or 52 and if it is 52, have the end joints changed with the newer cut vs the 48??? I went ahead and ordered a pair [3$ each] to see if they work on my 48......
Old 10-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
Commercial Member

if you know the part number for the tie rod ends, and the drag links,, napa may be able to order the boot. i had problems with my freightliner steering links, (most of them) and was able to have napa locate them for me.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #8

As mentioned earlier, I ordered a couple of grease boots from the Sterling source referenced in Bob's input. Shipping and handling cost more that the two boots. Havent installed boots yet but initial look suggests they will probably work--large and small opening dimensions are correct--only real differences are that: 1] the OEM boots were fastened to the ball joint via a compression ban, new boots dont seem to have the necessary outside groove on the large end to accommodate a ban; and 2] the overall width of the new boot is about 1.25 inches while the space between the arm and the joint is about .75--guess that would provide for some "bulge" in the boots when installed. Not sure how sturdy the OEM boot material was as it was badly deteriorate, but new boots are pretty thin...Will have to "pop" the joints again and replace my "home-made" seals--front joint is pretty accessable but rear joint is a PITA to get at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2082.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	111564  
Old 11-09-2015, 09:01 PM   #9

Thanks, Dean,

Keep us posted.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:35 PM   #10

Installed the grease boots today--everything went as expected. The aforementioned boots were a good fit. Since they are of a more generic design and don't have the lip on the large opening to accommodate a compression ban, they tend to extend a bit over the edge of the end joint. Doesn't appear that either the generic design or the extra width will effect the boot's ability to seal the joint....
PS--used a medium size gear puller to "pop" the studs on the joints....
Old 11-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #11

Thanks for the update. Will check mine tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #12

2000 Alpine Drag Link Ball Joint Dust Cover

This may or may not apply to anyone else, but here's what I recently found out and did for my 2000 '36 Alpine. The front drag link ball joint had a cut in it (from road debris) but the ball joint seemed tight and unworn, so I went looking for a dust cover or boot. The dimensions listed above didn't seem to apply to my ball joints. The dimensions measured on my unit were: Large I.D. end or base 1.855", small I.D. or the base of the tapered end .875 and height from the large opening to the small opening of .900". All those numbers have some wiggle room since a rubber boot needs to stretch some and have a tight fit (but not too tight). Looking around the web I found this company: Aftermarket Universal Dust Boots | Polyurethane Replacement Dust Cover
I found that PN 191820 had the correct opening sizes but was too tall. Since it had straight sides, I just cut off .700 from the base (as you can see the strip in the picture). The rubber is very thick and required more than scissors to cut it; I used sheet metal shears. With that modification, it fit tightly and seems be a good fit. There is no compression band on the big end as was originally there. But pushed on by the steering box arm, the fit is tight preventing dust from getting in and restricting grease from getting out too easily.
Click image for larger version

Name:	BallJointForum.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	141450