RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Draining the Fuel/Water Sep Spin-On filter

Im changing the Fuel/Water Sep Spin-On filter and open the valve to drain the filter and so far 5 gallons has drained out. Will it stop or am i doing something wrong?

Dennis

dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yes you are doing something wrong. You don't really drain the filter you just open the drain long enough to get maybe a couple tablespoons of fuel into a clear plastic bag so that you can inspect for water in the fuel. Inspect the fuel for visable water if non you are good to go. If water is present you need to change filters and purchase a fuel treatment.

If you leave the drain open as you are doing you will empty maybe half a tank of fuel out.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Brian, yes im changing the filter so guess i just spin it off and put the new one on as quick as i can to keep from losing to much fuel. Thank you for the info

Dennis
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you can get the nose down it will not drain so much out. Many people wait until they have a low tank of fuel to do this. Others have installed a shutoff valve in the line coming from the tank. I personally will also pre-fill my filters through the small holes as I have had problems with air locking the system when installing them dry.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #5

I had to have my fuel/water sep. filter changed in Alaska and took it to a small shop out of fear that I would make a mess in the campground. I watched as they changed the filter using a small pan and they did not lose much fuel. He put the new one on (I keep a spare),and then had me prime the filter by turning the ignition on several times, do not start the engine until it is fully primed. There was trash in my filter not water. The 400 ISL ran like new after that. The filter is FS1022.

Jim Durley
2004 Alpine 40MDTS
Jim Durley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:27 AM   #6

Physics is physics.

If the level of fuel in the tank is HIGHER than the filter head, fuel will drain out until the level equalized. Could be 40 gallons.

SO, best solution is to install a ball valve on the inlet side of the primary filter. Shut it off when changing filters. Also an EXCELLENT anti-theft device!

Second best is to try to change filters with approximately the same fuel level as filter head.

Third best is to QUICKLY change the filter with fuel level in the tank higher.

Absolute worse is for level in the tank to be lower (either low fuel level or nose-up). In that scenario, the fuel will drain back from filter head to tank, leaving you with 30+' of AIR in the fuel line. Diesels do NOT run on air plus air!

Tags
fuel, water