Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:06 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Driving or Fog Lights Don't Work

I'm having trouble getting my driving or fog lights to work. Replaced Hella 500 light on driver's side after OEM light was broken by rock and lights only worked afterwards one time. Then I had to pull the headlight switch out, push the driving light switch on (between Allison controls and side mirror adjustment knobs), and turn headlights to Hi Beam and both driving lights came on and stayed on. Later, no such luck. Both are wired directly by OEM to Hi Beam. Not sure where a 20 amp fuse might be. Any thoughts?

robbyray
2008 Alpine 36' FDDS

robbyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 11:41 AM   #2

Have you checked all connections and ground to new light and rewire the new light exactly as the broken light was wired? When replacing new light did the new light have the same wiring configuration as the old light?
If all else fails you might try installing the other light from the kit after you find and inspect the fuse. Please post where the fuse is located when you find it. Good luck.

40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:03 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Bear View Post
Have you checked all connections and ground to new light and rewire the new light exactly as the broken light was wired? When replacing new light did the new light have the same wiring configuration as the old light?
If all else fails you might try installing the other light from the kit after you find and inspect the fuse. Please post where the fuse is located when you find it. Good luck.
Rusty Bear: Hooked up replacement exactly like the original and it worked provided I pulled out the lights knob and turned on the driving lights switch. However, when I shut down after everything working, nothing came back on upon a re-try. Weird.

Fuses, couldn't find an in-line 20 amp fuse which would have been typical and the front firewall has the electronic (no fuse) system, so I'm stuck until I get to the dealer with the diagnostics to check out the malfunction. I could run a new fuse and relay system for the two running lights but that gets to be problematic relative to the switch that I would need to run through the firewall to manually activate the driving lights independent of whether the headlights are on hi-beam or low-beam. But the more I mess around trying to get the OEM configuation to work, the more I like the independent system of having a separate fuse and relay system with a new switch (if I can get it through the firewall into the driver's side area).
Old 11-01-2014, 01:42 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Turn the chassis disconnect switch off then on. This will reset the Vansco for the driving lights. If it goes off again you have a short somewhere.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:03 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"turn headlights to Hi Beam and both driving lights came on and stayed on. Later, no such luck. Both are wired directly by OEM to Hi Beam"

I have three vehicles with fog/driving lights and they only work with LOW BEAM
Old 11-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Here is something I just discovered. My driving lights (headlights) come on when I put the tranny in gear and go out when in neutral. The Hella fog lamps are controlled by a switch located aft of the transmission control panel.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet and Todd View Post
Here is something I just discovered. My driving lights (headlights) come on when I put the tranny in gear and go out when in neutral. The Hella fog lamps are controlled by a switch located aft of the transmission control panel.
Did you resolve your light problem yet? I just replaced my Hella running lights because one was broken by a rock. The install was very simple and the lights are working fine. Good luck with your lights.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:56 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
RB - Guilty of not reading all the post in this thread, but, Food for thought, our coaches from 2005 forward have the vansco system with the computer control boxes front and rear. Those boxes have something to do with the lights working properly. It was stated, those running lights don't work unless the coach is in Drive and the brake off. They don't work in neutral, only in drive. Headlight switch will turn on low beams, unless you flick the turn signal handle and put on the high beams. Please note, owners of other brands will not be able to help Alpine owners with their coach chassis or engine/transmission issues, our work differently, and make no sense to anyone other than another alpine owner.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:55 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks RB and ORV: I had my new running light installed correctly but I experienced erratic behavior inconsistent with some of the feedback from folks:
1) Auxiliary "running" lights worked two or three different times with engine running, in neutral, parking brake on and worked both with hi or low beam on, after activating running light switch on transmission console.
2) Once after working as in #1, still stationary, in neutral, etc., they didn't work. I shut down engine, reset Vansco using chassis power disconnect in battery bay and lights worked again in #1 configuration but that was the last time I could get the driving lights to come on in neutral, parking brake on and engine running. Have shut down for a week or two, but will try resetting the Vansco, and using the "in gear with parking brake off" mode next to see if I can get these things working on a regular basis. Thanks for the help. ray

Tags
lights