Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:52 PM   #15

On this topic where would one go to have proper awnings fitted over the windows and door? It's one of the few features that the coach we're looking at doesn't have.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 05:44 AM   #16

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
3 AIR CONDITIONERS
Actually there are two Alpines with 3 AC units: The Apex we factory ordered (Gary & Renee have it now) and a Cummins test bed coach that Vic Egg told me about.

WHY?
3 15K AC units & the required 10K genset is definitely overkill for a well insulated 40' Alpine for most situations. BUT with our 3 previous coaches (2 Alpines 40' & 38' & a Beaver), we, like others noted above, got in to a lot of situations where 2 simply will not cool the front of the coach. So, as long as I was having the coach built we jumped in and did it.

DOWNSIDE
Besides the weight of the 3rd AC unit, the 10 K genset is quite a bit heavier than the 7.5K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	92581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpine with 3 AC (Cummins).JPG
Views:	42
Size:	649.8 KB
ID:	92582  

Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Except that most coaches in the category you are looking at came with ... The Norcold 1200. There is reason that almost all new DP's come with a residential fridge and so many people have converted to them from propane.

Since you have determined that 3 AC's are necessary for you (and I concur), why not look for a coach that already has 3 AC's and the wiring and genset to support them. Many of the over-40 Monacos, Newmars, and Country Coaches are so equipped.
Being in California, going over 40' means that you have to get a different license to operate it (and I'd never get my wife to do that without more hassle than it's worth), and I really liked the Alpine's big holding tanks as well as the SpaceBed setup on some of the later units.

And having heard that folks even with the best units struggle with 2 a/c units actually tells me in a way that my current coach really isn't that bad (I was expecting folks to say they had no issues, and I was going to blame my coach) -- and there is a way for me to add a 3rd indoor unit to my coach without too much pain and suffering, so that's likely the way I will end up going.

Me being sensible...who would have thunk it?

Steve
Old 04-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #18

Steve, I understand the issue, I use my coach at all of the local tracks in the paddock, I can say from experience that ButtonWillow in June is way too hot for 2 AC units to keep the front of the coach much cooler than about 85. Granted, that the temperature is in the 110 plus range. I will say, 85 feels great when it is 110 plus outside though! As soon as the sun goes down, the bedroom is very comfortable.

Hope something works out for you!
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:55 PM   #19

I added a 3rd AC to my 2005 last year. I installed it where the kitchen ceiling vent was. I routed a 12/2 cable from the ceiling area to the breaker box and replaced the front AC breaker with 2 slim type breakers of the same size.

We were unable to keep the coach cool enough in July and August in the Branson area. With the 3rd AC all is good now.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answer is "It Depends" I will give some guidelines.

Kalkaska, MI.. Very likely YES two will do it, you may need the furnace at night though.

Townsend, GA (Where I am stuck) things are a bit different.

At night only: Yes, two will do the job once the sun goes down and up to around noon tomorrow.
During the heat of the afternoon sun.. No, not likely,, But there is a way to cope.. Take a page out of the lifestyle of our neighbors farther south. SIESTA. That is why they do it.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBrzn2 View Post
Steve, I understand the issue, I use my coach at all of the local tracks in the paddock, I can say from experience that ButtonWillow in June is way too hot ...
Ah yes, the Underworld Grand Prix. The only races I can recall where they shows the crossed flags NASCAR-style to indicate the halfway point of the race for those who needed to complete the race for their license but couldn't hold up for the entire distance!

Steve
Old 05-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne R View Post
I added a 3rd AC to my 2005 last year. I installed it where the kitchen ceiling vent was. I routed a 12/2 cable from the ceiling area to the breaker box and replaced the front AC breaker with 2 slim type breakers of the same size.

We were unable to keep the coach cool enough in July and August in the Branson area. With the 3rd AC all is good now.
Wayne..
Did you stay with the same gen set...? My coach has a 7500 watt gen which would be plenty, it seems to me, for 3 a/c's unless they all kicked set in simultaneously.

I believe the number of slides makes a huge difference in a/c performance....and window coverings.

I have a 40' front door, single large living and kitchen slide, that two a/c's cool comfortably in Texas year round.

Oh...and it's exterior is mostly white...which also makes a huge difference...especially in Texas.

I had a 37' Fleetwood Limited that two a/c's would barely keep up and it had no slides...so the insulation in my Alpine must be considerably better than the Fleetwood.

I always park with the rear of the coach toward the west if possible....it makes a difference.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StansCustoms View Post

I believe the number of slides makes a huge difference in a/c performance....and window coverings.

I have a 40' front door, single large living and kitchen slide, that two a/c's cool comfortably in Texas year round.

Oh...and it's exterior is mostly white...which also makes a huge difference...especially in Texas.

I always park with the rear of the coach toward the west if possible....it makes a difference.
I think we have never had a problem because we only have one slide, 36' and are mostly white. Mostly white I am sure is a big plus

Patty and I still can't ever recall being hot with two A/C's running...with only 30 amp running one in 110 degree heat ....heck yes