Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #1

Duckbill Air Intake Check Valve

Don't laugh, there really are such things as duckbill air intake check valves, and mine seems to have flown the coop, so to speak. Cummins NW, Coburg, OR did the annual engine service last month and noted on the invoice that, "Duckbill is missing from air intake." Cummins does not ordinarily stock these check valves, and was in the process of locating some in Portland - no word yet on their progress.
Does anyone happen to have any information, part numbers and manufacturer, on these items that WRV might have used? In checking the internet, Donaldson Filtration Solutions seems to be a major player in filters, filter housings, and these types of check valves; but who knows which one is appropriate for a 2006, 400 ISL, Alpine?

http://www.donaldsonoemfiltration.co...dfs/055477.pdf
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2017, 05:44 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog Pilot View Post
Don't laugh, there really are such things as duckbill air intake check valves, and mine seems to have flown the coop, so to speak. Cummins NW, Coburg, OR did the annual engine service last month and noted on the invoice that, "Duckbill is missing from air intake." Cummins does not ordinarily stock these check valves, and was in the process of locating some in Portland - no word yet on their progress.
Does anyone happen to have any information, part numbers and manufacturer, on these items that WRV might have used? In checking the internet, Donaldson Filtration Solutions seems to be a major player in filters, filter housings, and these types of check valves; but who knows which one is appropriate for a 2006, 400 ISL, Alpine?

http://www.donaldsonoemfiltration.co...dfs/055477.pdf

Dick, I assume you are talking about the rubber (?) fitting that keeps dirt out when the compressor releases pressure, correct? I noticed mine flew the coop also (maybe yours and mine hooked up somewhere around the Mississippi, I understand ducks do that) and have been looking for one. My next step will be to go to a large truck repair shop and they probably have them by the hundred (the attachment system does not look that substantial).
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #3

Think OP is talking about the rubber drain valve at the bottom of the air intake pipe, but before the air filter canister. Purpose, I believe, is to allow water/moisture that has gotten in thru the in-take to drain out before it gets to the air filter. Short term, its probably not that big a deal as water will continue to drain and only a limited amount of air can be taken in thru the opening [still before air filter]. Probably a non-standard part, particular to the chassis manufacture--think I would try a truck parts place like Ogburn???????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #4

From the PDF link in Dave's post above, you may be able to narrow it down.

If not take a picture with dimensions and shoot it to Donaldson.

And, yes, since made of rubber, the do deteriorate and need to be replaced.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #5

Thank you one and all. Indeed the duckbills are rubber parts and are located in the air intake ducting (how appropriate) just prior to the filter canister. As I understand it duckbill check valves are designed to expel water, and perhaps dust, prior to getting into the filter - filters obviously do not like either. Right now I am using a tight fitting plastic slip-over cap with a slit in it; but of course it would be nice to have the correct part one of these days.
Dave, you did remind me about the exhaust of the air compressor though. Quite some time ago here on the Forum one of the contributors had a nifty idea for those of us who get out into desert areas. He used a 90 degree rubber or plastic fitting to deflect the straight down exhausting of air that blasts into the dirt so that it doesn't kick up so much dust that eventually seems to end up in the battery compartment. Just check out the Alpine arrivals at the January DRR's and see how much dust gets blasted as the compressor cycles, it will make a believer out of you. This is another of those easy projects that seems to always slip off my to-do list; but one of these days I've got to get this Home Depot part and see if it really works.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
The duckbill is part of the Moisture Skimmer system on our Alpines. Mine was missing when we bought the coach. I'll try to locate where I bought it and give you the link. I think I bought it directly from Donaldson.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #7

This document I received when I purchased the coach 2001. I hope it will be helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IRV2.pdf (20.1 KB, 82 views)
Old 07-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #8

Great information, and thank you Fred. You might want to submit this for the ACA Technical File.

Surprise, surprise, just a few minutes ago a package arrived from Cummins NW, Coburg, OR with a new duckbill. If that isn't terrific service I don't know what is. This one will be going on with an appropriate hose clamp; can't just have these crazy duckbills flying loose all over the place.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:41 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
This 'L FIX IT

2003 Alpine Coach, 36' FDDS

I used a nylon wire tie and green Scotch Scratch Pad on it. The water drains out and it filters the air in. See attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170727_193031.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	170428  
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:13 PM   #10

Researching the replacement "duckbill" I received from Cummins NW, Coburg, OR I found that it is manufactured by Donaldson Filtration, part # P158914 and is readily available on eBay and other internet sources for around $4.00 - $6.00.
Amazon has them too and I would like to hope they got the decimal point in the wrong place because they want $46.60 + $9.95 shipping - ouch, a major mistake or some hideous markup to be sure. Bet not many are sold at that price.