Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #1

Dust Control

How do you get rid of and control the dust in hard to reach places like the fuse panel in front of the passenger seat, behind the HWH control panel, the inverter/charger etc? I would say the previous owners never attempted to keep the dust out. I have tried using compressed air from one of those computer keyboard air cans to no avail. Used a microfiber rag but can't get it all. Any ideas out there?

Geoff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinedrvr View Post
How do you get rid of and control the dust in hard to reach places like the fuse panel in front of the passenger seat, behind the HWH control panel, the inverter/charger etc? I would say the previous owners never attempted to keep the dust out. I have tried using compressed air from one of those computer keyboard air cans to no avail. Used a microfiber rag but can't get it all. Any ideas out there? Geoff
Air compressor and blow nozzle ? That is what the car detailers use to get the dust out of the cracks and crevices in the interiors of cars.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #3

I use the Minnie Dirt Devel with the brush attachment where I can. I will use compressed air (with line pressure set around 15_20 lbs) to get into spots the dirt devel can't get too. Hope this helps.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #4

Quote:
How do you get rid of and control the dust in hard to reach places like the fuse panel in front of the passenger seat, behind the HWH control panel, the inverter/charger etc? I would say the previous owners never attempted to keep the dust out. I have tried using compressed air from one of those computer keyboard air cans to no avail. Used a microfiber rag but can't get it all. Any ideas out there?

Geoff
You must be really bored
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #5

Nope not really bored but just want to get some of the dust out that is causing some allergy issues. Every time we turn the furnace on for example we get that dust aroma for a while. Same with the dash air/heat.

Geoff
Old 02-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #6

Well using the air compressor isn't going to help your allergies if it blows dust into the air. You may want to try an air purifier like this.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Combine your air compressor (or canned air) with your vacuum's wand and crevice tool. Works a treat.
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #8

Thanks for the suggestions everyone I'll give them a try! John that air purifier idea is a good one. I'll try that after I get some of the dust out. That is if I'm still able to after the asthma attack! Just curious too John how do you clean for instance the dash air grills that seem to be a great place for dust to collect?

Geoff
Old 02-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have severe allergy problems. I used the little vac brushes detailers use along with compressed air from air compressor along with a vacuum. The whole time wearing a dust mask. We also run a Honeywell Hepa filter.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have severe allergies. I use the little vac brushes that detailers use. Air from my compressor with a couple different nozzles. I also use towels and fine mist of vinegar water mix where I can without harming anything (ductwork and such).

We also run a Honeywell HEPA filter from Home Depot.
http://m.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/...atalogId=10053

I wear a dust mask while doing most if it. Once you get it clean it's not to bad to keep it touched up
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone I'll give them a try! John that air purifier idea is a good one. I'll try that after I get some of the dust out. That is if I'm still able to after the asthma attack! Just curious too John how do you clean for instance the dash air grills that seem to be a great place for dust to collect?

Geoff
If you pull the panel ahead of the passenger and then remove the panel to the left of that (may be a couple of screws holding this) you should find the blower. Remove the motor/impeller unit and you should have access to the vent inlet and outlets. I would vacuum this and then blow air from the front of the outlet grills so you are blowing it back to the motor. Keep the vacuum going and you should clear most of the dust out of those grilles and hoses.
BTW. This is all theory as, although I have removed the blower motor, I have never needed to clean the duct work.
P.S. You might want to look at putting a filter on the inlet side to the heater if you get asthma. Also don't forget to wash your a/c filters frequently.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
If you want to get your dash A/C and heater coils clean here is what I do.

Remove the passenger side dash cover. Remove dash fan motor (3 screws) with the attached squirrel cage fan. Through the open hole you now have access to the top of the coils. From you hardware store buy a spray can of coil cleaner (usually in the filter area). This is a foaming, coil safe soap. Through the open hole spray the coil cleaner onto the coil covering it, wait for the foam to subside and repeat several times. There are two coils stacked together and you want the soap to penetrate all the way through. Let stand for 10 min. and then rinse. I use the garden hose with a fine mist nozzle. Rinse a little bit at a time allowing the water/soap time to run out the drain tub and outside air intake opening (these are locate on the passenger side, generator side).
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #13

The likely culprit is your carpet, window trims, window blinds, air conditioner ductwork, and furnace ductwork.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #14

Dust in hidden areas is a protective layer of patina that should never be disturbed.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote